• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peach Momoko Appreciation Thread
11 11

210 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, DTM700 said:

100% this. 
Remember when Adam Hughes Catwoman series blew up? Or JSC really started pumping out those 3 set variants? Dell’otto, Mattina, Sanders, Artgem. All flavor of the month. Unfortunately that’s where we are with moderns now; jumping from one artist or series or character to the next hoping we hit a homerun with the next big thing.

Are you saying Hughes and Dell Otto are flavor of the month? Those are two of the best cover artists of all time. Also, JSC has some amazing work out there. Please clarify for me because I didn’t think anyone could not like Adam Hughes. That Catwoman run is great. Not trying to start a scrap, just curious. 

17 minutes ago, Summydad1 said:

Are you saying Hughes and Dell Otto are flavor of the month? Those are two of the best cover artists of all time. Also, JSC has some amazing work out there. Please clarify for me because I didn’t think anyone could not like Adam Hughes. That Catwoman run is great. Not trying to start a scrap, just curious. 

In my opinion, and that's just that - an opinion of a random person on the internet, you can be a great artist and still have a moment where you become a flavor of the month. Does Dell'Otto have excellent work? Sure does! I own quite a few of his comics and have one of his OA pieces. Does Adam Hughes have great work too? Absolutely. I own a few of his 2006 Catwoman series. But I believe there are times when an artist, whether new or old, suddenly blows up and becomes a flavor of the month. Artists and series alike have ebbs and flow in popularity. Especially in moderns where one moment an artist is huge then months later a different artist is the next big thing. Being a flavor of the month doesn't mean your work suddenly sucks when you lose popularity, it just means you are no longer the center of the spotlight.

1 hour ago, DTM700 said:

In my opinion, and that's just that - an opinion of a random person on the internet, you can be a great artist and still have a moment where you become a flavor of the month. Does Dell'Otto have excellent work? Sure does! I own quite a few of his comics and have one of his OA pieces. Does Adam Hughes have great work too? Absolutely. I own a few of his 2006 Catwoman series. But I believe there are times when an artist, whether new or old, suddenly blows up and becomes a flavor of the month. Artists and series alike have ebbs and flow in popularity. Especially in moderns where one moment an artist is huge then months later a different artist is the next big thing. Being a flavor of the month doesn't mean your work suddenly sucks when you lose popularity, it just means you are no longer the center of the spotlight.

Ok cool. I understand exactly what you are saying and I agree that it happens a lot in moderns. My views of Dell Otto and Hughes are that they transcend “flavor of the month” status. Flavor of the month implies an ebb and flow as you stated. Sure when a new and hot artist comes along they are the flavor that month and inevitably some will fade and others will rise but some artists pass through that status and continue on just as popular. All flow and no ebb. This is just my opinion too. Also, I would love to own OA from either Hughes or Dell Otto. 

23 hours ago, Rhymenoceros said:

Most discussions I saw about it had people pretty unimpressed with the cover. I definitely don't understand the appeal of a virgin variant - it just seems wrong without the trade dress.

9 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Most discussions I saw about it had people pretty unimpressed with the cover. I definitely don't understand the appeal of a virgin variant - it just seems wrong without the trade dress.

The virgin and trade raw set is sold out now apparently - just checked the site.  As long as virgin = smaller print run I think the appeal and higher values will keep up across the board. It would for sure be interesting to see how things would go with virgin variants if they were printed at the same ratio as the trade dress all around. 

34 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Yeah, I have to agree.  At first glance, it looks good, but my mind keeps comparing it to Todd McFarlane's cover.  Lol.  Just not the same. :bigsmile:

20 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

I was bummed that I missed out on Momoko ASM #47.  That one sold out quick.  Oh well.  (shrug)

If you mean #46 Comic Mint still has the trade dress available. If you meant 47 I'm in the same boat as you in missing out because I haven't seen anything about it. 😕

15 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

If you mean #46 Comic Mint still has the trade dress available. If you meant 47 I'm in the same boat as you in missing out because I haven't seen anything about it. 😕

Yeah, I meant #46.  I was looking for the virgin copy but can't find it.  Thanks for the correction. (thumbsu

On 7/27/2020 at 11:55 AM, Galen130 said:

Yeah, I meant #46.  I was looking for the virgin copy but can't find it.  Thanks for the correction. (thumbsu

It went pretty quick. I happen to luck in on both. Usually, I'm late. I was going to think about this series but I went ahead and bought it. Seems like the next day it was gone....46 was a 1000. I think this one was 1500....

5 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

Can't believe the SDCC Usagi Yojimbos are selling for $400+ on eBay. Makes me wonder if I should send mine in to be slabbed or just try and move it right away. 

I think it'll hold it's value as it's limited to 200. Also with the Usagi TV show that's bee mooted I think there'll be demand for this down the line. If I were you, I'd get it slabbed.