• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color touch much?

20 posts in this topic

If you're going to try to scam, don't show close-ups of the spines.

FF5

FF2

The trimming bothers me more than the color touch, frankly. 27_laughing.gif

Ditto. Reminds me of another celebrated ebay seller......

Who? Blazing Bob?

JUST KIDDING BOB. 27_laughing.gif

FF5

FF2

I see it in the 5, but am missing it in the 2, can you help point out where it is located?

Look at the closeup of the ULHC - where the "The" is. It's fuzzy in the letters and doesn't blend. Also look in the grey at the LHC, really all along the spine. Any book with spine corners that sharp and ANY wear anywhere else should scream resto.

FF5

FF2

I see it in the 5, but am missing it in the 2, can you help point out where it is located?

Look at the closeup of the ULHC - where the "The" is. It's fuzzy in the letters and doesn't blend. Also look in the grey at the LHC, really all along the spine. Any book with spine corners that sharp and ANY wear anywhere else should scream resto.

AND, he grades it as a 9.2+.........guess he doesn't discount for those NCB creases by the top staple.

gotta give him credit for "balls" though - i mean he's laid this book out for full inspection. suspect he wants to be able to show that he did everything in his power to openly display the book.

AND, he never claims the book to be unrestored.

AND, there's a 100% money-back guarantee ......-.....for 24 hours........ 893whatthe.gif

Bottom-line for me is the old tried-and-true question - why try and sell a potential 9.2, unrestored FF #2, RAW??? answer - there is NO good reason.......... sumo.gif

I don't think that's interleaving paper...probably just put the paper there for contrast. As far as the books he has up for sale, A HUGE, complete raw FF collection sold a few weeks back in VERY hi grades. AARDVARKPS sold the lot and openly declared whichever restored books there were as restored. thumbsup2.gif Can't remember who bought it (does anyone remember the auction?) but it may have been this guy and I think now he is piecing the collection out under a different name. To be fair I have to say that AARDVARKPS is a solid seller, decent grading (compared to most of ebay) and very fair when it comes to problems so this has nothing to do with him.

That is my take. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There are pieces added as well But only to the cover It is so noticable that a school kid could point it out

Re: The FF 5

Unless the rat chewed through the inside pages ONLY, I suspect that the lower corners front and back cover are pieces added.

Interestingly one of the scans of the FF 5 shows microchamber paper sticking out. Not sure if that helps with the history of the book (i.e. it was previously CGC'd), but you never know......

well, since Comic Supply sells microchamber paper, I'm not sure that's correct although I think your instinct is right.

There are pieces added as well But only to the cover It is so noticable that a school kid could point it out

Unless the rat chewed through the inside pages ONLY, I suspect that the lower corners front and back cover are pieces added.

I agree.

I agree.

ya think? 27_laughing.gif

brc2xe.jpg

ridiculous. it looks like an ice cream sandwich for pete's sake

FF5

FF2

AND, he grades it as a 9.2+.........guess he doesn't discount for those NCB creases by the top staple.

gotta give him credit for "balls" though - i mean he's laid this book out for full inspection. suspect he wants to be able to show that he did everything in his power to openly display the book.

AND, there's a 100% money-back guarantee ......-.....for 24 hours........ 893whatthe.gif

Bottom-line for me is the old tried-and-true question - why try and sell a potential 9.2, unrestored FF #2, RAW??? answer - there is NO good reason.......... sumo.gif

I emailed him asking if he would be willing to state in the auction that the books are unrestored. No answer yet.

FF5

FF2

I emailed him asking if he would be willing to state in the auction that the books are unrestored. No answer yet.

Did you get a reply yet? I did:

Hello-

Obviously, with a book of this caliber and value, restoration is always a concern. I have been collecting and selling comics for 20 years and I can tell you that, after a thorough examination, I was unable to detect any sign of restoration. I went over it with a black light and detected no irregularities. All of the cover inks are consistent, with no evidence of color touch.

The book will really blow your mind when you hold it in your hand. It's beautiful. But as far as the restoration, ultimately, you won't feel comfortable until you hold it in your hand and examine it your self. That is why I am providing the money-back guarantee. I would be completely shocked if someone sent this book back to me and I would gladly take it.

I offer the return period so that you can send the books back if you have any problems. I just don't want an e-mail two months later requesting a return. I do understand your position, but I hope you also understand mine.

Thanx

-Thomas

no answer. I'm guessing by his ID that he's a lawyer and realizes that his wording gives him an out for taking returns. He never says that it's NOT restored in the description, therefore his description isn't inaccurate. The 24 hour time period isn't delineated either. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I posed the following question...

If the books were submitted to CGC and came back as Restored ... would you offer a full refund? Much Obliged, J. The convoluted answer is as follows...

"As far as CGC, I honestly don't want to take the time. I definitely would if I had to, but the interest in these books is so overwhelming that I really don't need to go through the hassle. It would be different if I was hurting to sell them but I simply don't need to wait weeks/months to get the deal completed. If I wanted to wait, I would just CGC them my self and sell them for $50,000.

I offer the return period so that you can send the books back if you have any problems. I just don't want an e-mail two months later requesting a return. I do understand your position, but I hope you also understand mine.

Thanx -Thomas"