• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is ANYONE even looking?

14 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33807&item=6554649730

Avengers 98. Sure, a low grade reader, but cheap, and the grade isn't in the title. My counter says 4 (four) people have looked at this in the last 4 days. I'm pretty sure two of them were me from different computers. Wow, is anyone looking at ebay auctions? That's a fairly desireable issue, isn't it? you'd think people would look, even if they ultimately don't bid because they want higher grade.

Major dead time on ebay, at least for auctions.

I have a beat up jungle girl golden age reader up too, but at least 35 people have looked at that one. i guess golden age has a lot of people looking at not that many auctions.

well, it's up to 39 "views" now, presumably because of this thread. now my little beat to heck avengers 98 feels loved. it was very sad before.

anyway, like I said, i don't necessarily expect a bunch of bids on this reader copy, although, believe it or not, stuff like this does generally sell when priced around OPG "good", give or take. there are more people working on a budget than who can afford the $400 (or whatever it costs) 9.6 slab of this book.

(and if you like beat-but-complete(ish) readers, I have a bunch up right now!)

yup, and it's a common book in not so high grade as well! perhaps it's a rare book in really low grade? i always wonder about this "common" stuff though given how I've sold two reader copies of FF 48 recently for (well) over guide.

looking at completed auctions, i see now that i overestimated its appeal, Avengers 100 seemingly sells in virtually any grade, but this isn't Avengers 100. i still won't be surprised if it sells... people seem to be willing to pay $3-$4 for a beat to heck copy of some books, but less willing to pay $10 for a nice solid Fine to VF copy of the same issue. it's weird

i'm not too surprised it's not getting much interest. It's not a key issue, and it looks like it's about in the 3.0-4.5 range (can't grade in the least), which would mean this book guides for about 5-6 bucks. You may catch someone who's looking for some beat up readers, but most will hold out for a higher grade issue.

it'll sell...eventually, but perhaps in my store in 3, 6, 9 whatever months. i was hoping that, as an auction, it might generate some traffic, even if it was to beat up for most people.

i was more commenting on how i was surprised that only 2 people (other than me) had even looked at it (now it has plenty of views), not so much the status of lack of bidding. kind of an indicator that things are really dead. it's a semi-sought after issue, although I guess perhaps I'm skewed by my early 80s perspective where BWS stuff meant more to people.

As far as people looking, I'm of the belief (totally unverified, mind you) that those ebay counters don't work a lot of the time...or they're set at weird intervals, where all of a sudden you'll get a surge of looks that just seems illogical. My experience, anyhow.

As for actually selling the book...I wouldn't bet on it. Even at $4, you're asking full guide for a common book. Books in 2.0 or less routinlely sell for about 80% of guide. Heck, books in 7.5 or less routinely seel for about 80% of guide.

I would also venture to suggest that listing this book ain't exactly the best way to get people to rifle through your store. Not a knock, just constructive criticism.

you'd be amazed at what low grade stuff sells for sometimes to the right people if you take a long-term approach, not that I claim expertise on this, just my observation. not everyone is looking for high grade stuff, nor do they have the money to buy it. i happen to have a lot of reader copies in my store (as well as some higher grade stuff), so someone looking for a $3-$5 copy of an expensive-in-high-grade book may look. or at least that was my hope.

for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32731&item=6521930072

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32747&item=6553201081

I've taken the images down for some other examples, so they won't be so instructive.

Anyway, Mr. F. Donut knows what I'm talking about! Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't be touting the virtues of selling beat readers....

as I've stated, the point wasn't about it getting a bid, it was about it not even being looked at until i put up my pathetic post and people here looked! the title doesn't give the grade, so people would still need to click on it to say "yuck". more an observation on the state of the market, or lack thereof I suppose if the title doesn't have "CGC" in it. anyway, you might be right about the counters, although now the item is up over 50. i had a similar reader copy up a few weeks back -- hulk 182 -- and it only got like 20 looks during its unsuccessful auction. More than 20 people must be interested in that book! (Anyway, it wound up selling, for roughly around guide, in my store a little later)