• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Managed Payment System
2 2

281 posts in this topic

I got the email of doom yesterday.  Figure I'll change over 7/1, so if there are any speed bumps I have a couple of weeks to sort them out. 

I have heard plenty of anecdotal evidence from people who have switched - kind of singing the same tune - hated to switch, found it wasn't terrible, now business as usual.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Well I got my email today. I have to switch over by July. Anyone done it yet? Any issues? I cant imagine
ebay wont take that 3% from Paypal so I dont see myself saving money.

Could you post the email?

57 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I got the email of doom yesterday.  Figure I'll change over 7/1, so if there are any speed bumps I have a couple of weeks to sort them out. 

I have heard plenty of anecdotal evidence from people who have switched - kind of singing the same tune - hated to switch, found it wasn't terrible, now business as usual.

It will probably be fine, I agree. No email yet so I will hold out long as possible. Take a month or 2 off after the deadline, maybe people who refuse to sell without paypal will get to keep using PayPal or get some incentives to come back and use managed payments. 

I like their page for it though. All the great things about it. All the same as paypal pretty much. Just be honest, we want PayPals $.

I did it to start in July or whenever. Apparently the only thing people on the beta site REALLY complain about is you don't have immediate access to your money. They pay out and then it has to go through blah blah blah.

42 minutes ago, Poe said:

Could you post the email?

I copied the text from the email:

Managed payments is the new way to sell and get paid on eBay, providing sellers one place to sell and get paid, and buyers more ways to pay. eBay will manage payments for most sellers in 2020, and your account, magiclamp1, will be activated for managed payments starting late July. To ensure you are ready in advance of the change and that there are no interruptions to your business, you will need to register by July 15, 2020.

Please click here to register for managed payments by July 15, 2020.

Here’s what you need to know about managed payments:

More ways for buyers to pay: Buyers can pay with credit, debit and gift cards, PayPal, PayPal Credit, Apple Pay or Google Pay.
One place to sell and get paid: You can access everything you need to sell and get paid, all on eBay, including a single source for fees, customized reports, refunds, simplified protections, tax documentation, and dedicated support.
Streamlined operations:
Easily ship to international buyers with our Global Shipping Program (GSP).
Integrations with top bookkeeping solutions such as GoDaddy, Xero, Quickbooks, and other platforms.
Payouts consistently available within two business days of an order confirmation, and deposited to your bank account weekly or daily as soon as funds are available.
Simplified fees:
Once activated for managed payments starting late July, you will pay only one final value fee1, consisting of a category-based percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a $0.30 fixed fee per order, with no third-party payments processing fees (such as to PayPal).
Your final value fees will be automatically deducted from your sales proceeds, and the rest paid out to your bank account.
Most sellers can expect to see overall savings2. For full fee details, click here.
Registration is easy. You can register in a few simple steps, including verifying your business information and providing a bank account.

You are required to register for managed payments by July 15, 2020.
To ensure that your sales continue uninterrupted, and no restrictions are applied to your account, please be sure to register before your account is activated starting late July. Nothing will change on your account or how you manage your business on eBay until your account is activated for managed payments starting late July 2020. We will ensure you have access to all the detailed information you may need to be prepared before activation and you will be notified of your activation date well in advance.

For more information and frequently asked questions and answers on managed payments, please visit the eBay Seller Center. We’ll keep adding information, so remember to bookmark this page. You can find details about the registration process in the Help Hub here. If you still have questions, you can request a call from one of our Payments team members there.

1Other fees, such as listing fees, international fee, and optional upgrades, may apply.

2Savings based on annual total sales volumes, and comparisons of (a) prior eBay final value fees plus typical 3rd party payment provider fees, with (b) new eBay final value fees (with no 3rd party processing fees).

As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes & enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

eBay will not request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers) in an email.

Copyright © 2020 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.
eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

7 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

I copied the text from the email:

Managed payments is the new way to sell and get paid on eBay, providing sellers one place to sell and get paid, and buyers more ways to pay. eBay will manage payments for most sellers in 2020, and your account, magiclamp1, will be activated for managed payments starting late July. To ensure you are ready in advance of the change and that there are no interruptions to your business, you will need to register by July 15, 2020.

Here’s what you need to know about managed payments:

More ways for buyers to pay: Buyers can pay with credit, debit and gift cards, PayPal, PayPal Credit, Apple Pay or Google Pay.
One place to sell and get paid: You can access everything you need to sell and get paid, all on eBay, including a single source for fees, customized reports, refunds, simplified protections, tax documentation, and dedicated support.
Streamlined operations:
Easily ship to international buyers with our Global Shipping Program (GSP).
Integrations with top bookkeeping solutions such as GoDaddy, Xero, Quickbooks, and other platforms.
Payouts consistently available within two business days of an order confirmation, and deposited to your bank account weekly or daily as soon as funds are available.
Simplified fees:
Once activated for managed payments starting late July, you will pay only one final value fee1, consisting of a category-based percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a $0.30 fixed fee per order, with no third-party payments processing fees (such as to PayPal).
Your final value fees will be automatically deducted from your sales proceeds, and the rest paid out to your bank account.
Most sellers can expect to see overall savings2. For full fee details, click here.
Registration is easy. You can register in a few simple steps, including verifying your business information and providing a bank account.

You are required to register for managed payments by July 15, 2020.
To ensure that your sales continue uninterrupted, and no restrictions are applied to your account, please be sure to register before your account is activated starting late July. Nothing will change on your account or how you manage your business on eBay until your account is activated for managed payments starting late July 2020. We will ensure you have access to all the detailed information you may need to be prepared before activation and you will be notified of your activation date well in advance.

For more information and frequently asked questions and answers on managed payments, please visit the eBay Seller Center. We’ll keep adding information, so remember to bookmark this page. You can find details about the registration process in the Help Hub here. If you still have questions, you can request a call from one of our Payments team members there.

1Other fees, such as listing fees, international fee, and optional upgrades, may apply.

2Savings based on annual total sales volumes, and comparisons of (a) prior eBay final value fees plus typical 3rd party payment provider fees, with (b) new eBay final value fees (with no 3rd party processing fees).

As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about site changes & enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

eBay will not request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers) in an email.

Copyright © 2020 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.
eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

Thanks.  Appreciate it.

The biggest problem I have with this new system is eBay is charging fees based on the total amount the buyer pays. That includes the price for the item itself, shipping (no changes there) and TAX. That last part sticks in my craw. That along with the 2-day delay in payments are the biggest negatives of this whole thing. I'm holding out until I absolutely can't any longer.

Yeah, it's a no-win situation.  Actually, we have already been paying a fee on sales tax collected.  PayPal charges us on it with each transaction, but at admittedly the 3% PP charges will be better than whatever eBay charges. 

Very glad someone besides me is handling the sales tax thing in general.  What a nightmare that would be.  If I have to throw a few dollars at it to make it go away, you won't have to twist my arm.

EBay is being cautious about its approach to this new fee structure, mentioning it's supposed to be less than we pay now.  I think they are going to lump all the funds into 1 amount, and charge a slightly smaller fee than they currently do.  Very slightly less.  And that's kind of ok. 

EBay hasn't raised fees for quite a while, which is not like them.  They certainly have had plenty of opportunities, if they even needed an excuse.  I'd rather pay eBay's 9-14% (depending on category, if you have a store, etc.) than Amazon's 15-25%. 

I think eBay sees that they have room to go up, since Amazon charges so much and people don't seem to care.  Maybe Amazon delivers more value, and can move mass market merch faster.  I know I have zero luck with Amazon.

If you have a store the rates are actually a tad lower than combined current ebay FVF & PP fees combined.  I read it that the transfers can be daily or weekly, and if they are anything like any other transfers to a checking account(Paypal, Amazon, Shopify, etc) then I would expect the same turnaround which is typically next day.

I don't have experience with it yet, but I have heard that once you get rolling along, the transfers are daily, with the occasional exceptions of 2 day, and the rare exception of a few days.  If you read the email above, eBay is stating " Payouts consistently available within two business days of an order confirmation, and deposited to your bank account weekly or daily as soon as funds are available."  I see 2 days, weekly, and daily in the same sentence.  That sure pinned it down.

Edited by Lightning55

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Well I got my email today. I have to switch over by July. Anyone done it yet? Any issues? I cant imagine
ebay wont take that 3% from Paypal so I dont see myself saving money.

got the same email and i am dreading it

would prefer to keep paypal

The buyers can pay with PayPal and the money goes into your general ebay account until it's moved to your bank. It allows people more options to pay like on Amazon. I guess you can take that money from the bank and load it back on your paypal card so you can spend it that way? Right?

3 minutes ago, nochips said:

The buyers can pay with PayPal and the money goes into your general ebay account until it's moved to your bank. It allows people more options to pay like on Amazon. I guess you can take that money from the bank and load it back on your paypal card so you can spend it that way? Right?

yes 

do i understand it correctly that ebay fees for the sale will automatically be taken at the time of the sale?