• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Managed Payment System
2 2

281 posts in this topic

How are they preventing this?

Simplified fees:

Once activated for managed payments starting late July, you will pay only one final value fee1, consisting of a category-based percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a $0.30 fixed fee per order, with no third-party payments processing fees (such as to PayPal).

How can a seller not lose out on the Paypal fees too if they pay eBay for your item sold via Paypal?  Does eBay refuse to lose out on the fees from Paypal?  In other words, if we get the $ into our eBay account - and it came from a buyer's Paypal - how do we not lose out both ways?  

If anyone can explain that it would be appreciated as I must have missed that or fail to understand how ebay stops Paypal from taking those fees out on our end...

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

yes 

do i understand it correctly that ebay fees for the sale will automatically be taken at the time of the sale?

Pretty sure that's how it works.  They already have the money at the time of sale, so why give it to you so that you can give it back later?  Not sure it makes much difference.  They get paid eventually either way. 

Technically, we have been holding eBay's fees from THEM all along, since we are billed in arrears.  Just won't be in arrears any longer, just in the rear.

51 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

How are they preventing this?

Simplified fees:

Once activated for managed payments starting late July, you will pay only one final value fee1, consisting of a category-based percentage of the total amount of the sale, plus a $0.30 fixed fee per order, with no third-party payments processing fees (such as to PayPal).

How can a seller not lose out on the Paypal fees too if they pay eBay for your item sold via Paypal?  Does eBay refuse to lose out on the fees from Paypal?  In other words, if we get the $ into our eBay account - and it came from a buyer's Paypal - how do we not lose out both ways?  

If anyone can explain that it would be appreciated as I must have missed that or fail to understand how ebay stops Paypal from taking those fees out on our end...

If a buyer uses PayPal, they are paying EBAY, not you.  It goes into EBAY's PayPal account.  Then the money is shuffled into your account, without any PP fee. 

Will eBay be paying PP a fee?  Maybe.  But eBay is charging you, so it might be a wash for them.

13 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I did it to start in July or whenever. Apparently the only thing people on the beta site REALLY complain about is you don't have immediate access to your money. They pay out and then it has to go through blah blah blah.

There still seems to be some confusion about whether or not managed payments will be in support of the global shipping program.  On one part of their site it said, “no” but now some are saying it is.  

I offered something up here and on Facebook for $90 with no takers.  I’m taking my afternoon walk right now to the post office after it sold for $120 and it happens to be using the GSP.  I’m liking that program.

if it is true though that gsp will not be supported then I am ending international sales again. 

31 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

There still seems to be some confusion about whether or not managed payments will be in support of the global shipping program.  On one part of their site it said, “no” but now some are saying it is.  

I offered something up here and on Facebook for $90 with no takers.  I’m taking my afternoon walk right now to the post office after it sold for $120 and it happens to be using the GSP.  I’m liking that program.

if it is true though that gsp will not be supported then I am ending international sales again. 

I don't understand why you use the Global Shipping Program at all. What difference is it to you versus shipping Priority Mail International? It requires the exact same number of steps. Explain it to me in very small words.

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

I don't understand why you use the Global Shipping Program at all. What difference is it to you versus shipping Priority Mail International? It requires the exact same number of steps. Explain it to me in very small words.

Global shipping program is fully backed without much hassle 

priority mail international contains hassle

2 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

This is what I don't understand - seriously, i'm not being difficult, i dont get it - what is difficult?

3 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

This 100%. Tracking and delivery reliability once the package moves out of the U.S. is a crapshoot. With the GSP the seller's only responsibility is getting the package to the eBay shipping center in KY. If anything happens to the package after that eBay is on the hook.

Edited by MadGenius

1 minute ago, FlyingDonut said:

This is what I don't understand - seriously, i'm not being difficult, i dont get it - what is difficult?

Mostly the forms that are required to ship internationally. 

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

yes 

do i understand it correctly that ebay fees for the sale will automatically be taken at the time of the sale?

I prefer eBay deducts money right away after the item is sold rather than invoicing next month.   Esty gets the fund first then deducts the seller fee and tax after it is paid before releasing remaining fund to the seller. The seller will transfer the fund from PayPal or other financial institutions to the bank account. I never saw the incoming invoices from Esty. It's convenience.

eBay suspends sellers for non-payments after three invoices or more.

19 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I prefer eBay deducts money right away after the item is sold rather than invoicing next month.   Esty gets the fund first then deducts the seller fee and tax after it is paid before releasing remaining fund to the seller. The seller will transfer the fund from PayPal or other financial institutions to the bank account. I never saw the incoming invoices from Esty. It's convenience.

eBay suspends sellers for non-payments after three invoices or more.

From what I have heard from people in the program, there's no more eBay invoices - it is very similar to the way Paypal works now. The fees are taken at the time of the payment.

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

• Too many instances of international buyers gaming the system. 
  • GSP offers an extra layer of protection, yes, at the buyer's expense where eBay seems to be more proactive in fighting for the seller since eBay's money is on the line. 
  • Reduces my overall costs since I am only paying a percentage on shipping fees from NY to Kentucky instead of paying the percentage on the overall cost of priority international. 

1 - Especially with the current state of international mail, I had two international buyer's state that there were problems last month.  One buyer from Beijing, China said that they did not receive the item.  Tracking showed that it never left Chicago for some reason after GSP shipped it from Kentucky to Chicago. Turns out that China denied receipt of the item.  (According to eBay)  GSP dealt with it as it was in their hands last.  I kept the payment with no penalty.  Buyer supposedly made whole as well. 

2 - Canadian buyer had their item held up in customs.  He grew impatient and filed a claim.  I get why.  So I did not discuss this in the eBay my eBay thread.   eBay denied the claim or did whatever they did.  All I know is, I was made whole and the buyer eventually received the books and left me positive feedback. 

In the old days with situation two, eBay immediately would immediately grant a refund.

Do buyers here complain about it?  I am sure some do.  Some understand though that if they want that item and it is one of a kind then that's the cost of getting it. If they can get it through some other means then so be it.  If they want to get that item and no one else has it except for me, then they pay the fees associated with GSP or they don't get it.  It is up to them to make that decision because the item will eventually sell to someone regardless.   Some believe that it is worth it. Some do not.  That's for them to decide though. 

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

If a gsp package is lost after you send it out, you are covered.no question

if a priority international package is lost you could be covered if it’s insured and of course you have to file the insurance claim through usps, which can be problematic at times to get it passed 

20 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I haven't received an email yet. But I don't sell on ebay anymore anyway. I recommend everyone I can not to sell there unless you want to take the risk of having someone steal from you or do a switch item scam.

Thats ridiculous.  Been selling for almost 20 years never had anything like that happen ever.

19 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

It will probably be fine, I agree. No email yet so I will hold out long as possible. Take a month or 2 off after the deadline, maybe people who refuse to sell without paypal will get to keep using PayPal or get some incentives to come back and use managed payments. 

I like their page for it though. All the great things about it. All the same as paypal pretty much. Just be honest, we want PayPals $.

Yes I expect a sales drop because of this.

9 hours ago, MadGenius said:

The biggest problem I have with this new system is eBay is charging fees based on the total amount the buyer pays. That includes the price for the item itself, shipping (no changes there) and TAX. That last part sticks in my craw. That along with the 2-day delay in payments are the biggest negatives of this whole thing. I'm holding out until I absolutely can't any longer.

I agree tax is BS.

9 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Yeah, it's a no-win situation.  Actually, we have already been paying a fee on sales tax collected.  PayPal charges us on it with each transaction, but at admittedly the 3% PP charges will be better than whatever eBay charges. 

Very glad someone besides me is handling the sales tax thing in general.  What a nightmare that would be.  If I have to throw a few dollars at it to make it go away, you won't have to twist my arm.

EBay is being cautious about its approach to this new fee structure, mentioning it's supposed to be less than we pay now.  I think they are going to lump all the funds into 1 amount, and charge a slightly smaller fee than they currently do.  Very slightly less.  And that's kind of ok. 

EBay hasn't raised fees for quite a while, which is not like them.  They certainly have had plenty of opportunities, if they even needed an excuse.  I'd rather pay eBay's 9-14% (depending on category, if you have a store, etc.) than Amazon's 15-25%. 

I think eBay sees that they have room to go up, since Amazon charges so much and people don't seem to care.  Maybe Amazon delivers more value, and can move mass market merch faster.  I know I have zero luck with Amazon.

Agreed its going to force me to IG and other places faster then I want too.

As a buyer for comics Amazon absolutely sucks. Maybe 1 out of 5 packs my comics well so I dont buy there 
unless I am desperate. 

I want to see the fee structure. If it rises I am gone I will make less sales elsewhere and keep 10%. Trust me
I hate to say what, but this is pure greed on ebay's part and a large gamble I think.

5 hours ago, Lightning55 said:
7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

yes 

Pretty sure that's how it works.  They already have the money at the time of sale, so why give it to you so that you can give it back later?  Not sure it makes much difference.  They get paid eventually either way. 

Technically, we have been holding eBay's fees from THEM all along, since we are billed in arrears.  Just won't be in arrears any longer, just in the rear.

It also allows them to accrue interest over the month instead of at the end which is a big deal.