• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Managed Payment System
2 2

281 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Lightning55 said:
4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

It also allows them to accrue interest over the month instead of at the end which is a big deal.

Then I guess it has been a "big deal" in YOUR favor all these years, when eBay got paid well AFTER its services were provided.  YOU were accruing the interest, not having to pay when services were rendered.  That seemed ok to you. 

Now they are getting paid AS they provide a service, still not AHEAD of providing it.  That's appropriate.  Where is this interest they are now accruing?  Or are they still ripping you off with a pay-as-you-go format?

I am not sure what your issue is there? I just said they are doing it to accrue interest over time which is a big deal for them on the plus side. Any company wants to hold your money as long as 
possible to make money on it. Did I not make this clear enough for you?

I could care less about it in my favor. I get a bill I pay it each month from paypal end of story.

46 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:
4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

You left out the buyer gets hosed with fees/customs on his end. 

Gsp all the way. If the buyer wants to save $ and expects me to trust his counties customs and postal service and that the buyer isn't a scammer, they can trust me and pay friends and family.

Again just show me some data that sales increase and i will do it. Right Now my international sales are down, but all I hear is complaints from international 
buyers about the GSP. 

Except the Friends and Family. Thats all types of problems. No buyer protection at all and looks shady from the buyer's viewpoint.

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

I am not sure what your issue is there? I just said they are doing it to accrue interest over time which is a big deal for them on the plus side. Any company wants to hold your money as long as 

I could care less about it in my favor. I get a bill I pay it each month from paypal end of story.

What is clear to me is that you have no comprehension.  They provide a service, get paid immediately, like you would like to.  No interest accruing.  It's THEIR money at that point, for services rendered, not our money they are holding.  You are blaming them for bleeding you, when in fact YOU were bleeding them earlier.  You''re just blind to the facts.  It's change, and you don't like it, can't even understand it.

Like if you pay your electric bill, are THEY accruing interest?  NO!  You just paid them for the power.  Take a year or two and figure it out.

5 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:
12 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

What is clear to me is that you have no comprehension.  They provide a service, get paid immediately, like you would like to.  No interest accruing.  It's THEIR money at that point, for services rendered, not our money they are holding.  You are blaming them for bleeding you, when in fact YOU were bleeding them earlier.  You''re just blind to the facts.  It's change, and you don't like it, can't even understand it.

Like if you pay your electric bill, are THEY accruing interest?  NO!  You just paid them for the power.  Take a year or two and figure it out.

Baloney

I gave a simple reason to why they were doing it. I didn't say they were evil for it or blame them I just said its a big deal for them to accrue interest.

The fact that you read more into that isn't my problem its yours. Go back and read it again.  

Lets keep this civil. Your insults are not needed. 

Edited by fastballspecial

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

Baloney

I gave a simple reason to why they were doing it. I didn't say they were evil for it or blame them I just said its a big deal for them to accrue interest.

The fact that you read more into that isn't my problem its yours. Go back and read it again.  

Lets keep this civil. Your insults are not needed. 

I see where you are coming from.  We are arguing about 2 different things.  My apologies.

55 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Again just show me some data that sales increase and i will do it. Right Now my international sales are down, but all I hear is complaints from international 
buyers about the GSP. 

Except the Friends and Family. Thats all types of problems. No buyer protection at all and looks shady from the buyer's viewpoint.

I am not disagreeing with you. Someone who ships international without using global shipping would see a decrease in sales by switching to gsp. 

I am just saying I don't care about the international buyers view point. They can use gsp or pay me cash or not buy from me. An American will buy the item instead. It's not like they are the only interested buyer or paying more money. They want they item so they will either pay cash or pay the gsp. 

12 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

I hear ya, but it's nothing new for eBay.  It's all corporate babble now, spinning it as only eBay can.  It's all about grabbing the 1% that PayPal was netting on a sale.  PP charges 3%, but they don't get to keep it.  They have to give the credit card company that was used most of it.  They are just a pass-through, as eBay is now with their processing fee.  But I'm sure it is a lot of money with the scale of it all.  When they were "related" companies, it didn't matter.  Now it does.

This is only the beginning.  There is still a wide gap between what eBay charges and what Amazon charges.  That should tighten over time.  Why should eBay get less, they will figure. 

Online sales is not the new frontier it once was.  Things have changed, the pie slices are smaller and have multiplied.  Everyone's waiting impatiently for the "next, new big thing".

Well that was my point. I’m quite happy with what amazon charges me, I get to move inventory there that I mostly can’t move anywhere else (including eBay) 

Do I wish Amazon would charge me less? Sure I won’t say no to pay less. But it’s their platform and their rules. 
there are many things in life that I wish I paid less for (cough cough NY property tax cough) but as long as it works for me I will gladly pay for it

Thing is, eBay is not being transparent with their charges which is disturbing. Especially since they sign you to a contractual agreement which they fail to disclose its full charges. Not cool

On 5/8/2020 at 6:22 PM, fastballspecial said:

Thats ridiculous.  Been selling for almost 20 years never had anything like that happen ever.

You've just been lucky then. Search ebay scams and you'll find far more on the sellers these days. Buyers know they can basically get an item for free or discounted by just saying not as described. You can return empty boxes, garbage, or whatever to get the weight correct. The higher the price the more risk sellers take. Also, items like jewelry, watches, electronics, computers, and other show off items are ripe for scams.

14 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

You've just been lucky then. Search ebay scams and you'll find far more on the sellers these days. Buyers know they can basically get an item for free or discounted by just saying not as described. You can return empty boxes, garbage, or whatever to get the weight correct. The higher the price the more risk sellers take. Also, items like jewelry, watches, electronics, computers, and other show off items are ripe for scams.

Exactly why I sell lower dollar items. I found in the past though when I problem arises as long as you file a police report and keep up to date
it helps your case quite a bit.

I saw quick notices from eBay come up regarding Managed Payments, but the latest one has a deadline: July 15th.

It seems like there are still questions, overall, as to what changes and what stays the same, in terms of fees (final and listing), payout timing, etc.

One item that is pretty clear is the "removal" of PayPal for sellers. It may be a small part for some, but I use my PayPal account as my "comics" account; whenever I sell a comic, money goes there; whenever I buy a comic, that's where the funds come from. Now, it appears, everything has to go through my bank account; I can still pay with PayPal, but first have to transfer funds from sales into it. Is this correct or am I misinterpreting?

3 hours ago, manetteska said:

I can still pay with PayPal, but first have to transfer funds from sales into it. Is this correct or am I misinterpreting?

Sounds correct, as things stand now.  It will take longer. 

A suggestion would be to have a checking account on Managed Payments that is at the same bank you have a credit card.  Money moves from the eBay sales to your checking account (1-3 days), transfer it to your credit card (1 day), buy comics with PayPal using that credit card as the funding source.  To move money from the checking account to your PayPal account can take up to 5 business days on top of the 1-3 days to get to your checking account.  If it's a credit card that you get some cash back or other bonus, that is a side benefit.  Another benefit is that your purchase is protected by the credit card company, not just PayPal.

6 hours ago, manetteska said:

I saw quick notices from eBay come up regarding Managed Payments, but the latest one has a deadline: July 15th.

It seems like there are still questions, overall, as to what changes and what stays the same, in terms of fees (final and listing), payout timing, etc.

One item that is pretty clear is the "removal" of PayPal for sellers. It may be a small part for some, but I use my PayPal account as my "comics" account; whenever I sell a comic, money goes there; whenever I buy a comic, that's where the funds come from. Now, it appears, everything has to go through my bank account; I can still pay with PayPal, but first have to transfer funds from sales into it. Is this correct or am I misinterpreting?

This roughly sounds correct to me.  From a buyer's perspective, it seems like not much is changing (it's the selling end that will have changes).  I know some sellers are already using this system, as sometimes when I checkout through eBay for multiple orders from different sellers, it makes me do the managed payment system payments separate than the straight "old PayPal" payments.  But I can still use PayPal just the same (as a buyer). 

For sellers, we are going to get short changed a bit on the fees in some aspects.  I think the % rate that eBay takes is going to be slightly smaller than what % PayPal usually takes, but eBay snuck certain fees in there that PayPal didn't ever charge (such as a 10 or 15 (?) cent fee per item, in addition to a percentage of the payment processed) -- so even if you're paying say 2.9% on the transaction, instead of 3.1% (or whatever the exact numbers are), on a multi-item order, it's going to end up being more expensive for the seller than the old way.  Not much you can really do about it, but I've been putting off signing up until as close to July 15 as possible, because I prefer the old system, where I can transfer money out of PayPal and have it in my bank account in a few hours, in most cases.  I'm sure the eBay system is going to be slower than that.

40 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

So as a seller, if say you choose not to register with this new ebay managed payment program, can you still use sell on ebay?  I am waiting too until close to the deadline.

If you don't change over to MP, they will shut your selling account down.  I haven't heard how fast that happens, but I don't think they will take a long time to throw that switch.  Probably haven't heard because no one wanted to take the chance and go past their deadline (those who were forced on earlier). 

They won't stop you from buying stuff, just selling stuff.

17 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

If you don't change over to MP, they will shut your selling account down.  I haven't heard how fast that happens, but I don't think they will take a long time to throw that switch.  Probably haven't heard because no one wanted to take the chance and go past their deadline (those who were forced on earlier). 

This seems to be correct.  To be fair, they have given us ample warning.  But it will be interesting to see if they actually start banning people from selling after this deadline comes.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:00 PM, Lightning55 said:

You when you saw that sign that said, "Do not push the button" there was always that kid that would push the button to see what would happen? 

Hi !

My deadline was July 15th.  I am still selling.  When I tried to directly list something for sale I was denied.

So, just to see if I could, I went to sell a similar item... there was a similar issue as I was prompted to switch over. 

The day before, I sold something on Facebook that I had listed on eBay.  I ended the listing on eBay... So I went to relist that listing and swapped out the information and pictures... It went right through.  Then I sold similar listings... and worked from there.  

I want to see what happens. 

Once they completely stop me from selling I will switch over.  They should have made it go into effect on January 1st or something. 

So I am registered for managed payments... 

It says the shift was successful... 

They said they would email me when my managed payments would go live...

I get the notification that managed payments is live...

I got a sale !

Where is the money ?

PayPal... 

So... maybe it was not as successful as eBay thinks it was.

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/17/2020 at 10:31 AM, Buzzetta said:

So I am registered for managed payments... 

It says the shift was successful... 

They said they would email me when my managed payments would go live...

I get the notification that managed payments is live...

I got a sale !

Where is the money ?

PayPal... 

So... maybe it was not as successful as eBay thinks it was.

I am finding it very annoying. When I make an Ebay sale, the buyer pays immediately via Paypal. Ebay shows the item as paid but the funds are on temporary hold for 2-4 days. Then I get an email saying the funds have been released directly to my bank account which takes another 2 business days.  So I am waiting like 5 business days to actually get the money.  In some cases, I have shipped and the seller has his book in hand and I haven't gotten paid yet,   Frustrating.  I also miss having the money got to my paypal account that I could immediately use for buying stuff without have to use my bank.  I know I could transfer it to paypal but that's more time and an extra step.  Boo.   I wish there were a viable alternative. 

Just now, cd4ever said:

I am finding it very annoying. When I make an Ebay sale, the buyer pays immediately via Paypal. Ebay shows the item as paid but the funds are on temporary hold for 2-4 days. Then I get an email saying the funds have been released directly to my bank account which takes another 2 business days.  So I am waiting like 5 business days to actually get the money.  In some cases, I have shipped and the seller has his book in hand and I haven't gotten paid yet,   Frustrating.  I also miss having the money got to my paypal account that I could immediately use for buying stuff without have to use my bank.  I know I could transfer it to paypal but that's more time and an extra step.  Boo.   I wish there were a viable alternative. 

Here is the thing though... 

I want to make sure I am not getting double dipped for all related fee.  The money should not be going to PayPal account... it should be held by eBay managed payments.