• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Awesome, Amazing All Star Comics Complete Run-They deserve their own thread!
5 5

225 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, circumstances said:

Great story! I love the way that all worked out!

By coincidence, the only one of my key books I ever bought for cash was my All Star #3.

And the owner was nice enough to allow me to pay it over time, $100 a week for 55 weeks.

That was a long year!

That must have been a long year and a long time ago!!(thumbsu

59 minutes ago, circumstances said:

It was the 80s!

100 bucks a week was all I could afford.

$5,500 for a comic was quite a big deal for me back then, even a high grade All Star #3!

It sure was a lot of money!!!

Value of 1980 US Dollars today. The inflation rate in the United States between 1980 and today has been 235.06%, which translates into a total increase of $235.06. This means that 100 dollars in 1980 are equivalent to 335.06 dollars in 2020. In other words, the purchasing power of $100 in 1980 equals $335.06 today.

4 minutes ago, Ghastly542454 said:

It sure was a lot of money!!!

Value of 1980 US Dollars today. The inflation rate in the United States between 1980 and today has been 235.06%, which translates into a total increase of $235.06. This means that 100 dollars in 1980 are equivalent to 335.06 dollars in 2020. In other words, the purchasing power of $100 in 1980 equals $335.06 today.

This would have been closer to 1990.

What do the figures look like for 1989?

7 minutes ago, circumstances said:

This would have been closer to 1990.

What do the figures look like for 1989?

$100 in 1989 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $208.16 in 2020, a difference of $108.16 over 31 years. The 1989 inflation ratewas 4.82%. The current inflation rate(2019 to 2020) is now 1.54% 1.

31 minutes ago, Ghastly542454 said:

$100 in 1989 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $208.16 in 2020, a difference of $108.16 over 31 years. The 1989 inflation ratewas 4.82%. The current inflation rate(2019 to 2020) is now 1.54% 1.

So it cost me $11,448.80 in 2020 dollars!!! :o :o 

2 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #10-The story in this issue where a trio of JSAers capture “fifth columnists “who attack a group of scientists working on making the United States impervious to enemy bombers is not very memorable.The JSA travel into the future with a time ray. When they return, they present a formula for the defense system. The scientists use it to develop a “beam of force” which bombs 💣 can’t dent.

This is one of my favorite All Star Comics covers and it would be the last one drawn by Everett Hibbard for the title. I got this one in 2017 from Steve Zuvich of New York from a listing on eBay. I think I paid a grand for it. It arrived in one of the first generation CGC holders (which I hate) and was quickly sent in for a new holder.

DD7CE105-A79F-4F27-92C9-E662427C7D95.jpeg

This is an awesome cover; interesting in its reliance on Hawkman to carry the design and how three of the heros reside in shadow. I wonder if the four bugs carrying Superman, Batman, Flash and Green Lantern were an add to generate sales. Do they appear in tehe story?

6 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

This is an awesome cover; interesting in its reliance on Hawkman to carry the design and how three of the heros reside in shadow. I wonder if the four bugs carrying Superman, Batman, Flash and Green Lantern were an add to generate sales. Do they appear in tehe story?

Green Lantern and Flash do but not Batman or Superman.

28 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Also is that the first appearance of Sandman in his new costume in All Star?

Yes it is. According to Roy Thomas, that costume was designed by Paul Norris and not by Simon and Kirby as is often credited.

5 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

All Star Comics #10-The story in this issue where a trio of JSAers capture “fifth columnists “who attack a group of scientists working on making the United States impervious to enemy bombers is not very memorable.The JSA travel into the future with a time ray. When they return, they present a formula for the defense system. The scientists use it to develop a “beam of force” which bombs 💣 can’t dent.

This is one of my favorite All Star Comics covers and it would be the last one drawn by Everett Hibbard for the title. I got this one in 2017 from Steve Zuvich of New York from a listing on eBay. I think I paid a grand for it. It arrived in one of the first generation CGC holders (which I hate) and was quickly sent in for a new holder.

DD7CE105-A79F-4F27-92C9-E662427C7D95.jpeg

I love this cover too!

1 hour ago, Ghastly542454 said:

14B95DC5-5487-447A-A16B-198DF2ABF7A2.jpeg

That one always seemed to deserve 'classic cover' status in my opinion. 

I used to enjoy the JLA/JSA team ups as a kid. Still remember being 'shocked' to learn the JSA actually did come first, and it wasn't just a plot device, from an older cousin who had been into comics.

Always made it harder to understand after why they were Earth 2 instead of 1 :D