• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paramount's STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS starring Anson Mount (2022)
1 1

122 posts in this topic

Get ready for more Star Trek. While we patiently wait for Star Trek: Discovery season 3 – which has reportedly been delayed due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic – CBS has gone ahead and announced a brand new Star Trek series. 

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds will soon be coming to our screens and will centre on the years when Captain Christopher Pike is in command of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Anson Mount returns to play Pike, having done so during Star Trek: Discovery season 2, as does Rebecca Romijn as Number One, and Ethan Peck as Spock. The series will take place a decade before Captain Kirk boarded the Enterprise. 

All three actors were on board to announce the series in a new video. "We're going to get to work on a classic Star Trek show that deals with optimism and the future," said Mount. 

Edited by Bosco685

I liked the three of them on Discovery and am looking forward to this to that extent, but I'm a little worried that CBS may be over-saturating the market on ST shows now (Picard, Discovery, Lower Decks, and now Strange New Worlds)...and also, I'm past tired of prequel shows. They can't break the boundaries too much, because their big-picture future has already been established...I was so glad when Discovery changed its setting for Season 3. Even given how little of Pike's tenure has been set as canon, there's only so far they can go with new technologies and new aliens and new conflicts. They can introduce some new aliens, or the first contact with later-established aliens, but still, things can't go too far from what the situation was like at the start of TOS, especially if this is set less than a decade before then. I want to know where things went after Voyager got home, what new technologies may exist at the dawn of the 25th century...settings where they can do anything to expand the universe, basically.

Oh well.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:26 PM, Cocomonkey said:

I liked the three of them on Discovery and am looking forward to this to that extent, but I'm a little worried that CBS may be over-saturating the market on ST shows now (Picard, Discovery, Lower Decks, and now Strange New Worlds)...and also, I'm past tired of prequel shows. They can't break the boundaries too much, because their big-picture future has already been established...I was so glad when Discovery changed its setting for Season 3. Even given how little of Pike's tenure has been set as canon, there's only so far they can go with new technologies and new aliens and new conflicts. They can introduce some new aliens, or the first contact with later-established aliens, but still, things can't go too far from what the situation was like at the start of TOS, especially if this is set less than a decade before then. I want to know where things went after Voyager got home, what new technologies may exist at the dawn of the 25th century...settings where they can do anything to expand the universe, basically.

Oh well.

Lots of great points.

I really enjoyed Discovery so far and Picard as well. The present day TV format lends itself to the season long plot and we are getting some great TV because of it. On the other hand - having just re-watched a lot of older Star Trek series and episodes - one of Star Treks strengths has always been the stand alone episode. Episodes that for me are why I love this franchise and are great science fiction. As a fan of EC comics (Weird Science and Fantasy) and the Twilight Zone, Star Trek has always been a worthy successor. I hope they can throw in a few now and then.

A great Star Trek Season is like an anthology of short science fiction stories. 2c

On 5/15/2020 at 1:26 PM, Cocomonkey said:

Oh well.

Yeah, me too!

Just watched the whole series and there is a run in there - season 3-6 - where there are so many cool stand alone sci-fi stories. Great writing in that show!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Update Revealed at Comic-Con 2020

In May, CBS All Access announced Star Trek: Strange New Worlds as one of the new series in development as part of the Star Trek Universe. During Thursday's Star Trek Universe panel for Comic-Con@Home, executive producer Alex Kurtzman offered on update on the Star Trek: Discovery spinoff, which follows the crew of the USS Enterprise introduced in Discovery's second season. Kurtzman reveals he's been keeping the Captain Pike, Spock, and Number One-led show a secret since last year's Comic-Con, but now a writers' room is active, and they've already broken down the first 10 episodes of the show.

"I really wanted to tell everyone about it last Comic-Con," Kurtzman said while introducing the panel. "People were poking around and asking questions, and we couldn't say anything. But we were already having real active conversations at that point.

"The room has started. There are 10 stories broken, which is very exciting. They are just sort of at the beginning. But it was one of those shows that I think everybody came in with such enthusiasm and so much love."

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds stars Anson Mount, Ethan Peck, and Rebecca Romijn later appeared during the Star Trek: Discovery portion of the panel to talk about their characters' roles in Season Two of that series. They also discussed how their experience in that season affects their character's trajectory in Strange New Worlds.

"I think the biggest thing, obviously, was seeing my future, and when you see how it's all going to end and that it's not so pretty, what do you do with that?" said Mount, who plays Capt. Christopher Pike. "I think there's a reason that we can only see our past because we're a very neurotic species, and we wouldn't know how to comport ourselves. And so I think ultimately the question becomes, 'How do you move forward?' I think he's going to wrestle with how he can best utilize the rest of his life for the good of the world, the universe… He's not thinking about it as a team yet because he's wrestling with it himself, which I hope he's going to learn to let other people help him wrestle with it."

Peck discussed how Star Trek: Discovery put his Spock on the path to becoming the Spock of Star Trek: The Original Series. "Spock's interaction with Michael Burnham is essential to transforming Spock from somebody who's been born on Vulcan who's half-human that has been taught to be Vulcan, and I think Michael Burnham gives him the permission to be human and teaches him what it is to be human," Peck says. "And so that is essential to the development of Spock as we follow along between the conflict between his emotion and logic going forward into when we first see Leonard Nimoy in The Original Series. It's a huge character point for me and will dictate a lot of behavior for Spock, because of his interaction with Michael."

On 5/15/2020 at 12:26 PM, Cocomonkey said:

Oh well.

Yessir.  DS9 ends in 1999, Voyager two years later, and...nothing forward looking since.  WTH.  

I blame JJ Abrams.  It’s probably not totally his fault, but after “Into Darkness” and “Rise of Skywalker”, he deserves to be blamed for everything wrong with US TV and cinema.

Star Wars may have seemingly been the more mainstream space-related franchise, but Star Trek has been doing really well on the TV show front. With Star Trek: Discovery, Lower Decks, and the Picard show, people are hungry for this expansive world. CBS All Access will be bringing in a new Star Trek show – Strange New Worlds.

The Illuminerdi has casting news for Strange New Worlds, which will be a return to the episodic format that was common in the original Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation series. Captain Pike will be command of the Enterprise and production will begin in February.

• We’ll be seeing Anson Mount as Pike, Ethan Peck as Spock, and Rebecca Romijn as Number One. In addition, we have the casting calls as such:
  • Yeboah. Described as a Black woman, she’s in her early 20s and newly graduated from the academy. She’s a bright woman who excels in linguistics.
  • La’an. In her late 20s, early 30s, La’an is the head of Security. Very physical, she also suffers from PTSD and has an “air of vigilance and precision”. According to the Illuminerdi, they want to cast someone who is East Indian, Asian, or Middle Eastern.
  • Ortegas. Late 20s, Latinx, she’s an experienced vet. She has a dry wit and is very smart – she can be joking around one minute and shooting someone the next.
  • Biodun. Male, Black, in his 40s, and described as “from the original series”. Bones perhaps?
  • Miller. Biodun’s nurse. Late 20s, early 30s. Caucasian and described as “heroic, charming” and seemingly like Dr. Crusher.

interesting that a network so obsessed with what race and gender each character is going to be would build a show around two white dudes and a white lady. will the opening credits include an apology? i'm so frustrated with where the public discourse is about this these days. because it does not exist. perhaps someday character descriptions can just be about what they are like, instead of what race, gender or sexual preference they represent. 

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

interesting that a network so obsessed with what race and gender each character is going to be would build a show around two white dudes and a white lady. will the opening credits include an apology? i'm so frustrated with where the public discourse is about this these days. because it does not exist. perhaps someday character descriptions can just be about what they are like, instead of what race, gender or sexual preference they represent. 

The huge irony is that Discovery is exactly what you wish for!

The Bridge crew are male/female/straight/gay/black/white/asian - and not a mention of it in the writing.

Gay couples are just crew.

Black women are just crew.

Disfigured crew are just crew.

There hasn't been a single mention of 'struggle' or 'injustice' or 'discrimination' - they simply are gay / black/ white / female / disabled people who happen to crew a Starship.

It's just the norm, and works very well.

Problems start, as you say, when it gets forced on you.  I'm grateful Discovery doesn't do that.

I'm confident that Mount and Romjin will just be white people who happen to be Captain and XO. However - it is a strange way to describe new crew members - I suspect the emphasis was from the writers of the article NOT CBS (The Illuminerdi - whoever they are)

Despite some crew going into quarantine, production on Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is in full swing. Based on comments from one of the creators/showrunners, the Star Trek: Discovery spinoff will be a return to Star Trek's original episodic format, with some extra character development thrown into the mix. The series stars Anson Mount as Christopher Pike, the USS Enterprise's captain before James T. Kirk took command of the vessel. Mount spoke to Collider ahead of his new film, The Virtuoso. He discussed why Strange New Worlds would bring back the adventure-of-the-week format when it debuts.

"Well, I think that Star Trek is, by nature, episodic," Mount says. "Now, that doesn't mean that Star Trek can't be other things. Star Trek can be a lot of things, as we've seen in every iteration of it. But classic Trek is really founded on the big idea of the week, and the big idea of the week needs room to breathe. In serialized structure, you're trying to take care of so many relationships that there doesn't tend to be a lot of room for that. Now with that said, I think Discovery does a phenomenal job with that structure and I was very fortunate to be a part of it. Normally, serialized is my taste, as an actor, but this really felt like it needed to be episodic."