• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paramount's STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS starring Anson Mount (2022)
1 1

120 posts in this topic

Mount recently reflected on his experiences with two of the biggest entertainment properties during Paramount+'s TCA panel on Strange New Worlds. He described the slight similarities between the two, which mostly stems from Star Trek and Marvel being established fictional worlds with their own rhythms. From there, Mount delved into what it meant for him to step into the role of Captain Pike for the Star Trek universe. Mount said:

"Yeah, they are two sort of big pre-made fandoms and universes that you kind of have to find your footing in. I tend not to think about genre too much. Now there are definitely tricks of the trade in all of them but the rules for acting and scene work engagement, they always have to remain grounded in the same, the same truth. But I would say that the thing about coming into Star Trek… Well, they were both personal for me because, you know, I grew up a Marvel fan, I grew up a Star Trek fan. But there is something about Star Trek that it was so off the radar for me, It wasn't even on my bucket list because I didn't think I just never thought I would end up captaining the Enterprise, I mean, it's insane. I count my… every single day I'm on set, I'm not exaggerating, is both disbelief and a feeling of tremendous gratitude which is one of my little secret parallels to the character of Captain Pike. Who let's face it, if you're going to stare into the face of God, the universe, whatever you want to call it every single day, you have to have a healthy dose of humility and appreciation, and gratitude. And I think that those are the greatest qualities impacting Pike. So if I, if I can live up to him at all, it's through my appreciation of being a part of this universe."

There is a new James T. Kirk.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds has cast actor Paul Wesley in the iconic sci-fi role.

The Vampire Diaries actor will join the upcoming Paramount+ series in the show’s second season, which is in production in Toronto. In an unusual move, the second season casting is being announced before the first season has yet to debut.

Above is a first-look image of Wesley in character on what’s presumably the U.S.S. Enterprise bridge.

“Paul is an accomplished actor, an astonishing presence and a welcome key addition to the show,” said executive producer Alex Kurtzman and showrunners Akiva Goldsman and Henry Alonso Myers in a statement. “Like all of us, he is a life-long Star Trek fan and we are excited by his interpretation of this iconic role.”

Well, 58 years after “The Cage” was filmed, Christopher Pike finally gets to sit in the center seat for a show all his own. And it’s about time.

Created by Akiva Goldsman, Alex Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet, “Strange New Worlds” marks a shift from the franchise’s two most recent live action incarnations on Paramount+ — “Discovery” (heading into its fifth year) and “Star Trek: Picard” (setting course for its third) — both of which rely heavily on the modern appetite for serialization across a season-long canvas.

By contrast, a few continuing subplots notwithstanding, these are episodic, one-and-done stories. And man, does it feel nice. The five episodes of “Strange New Worlds” made available for review demonstrate the wide variety of story lines available within the format, while getting us comfortable with this crew and their relationships.

:applause:

What a load of wank.

Screw these 'streaming wars' - Discovery and Strange New Worlds are on Paramount + (so thats another channel to pay for). Picard is on Amazon still.

After 3 seasons of Discovery on Netflix, I'm not paying for yet another channel to carry on.

These channels need to sort their shit out or people will just stop watching.

In Australia a separate fee is needed to watch:

Netflix

Amazon Prime

Disney+

Paramount+

HBO max

Britbox

Foxtel

Stan

And others.

Crazy.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds does not offer anything revolutionary or different from the expanding canon of Gene Roddenberry’s creation, but it does give us the next best thing to a revival of the original series. With idealistic characters, a sense of fun and hope mixed with intense standalone stories, this series feels like a throwback to the type of science fiction storytelling that Star Trek always wanted to showcase despite being hampered by the filmmaking technology of the time. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds feels familiar and comforting in a way that Discovery and Picard do not. This series is a refreshing return to the original style of Star Trek through a 21st-century lens in a way J.J. Abrams’ big-screen reboot was unable to replicate. This is a fun and enjoyable show that made me smile the entire time I watched it. Trek purists will love this show and I hope new fans do as well.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds premieres on May 5th on Paramount+.

joblow_ST.thumb.PNG.801255d0e8347137f2935d21b526d453.PNG

This looks so great and I’m excited for it. I never got into the Next Gen series but watched it all because it was Trek. However, I never would have paid for a sub to Paramount just for one show. I would have just waited to buy the Blu-ray set. I did buy a one-year sub for my father so he could watch specific shows so this works out.