• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paramount's STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS starring Anson Mount (2022)
1 1

120 posts in this topic

Watched it. I'd say a slow start C. Wasn't terrible, but certainly not great either.

Amazing production value, very flashy busy effects/backgrounds. Maybe too busy. But really shiny and pretty.

So-so acting for most everyone (lines read too fast), felt like everyone too busy/quickly hitting marks to properly act.

Not the greatest editing either. Shots cut too fast thereby losing impact.

I liked the various call backs, not too crazy about most of the characters. Just didn't care much about any of them, with exception of Pike.

I'll watch one or two more. Hopefully they get better. Sometimes Star Trek takes awhile for everyone to get into it.

Edited by Rip

On 5/2/2022 at 1:31 AM, Beige said:

What a load of wank.

Screw these 'streaming wars' - Discovery and Strange New Worlds are on Paramount + (so thats another channel to pay for). Picard is on Amazon still.

After 3 seasons of Discovery on Netflix, I'm not paying for yet another channel to carry on.

These channels need to sort their shit out or people will just stop watching.

In Australia a separate fee is needed to watch:

Netflix

Amazon Prime

Disney+

Paramount+

HBO max

Britbox

Foxtel

Stan

And others.

Crazy.

In Canada they are all on the same Cable channel!

Space. 

On 5/5/2022 at 2:20 AM, Bosco685 said:

What a fantastic first episode.

So many legacy characters portrayed in a fantastic way. And a Picard haunted by the fact he know his future fate.

Think you meant Pike, but yeah, agree otherwise. Really harkens back to the original flavor.

I remember when TNG first came out, me and my friends would lament, there's no spock, and that guy isn't really a kirk.  Changed our tune after a few seasons.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 5/7/2022 at 2:19 AM, bronze_rules said:

Think you meant Pike, but yeah, agree otherwise. Really harkens back to the original flavor.

I remember when TNG first came out, me and my friends would lament, there's no spock, and that guy isn't really a kirk.  Changed our tune after a few seasons.

Yikes! Good catch. I watched both back to back too.

:cheers:

Got an alert on my phone that t-mobile was offering free year of apple TV. So I logged into my account and signed up.  Then I sawthey also offered a free year  of Paramount+ , so I signed up for that too.  1st thing I watched was the initial  episode.   I was very entertained by it.  Looking forward to the rest of the season. 

Watched EP1 just now.  Trek shows usually start off slow and get better over time, this one started off as solid.  Really enjoyed it, cast has nice on-screen chemistry.   For me it showed great respect for the original.  Chapel is a hoot! 

Very Entertaining!

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/13/2022 at 3:42 AM, csaag said:

Got an alert on my phone that t-mobile was offering free year of apple TV. So I logged into my account and signed up.  Then I sawthey also offered a free year  of Paramount+ , so I signed up for that too.  1st thing I watched was the initial  episode.   I was very entertained by it.  Looking forward to the rest of the season. 

Yeah, I got those T-MO alerts as well and just shook my head since I already pre-paid for a year of Paramount+ and I get AppleTV in the bundle I need just for iCloud storage and Music. 

Now that like half of all Star Trek series that have ever existed are airing (streaming) at once, there are getting to be too many writers involved to really maintain the integrity of the universe they are creating.

Like S1E2 of Strange New Worlds, where some kind of advanced alien comet/ship was trying to tell the crew of the Enterprise that they were going to be a part of making everything all right--it knew the future, with certainty.

Now either the future is a thing that can be known with certainty--i.e., it is inevitable, written in stone, and as certain as the past--or the future is a fluid thing, and can be expressed differently based on current choices--which is what the whole Season 2 of Picard has been about--the UNcertainty of the future, being careful not to "change the timeline"!  A LOT of Trek episodes across various seasons have been predicated on "not changing the timeline" when traveling to the past (or conversely, "repairing the timeline" when something has gone wrong)--and yet this new episode's "O. Henry moment" is predicated on the future being certain and knowable.  The comet/ship couldn't have "known" with any certainty that Spock was going to be a part of the solution if Spock can be said to have free will in any way--but Star Trek is traditionally based on mankind's ability to direct their own future.

So yeah, it's getting harder and harder to maintain a rationally consistent canon, but finding all the Easter eggs in these prequel series is still pretty fun and entertaining.

Episode 2 played like it could've been from the orig series.  Uhura's involvement was kinda telegraphed from the start.  Enjoying how the characters play off one another.  To me so far Pike, Chapel and Spock stand out.  I liked the premiere a little better than this episode.

On 5/5/2022 at 4:20 AM, Bosco685 said:

What a fantastic first episode.

So many legacy characters portrayed in a fantastic way. And a Pike haunted by the fact he know his future fate.

I will have to go back and watch more on Pike. I remember his episodes on the original when I was a kid, but its beena very long time. Any suggestions where I start?

All I remember is the illusions they created for him and his choice at the end.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 5/18/2022 at 12:03 PM, fastballspecial said:

I will have to go back and watch more on Pike. I remember his episodes on the original when I was a kid, but its beena very long time. Any suggestions where I start?

All I remember is the illusions they created for him and his choice at the end.

Star Trek discovery - the Red Angel season - sets up Pike's story.

Pike was only in 'The Menagerie' in TOS if I recall?

On 5/17/2022 at 9:39 PM, Beige said:

Star Trek discovery - the Red Angel season - sets up Pike's story.

Pike was only in 'The Menagerie' in TOS if I recall?

Wasnt that just the original failed pilot cut up into two episodes when it aired?