• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Alan Moore Appreciation Thread
10 10

467 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2022 at 5:52 AM, Bart Allen said:

Posted this in another thread earlier: Bought these for a total of $524.56 (damn the lowered value of the British pound lol) ~ Two have some manufacturer creases, but I'm glad to have these in my collection :3

dc3c9b4e20297e2d27ece418a3c1aa42.png

Wow! I'd be glad if I just had 1 copy in my collection with creases on it :nyah: Moore's writing in this title is sensational

I just got these back from CGC.  I really wish I had spotted the problems with Tomorrow Stories #3 before I sent it in.  Maybe I should ask a friend for a second opinion on submissions before I waste money on grading.  I've never used the pre-screening service from  CGC but I'm scared that it would take a year and a half to get my comics back if I used it.  Also I'm unclear on how prescreening would work on comics that I know need a pressing.  Do they press it first and then screen it or do they speculate what a pressing would to it?  Both of these were pressed.

Tomorrow Stories #03.jpg

Violator #03.jpg

On 7/29/2022 at 6:31 AM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I just got these back from CGC.  I really wish I had spotted the problems with Tomorrow Stories #3 before I sent it in.  Maybe I should ask a friend for a second opinion on submissions before I waste money on grading.  I've never used the pre-screening service from  CGC but I'm scared that it would take a year and a half to get my comics back if I used it.  Also I'm unclear on how prescreening would work on comics that I know need a pressing.  Do they press it first and then screen it or do they speculate what a pressing would to it?  Both of these were pressed.

Tomorrow Stories #03.jpg

Violator #03.jpg

Regarding Prescreens:

For the purpose of these discussions, there are TWO DISTINCT Pre-screen services - PRE-SCREEN FOR CLEAN AND PRESS, and PRE-SCREEN GRADING.  They are charged separately and are performed by separate entities.

1. PRE-SCREEN for PRESS - You send the comic to the presser (CCS), who will then evaluate the comic for 'pressable defects' that THEY THINK may be improved with their service. 

-If they find any issues, they press the book and charge you full price for the press. 

-If they do not see any issues that THEY THINK can be improved, they perform no other service and charge you only for the screening. 

-So to be clear, this PRE-SCREEN for PRESS is only to see if the book can improve with a press, not if it will press up to a specific grade.

** Then regardless of what happened with the press (or non-press), your book moves to ....

2.  PRE-SCREEN GRADING - The book is given to the graders, who essentially grade the book. 

--If it meets (or exceed) whatever pre-screen grade you requested, they encapsulate the book and log the grade and do all the administrative stuff,          and charge you full price for the whole grade/slab process. 

--If the book does not not meet the requested grade threshold, no other service is performed, and you are charged only the screening fee.  

Generally, if your books fail the one or more of the screenings, the process will be faster than if there were no screenings at all, as there was less service performed.

Generally, if your books pass one or more of the screenings, the process will be slower than if there were no screenings at all, as there was more service performed.

Of course, if you think you can identify pressable defects pretty well you can just pay to have them all pressed without even considering the pre-screen press stage, and just do the pre-screen grading stage.  Or vice versa. Or both, or none.

Of course, read the website carefully for rules around what can be screened and what the fees are.

good luck.

Marvelman #370 ~

The last issue which I've never seen for sale apart from one in 2021 and the CGC 6.5 copy (sold in 2020) that was in the U.S.A, of which I believe was @EwanUK's copy he sold several years ago (this is the image) ~ Out of all the Marvelman comics (including even Marvelman #26) this is the one I wanted the most, so I'm beyond elated :x

1444031660_Scan_20220806(2).thumb.png.53b55bb1d7c7beb0bb558188d459ee3e.pngScan_20220806.thumb.png.89ceb7651dab251012c9b56cd2b77201.png

Edited by Bart Allen

Bought this recently -- only for Young Marvelman #28 (which I've never seen before) and of course the prospect of getting another copy of Young Marvelman #370 -- also #72 for obvious reasons due to Nastyman ~

Image 01 - Young Marvelman 32x Comic Book Job Lot Condition Varies; Miracleman, Marvel

Image 2 - Young Marvelman 32x Comic Book Job Lot Condition Varies; Miracleman, Marvel

Image 3 - Young Marvelman 32x Comic Book Job Lot Condition Varies; Miracleman, Marvel

Image 4 - Young Marvelman 32x Comic Book Job Lot Condition Varies; Miracleman, Marvel

Image 5 - Young Marvelman 32x Comic Book Job Lot Condition Varies; Miracleman, Marvel

Image 6 - Young Marvelman 32x Comic Book Job Lot Condition Varies; Miracleman, Marvel

On 8/3/2022 at 12:15 AM, jdandns said:

Wow, neat stuff!

Are the pogs blank-backed? 

How about the larger cards? Anything on the reverse side of those?

Hey ^_^

The pogs are blank-backed <3

The postcards just have some general information about the origin of the images ~

Edited by Bart Allen