• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Alan Moore Appreciation Thread
10 10

461 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I have the 1st and last issue of this series and want to fill in the inbetween issues (any comic book dealers out there listening?)  I think the only issue I have that maybe could come back a 9.8 is issue #7.

Promethea #1.jpg

Promethea #32 a.jpg

Promethea #32 b.jpg

Due to an odd set of circumstances, I have the signed cover gallery book that came with the poster version of 32, but not the posters themselves.  Still consider myself lucky to have a couple items signed by Moore, he is not an easy signature to get.  I don't think it's any unwillingness to sign stuff, just his unwillingness to travel to events.

I've heard that Moore hates DC, Marvel, and Image and doesn't like signing books published by them.  It's just a rumor on my part though.  I don't know for sure.  I bet if it was for charity he might sign a Captain Britain or Swamp Thing.  There's a signed Moore copy of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen #1 9.8 on eBay right now and the seller wants $2,000 for it.  Too rich for my blood.  I think I paid $65 for my unsigned, graded 9.8 copy.

I just bought this a minute ago on eBay.  Does anyone out there in Internet Land know if the signature would come back from CGC without a Yellow label?  If it’s uncertified by CGC then it’s not worth the money sending it in to be graded.  It’s still a badass purchase in my opinion.

226090D6-6B14-4A1D-9EA8-1A224AECD3F8.png

5503D7B1-6FFE-4B67-BF13-4B576CB9F19A.png

14 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I just bought this a minute ago on eBay.  Does anyone out there in Internet Land know if the signature would come back from CGC without a Yellow label?  If it’s uncertified by CGC then it’s not worth the money sending it in to be graded.  It’s still a badass purchase in my opinion.

226090D6-6B14-4A1D-9EA8-1A224AECD3F8.png

5503D7B1-6FFE-4B67-BF13-4B576CB9F19A.png

but yes it would be a green qualified label for unwitnessed signature, but you might get a blue label if you asked them to count the sig as a defect on a comic.....

Doubt that you can get a "blue" at all on a print though :shy: 

I went to go look up what the most heavily graded Alan Moore books in the CGC census were and found that Killing Joke beats everything with over 7000 graded copies floating around there.  There are even 14 copies of 10.0’s.  Wow!  Swamp Thing #37 and Watchmen #1 are definitely up there too, but there are only 2 10.0’s of Constantine and none for Watchmen.  Anyway your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to tell the internet universe what high grade Alan Moore book you would send in first to CGC of any he’s ever written provided that NONE of that particular issue has ever been graded by CGC.  You have to look your response up first too.  I don’t want people saying Swamp Thing Annual #2 or anything.

To get the conversation started:  I first went to go look up the Miracleman reprints that Marvel Comics did in 2015 in the CGC census and found that all of those issues have been graded already, so don’t bother looking it up.  The Totleben cover to the #15 reprint is sweet.  There are a ton of Supreme’s that have never been graded.  I feel bad for the people who own 9.8’s of the Rob Liefield ones.

9 hours ago, johnenock said:

My favorite Alan Moore story is in Secret Origins. Great story about Phantom Stranger. He also did a few back-ups in GL that were pretty good reads.

Speaking of the Secret Origins #10.  One time I went on Metropolis Comics and ordered supposed “9.8 investment grade” copies of that issue and Saga of the Swamp Thing #10.  The Secret Origins is definitely not a 9.8 (didn’t even send it in) and the Swampy came back 8.5.  I’m never buying raw copies from them again.

By the way:  this thread could actually help people out there in Internet land who might be struggling with money these days.  I am fortunate enough to still have a job and can afford $20-50 for a raw ungraded obscure copper age comic that is high grade.  I don’t want to take advantage of anyone’s bad fortune, but if it’s just old junk to you that you don’t care about anymore, you can either send it in yourself’ s or sell it raw and there are nerds out there that will buy it.