• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Alan Moore Appreciation Thread
10 10

467 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2023 at 4:26 PM, Bart Allen said:

I knew you'd say that lol

I only said that because the character is still very underrated and rather unknown ~

Agree on the former but not on the latter. UK collectors have been scouring their country for decades looking for it. So…

On 3/19/2023 at 10:55 AM, JTLarsen said:

Agree on the former but not on the latter. UK collectors have been scouring their country for decades looking for it. So…

Really? But was the print run in the 1000s? I just meant that I wouldn't be surprised if someone had it outside the few including Derek, but I know how awkward it was to find #26 ~ Any new additions to your collection?

On 3/19/2023 at 10:42 AM, Bart Allen said:

Really? But was the print run in the 1000s? I just meant that I wouldn't be surprised if someone had it outside the few including Derek, but I know how awkward it was to find #26 ~ Any new additions to your collection?

I don’t recall the source but I think someone once estimated a 5000 print run. But comics got pulped in the UK in much higher numbers—and the UK didn’t appreciate their own comics. And yeah that’s a great point re 26! 

And that was with MARVEL hunting it. For 25 I know of Derek’s and Ewan’s. I think Ewan’s MIGHT be the one that just sold for $12k but I’m not sure. Those are the only others I know of.

I haven’t been buying as much Marvelman now that prices are taking off. I did finally get his first annual and his only ‘70s appearance: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2020/09/comics-101.html?m=1 it’s a one-page strip by Mick Anglo. You?

On 3/19/2023 at 3:29 PM, JTLarsen said:

I don’t recall the source but I think someone once estimated a 5000 print run. But comics got pulped in the UK in much higher numbers—and the UK didn’t appreciate their own comics. And yeah that’s a great point re 26! 

And that was with MARVEL hunting it. For 25 I know of Derek’s and Ewan’s. I think Ewan’s MIGHT be the one that just sold for $12k but I’m not sure. Those are the only others I know of.

I haven’t been buying as much Marvelman now that prices are taking off. I did finally get his first annual and his only ‘70s appearance: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2020/09/comics-101.html?m=1 it’s a one-page strip by Mick Anglo. You?

Woah that's still fairly low but exactly! Utterly agreed! Ah #26 :P

Great points! Possibly right there! But that's a great addition with #101! His only 70's appearance? :O I managed to get one of the /400's as I posted in it in the Miracleman #1 "Gold" Club thread ~

On 3/22/2023 at 3:13 PM, Bart Allen said:

Woah that's still fairly low but exactly! Utterly agreed! Ah #26 :P

Great points! Possibly right there! But that's a great addition with #101! His only 70's appearance? :O I managed to get one of the /400's as I posted in it in the Miracleman #1 "Gold" Club thread ~

FWIW it’s not NUMBER 101. It’s Comics 101. Like a college course. It was a UK convention and Mick Anglo did a one-page Marvelman but which to my knowledge is the only ‘70s appearance of Marvelman.

On 3/23/2023 at 12:55 PM, JTLarsen said:

FWIW it’s not NUMBER 101. It’s Comics 101. Like a college course. It was a UK convention and Mick Anglo did a one-page Marvelman but which to my knowledge is the only ‘70s appearance of Marvelman.

Ah, fudge I forgot that's the one I told you they reprinted in Marvelman Family's Finest #2 -- yeah you could be right there about his only '70's appearance ~

On 3/30/2023 at 8:43 AM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

184ACD1D-8E96-48B0-AB77-2CB875C3D868.jpeg

Impressive.  There's a bunch of covers for this issue as I remember.  Have you jumped down the rabbit hole yet?

On 3/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, revat said:

Impressive.  There's a bunch of covers for this issue as I remember.  Have you jumped down the rabbit hole yet?

Ha ha.  No.  My OCD, Swamp Thing excluded, doesn't run as deep as needing every variant cover too.  I used to be an Incredible Hulk completist until comic companies stared to do a bazillion variant covers while raising cover prices.  I still buy Hulk monthly (even though it kind of stinks now), but only one cover.  The Youngblood #1 has 13 different covers!  That's total overkill in my opinion.  I do really like the Skroce covers and would love 9.8's of those however.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, revat said:

Here's the variant I've got, or at least the one where I know where it is.  I wound up recollecting the set rather than digging into my storage unit.

Youngblood 1.jpg