• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Berkeley Sci-fi convention in 1968, comics & pulps

4 posts in this topic

Great post!  We are pretty close in years I suspect. I grew up in LA though. We had cousins who lived in the Bay Area and would visit them in the summer. My cousin would take us to local comic shops like Bud Plant's, Gary Arlington's and Beerbohm's shops where we would buy what comics we could afford at the time. He took us to the Filmore Auditorium a few times. Good times.

I had gone to a couple early SDCC cons and we had small cons at the Hollywood Women's club. Small events but I remember seeing piles of un-bagged GA books stacked on tables. First comic con I ever attended in the Bay Area was the 1974 Berkley Con. I remember finding comics from the San Francisco/Tom Riley collection with those tell tale stamps on the back in piles and boxes. Wasn't a pedigree then but damn, they were pretty.

Was a great time to be a teenager. So exciting and fun. I just wish I knew then what I know now and had a little more money...:sorry: