• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Mexican Publication Spanish Silver Age Collection
2 2

270 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not at all. It's actually nice to see the 'reprint' label wording on those copies actually. Keep em coming! :headbang:

Well I HAVE been saying "publication" instead of "Edition" going forward. Most of the copies I have are raw, only a handful certified, however I HAVE been seeing more and more of them over the last few years being graded. I think they're starting to attract a following in the hobby, which is great, but I AM feeling a lot more competition when I'm trying to buy more. GREAT for the hobby, more challenging to acquire quality copies for me and others. 

2 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Well I HAVE been saying "publication" instead of "Edition" going forward. Most of the copies I have are raw, only a handful certified, however I HAVE been seeing more and more of them over the last few years being graded. I think they're starting to attract a following in the hobby, which is great, but I AM feeling a lot more competition when I'm trying to buy more. GREAT for the hobby, more challenging to acquire quality copies for me and others. 

Good man :grin:

You won't get any competition from me - I've recently drawn a line around my now limited collecting habits.

Regarding the increased competition, it's one of the reasons I bang the drum on labelling - if CGC are starting to grade more and more foreign publications it would make sense to get the labelling right now before too many of them are out there. They are aware of my thoughts, so we'll see.

I think if you truly love comics then these books will appeal, especially to those who may have effectively run out of US originals to collect. If you're a completist say, or even if you just love cool looking covers, some of these books are hard to resist and have their own unique charm. It makes you wonder if you should keep quiet doesn't it - posting about them increases people's awareness and introduces more competition. I swear the prices of Australian price variants shot up as a result of my thread here - which has a bizarrely high views count - and others elsewhere. That's never my intention, to inflate prices, but the research does seem to draw in new buyers and encouraged the less scrupulous to test the water with silly prices.

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Good man :grin:

You won't get any competition from me - I've recently drawn a line around my now limited collecting habits.

Regarding the increased competition, it's one of the reasons I bang the drum on labelling - if CGC are starting to grade more and more foreign publications it would make sense to get the labelling right now before too many of them are out there. They are aware of my thoughts, so we'll see.

I think if you truly love comics then these books will appeal, especially to those who may have effectively run out of US originals to collect. If you're a completist say, or even if you just love cool looking covers, some of these books are hard to resist and have their own unique charm. It makes you wonder if you should keep quiet doesn't it - posting about them increases people's awareness and introduces more competition. I swear the prices of Australian price variants shot up as a result of my thread here - which has a bizarrely high views count - and others elsewhere. That's never my intention, to inflate prices, but the research does seem to draw in new buyers and encouraged the less scrupulous to test the water with silly prices.

I completely understand the need to establish limits in collecting, as I'm constantly pulled in many directions because I love so many genres and eras of comics. I'm sure to most that know me, they'd describe my collecting habits as a squirrel trying to cross an 8 lane freeway! lol I'm all over the place, but am trying to focus my sights on completing a few things before the cost gets too far out of hand.

I agree that if you truly love these comics that the crossover appeal should make these Other Nation publications interesting to you. In fact, that's the reason I turned an eye toward them, that and the rarity. 

I thought about the possible negative backlash of starting this thread, as it pertains to price, but my overwhelming desire to share them with other collectors won out in the end. If seeing this thread influences even one collector to take up collecting these comics, well that's a win in my book. People collect comics (and other things) for many different reasons. Some only want certified books and are content to look at the covers through the holders. Others want mainly raw books so they can feel the books in their hands, smell the old paper aroma and, of course, READ them. One of the side benefits to collecting these Mexican publications is that I really enjoy seeing the differences between them and their American issue counterparts. It really does add a different dimension to the experience. I have comics from all over the world and sometimes it just amazes me that our beloved funny books have reached so many shores across the globe. As funny as this might sound, another side benefit is that my Spanish has improved slightly as well, since I started buying these! That's right kids, comics can be educational too!!! :banana: 

3 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

I completely understand the need to establish limits in collecting, as I'm constantly pulled in many directions because I love so many genres and eras of comics. I'm sure to most that know me, they'd describe my collecting habits as a squirrel trying to cross an 8 lane freeway! lol I'm all over the place, but am trying to focus my sights on completing a few things before the cost gets too far out of hand.

I agree that if you truly love these comics that the crossover appeal should make these Other Nation publications interesting to you. In fact, that's the reason I turned an eye toward them, that and the rarity. 

I thought about the possible negative backlash of starting this thread, as it pertains to price, but my overwhelming desire to share them with other collectors won out in the end. If seeing this thread influences even one collector to take up collecting these comics, well that's a win in my book. People collect comics (and other things) for many different reasons. Some only want certified books and are content to look at the covers through the holders. Others want mainly raw books so they can feel the books in their hands, smell the old paper aroma and, of course, READ them. One of the side benefits to collecting these Mexican publications is that I really enjoy seeing the differences between them and their American issue counterparts. It really does add a different dimension to the experience. I have comics from all over the world and sometimes it just amazes me that our beloved funny books have reached so many shores across the globe. As funny as this might sound, another side benefit is that my Spanish has improved slightly as well, since I started buying these! That's right kids, comics can be educational too!!! :banana: 

Nice!.gif.48ca2bfef02dab104286080a1a8eb6f4.gif

This takes me back to when I was working in Mexico in my early 20s and found stacks of these at street sales for next to nothing.   I bought a handful but wished I had bought more.  I loved the issues of Spider-man and Sgt. Fury which were clearly created just for the Mexican market (I know now to call them "non-canon").   Especially impressing me was the fact they had kept Gwen Stacy alive for a couple years' worth of issues.   In some she was totally sexed up and in others she was saintly and wife-like, which put her on both sides of the so-called 'madonna-whore" complex.   Apparently the eventually had to kill her off, but by then it must not have been a secret to fans, because they opted out of the "who dies?" theme from the original cover. 

1.jpg

Muerte Gwen Stacy0001.jpg

Gwen married Peter in Hombre Arana 128.jpg

18 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Gwen married Peter in Hombre Arana 128.jpg

That's quite the in comic lately that one. A great cover with Osborne sweating away there in the background at the thought of the impending nuptials. And given the (horrific) JMS storyline that was to come, an oddly prophetic cover to, as it turns out. 

On 5/22/2020 at 1:12 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's quite the in comic lately that one. A great cover with Osborne sweating away there in the background at the thought of the impending nuptials. And given the (horrific) JMS storyline that was to come, an oddly prophetic cover to, as it turns out. 

I heard that Joe was basically assigned that story and apparently wishes he could retcon it from his experience.   

As to whomever assigned it to him, I understand the need to find something new but when you retcon a beloved character that horribly, it seems a far greater sin than it would have been simply to retcon her death scene and bring her back (a la "she only seemed to be dead"...)    

"Jumping the shark" is too tame a phrase for that story.  That was humping the shark and teabagging it. 

Edited by bluechip

1 hour ago, bluechip said:

I heard that Joe was basically assigned that story and apparently wishes he could retcon it from his experience.   

As to whomever assigned it to him, I understand the need to find something new but when you retcon a beloved character that horribly, it seems a far greater sin than it would have been simply to retcon her death scene and bring her back (a la "she only seemed to be dead"...)    

"Jumping the shark" is too tame a phrase for that story.  That was humping the shark while teabagging it. 

Indeed. See also 'Doctor Who'. 

5 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. See also 'Doctor Who'. 

Yeah.   They're talking now about whether to bring back Tony Stark to the MCU and between the multiverses and artificial intelligence they have plenty of options for doing so without even having to retcon it.  Of course, no matter how much it fits within their established reality and its rules, many fans will cheer but some will cry "hack" (and let slip the dogs of war).      

But to those fans I would point to the Gwen-f##ked-Osborn story and say it could be worse.  They could reveal that while Tony was away, Pepper f##ked Thanos and the big bad is the actual father of the Stark baby.