• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting Mags to CGC
3 3

221 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2022 at 11:56 AM, wombat said:

So economy pressing is currently 217 working days and economy grading is currently 249 days. Even worse than I thought as magazines are slower than regular comics. So 466 working days. lol. You can pay more to have them done faster. Some quick googling tells me that 466 working days from today translates to November 3rd 2023 if the clock started today. That doesn't even count holidays, just weekends. 

Just a sad state of affairs. 

It's been almost a year since the acquisition of CGC by Blackstone. Curious as to what their investment thesis was...

It's one thing to diversify and add more sources of revenues, but if you can't deliver the service to your customers in a reasonable time frame, the reputational cost could hurt the business big time... If they can't solve this issue organically by hiring/training more graders quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if they start acquiring the competition.

My two-cents

On 3/2/2022 at 2:39 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

"Guys, we hear you on turn around times which have become unacceptably long. We are therefore suspending the celebrity signing programme until such a time as we catch up, and are confident that we can fulfil all submissions in a timely manner. We know how valued the programme is, but it simply isn't right that submissions to a one off event should hold up - indeed overtake - books submitted in the normal course of business. Please bear with us and our staff as we do all we can to meet this unprecedented demand and get things back on track"

I would love them to say this and to stop accepting any more subs until they can get get their act together, I mean, where else do you pay for something then wait a year or more to get it? 

I have had an email from them saying my card has been declined for my 2 subs that are there at the moment, emailed them back twice trying to resolve with zero response, phoned my bank and they told me whoever tried to put the transaction through had entered the wrong expiry date, WTF?  :deadhorse:

On 3/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, batmiesta said:

Joking aside, the lack of response has really pizzed me off.  :mad:

Yes. It can make an otherwise rational and cool person act out of character, can't it....

On 3/2/2022 at 5:12 PM, oakman29 said:

I cant believe that after 20 years of business CGC couldnt foresee the explosion of submissions and dealt with the issue in a timely manner. That's just poor management and planning. Now they are inundated with so many books they cant get them out fast enough, which causes the quality control issues you are now facing. 

I worked in Barclays Bank for a bit, years back, on a Change Management team. It was our responsibility to set up a third party supplier to manage that year's ISA campaign (back in the days when an ISA actually paid a decent rate of interest). This was always a tough gig, as the ISA campaign was a one off event - a massive, immediate spike of time critical work - making it difficult to resource. The staff would be needed only for a few months, hence the third party supplier option. The Bank had years of ISA campaign volume data from which to estimate volumes. The experts did their very best 'maximum likely' calculations, and then added a bit more resource on top to ensure it would be a success. They then received ten times the volumes they were expecting. That was a fun one to work on. Absolute panic stations and 24HR disaster management. 200 processing staff trying to manage the time critical work of 2,000. 

In the end, a massive backlog grew. When submissions finally slowed down, they decided it was better to process the new incoming applications first - within Service Level Agreements (SLA) - rather than add them to the back of the queue in which case every application would fail SLA. Good for the late submitters, but rotten for those who got in early and had their application held up in the backlog.

So even the most experienced outfit can get it wrong, and get caught out. The staff involved worked like dogs. The customers, and media, said they (Barclays) were useless.

On 3/2/2022 at 12:12 PM, oakman29 said:

I cant believe that after 20 years of business CGC couldnt foresee the explosion of submissions and dealt with the issue in a timely manner. That's just poor management and planning. Now they are inundated with so many books they cant get them out fast enough, which causes the quality control issues you are now facing. 

It's tough to see your way out of the jungle when you're in the middle of it...   :whistle:  

On 3/2/2022 at 12:12 PM, oakman29 said:

Dealt with in a timely manner is an interesting way to put it.

This is in no way intended to be viewed as me approving of the way their business runs or the way they treat customers.  In fact, their accounting / billing department has been atrocious for as long as I was submitting to them.

But this submission backup is not a standard business issue that can be addressed with standard business thinking.  There are no schools churning out expert graders.  They can't put out ads (or they can, but would most likely be inundated with unqualified individuals.)  The amount of training that someone would need to receive in order to be qualified would be significant, and how would they do it? Open a "Grading Academy" and literally school people to grade?  Maybe that's what they need to do. But it certainly isn't normal business scaling where you just order more widget components and start making more widgets.

Again, this isn't an excuse. I'm sure that folks smarter than I am about business growth and scaling (which should be what Blackstone is good at) could make great strides.  But I don't think it is easy. I know how long it took me to be able to grade to CGC's standards and honestly, I was only worth my salt at 8.0+

If you gave me a 5.5 I'm as likely to call it a 4.5 or a 6.5 if it has defects I don't like.  There is a reason there are shortages of doctors - there aren't enough to go around.  Graders are not the same thing, but the qualified individuals versus the need is analogous.  

Having had time to reflect, there's a lot in my earlier post above that is unfair, I think. I should - and do, I hope - know better. 

There are problems in the model, but it is both pointless and unkind to sling unfounded mud about as I did earlier. I should do less of it, I think, and have edited the post accordingly.