• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales of Suspense 39 Jack Kirby All ???

83 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, grapeape said:

Actual Auction Results with prices realized.0E163EB0-4F91-44D3-AA8C-4B87555BD5D2.thumb.jpeg.627fc61534b63ca58bc37ff114122515.jpeg

Ah, Sotheby's at least lists the TOS # 39 re-do as pencils only.  Something also not being described in this current offering . . .

In addition to the controversial background, I do hope any would-be buyers are aware it's pencils only.

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

Ah, Sotheby's at least lists the TOS # 39 re-do as pencils only.  Something also not being described in this current offering . . .

In addition to the controversial background, I do hope any would-be buyers are aware it's pencils only.

That's something I wish CL would start copying from Heritage. 

For some pieces at these prices, clarity would be appreciated.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:28 AM, grapeape said:

Well here's Comic Link's description of TOS 39 recreation currently for auction ending 6/2 2020. The description leaves out any mention of the possibility that "assistants" helped Jack complete some of his later recreations.

This is Jack Kirby's recreation of one of the most covers of the Silver Age, Tales of Suspense #39 (1963), featuring, of course, the first appearance of Iron Man. Kirby drew this recreation along with some other recreations of his early Marvel covers in 1993-1994. Iron Man is now one of the most famous fictional characters on the planet. The story in Tales of Suspense #39 was drawn by Don Heck, but it was Jack Kirby who drew the first cover and is credited with the character design. 

This same cover sold at auction on September 9, 2019 for $23,839 listed with ComicConnect.  The auction house listed a caveat of sorts concerning the recreation see below.

This piece is not free from controversy, as some bloggers and comic historians have speculated that Jack had assistants help him with his work later in life. If he had assistance with this piece is unknown. Regardless, this is an accurate recreation of one of the most significant images of the Silver Age of Marvel Comics. It comes with the original certificate of authenticity from Sotheby's, signed posthumously by Roz Kirby on Jack's behalf.

At this point any Jack Kirby Cover Recreations listed for auction should at the very least mention the elephant in the room. The bidders can make up their minds but they should have "all" the information at their disposal. 
RADBC749202057_15535.jpg

$3,888 with 3 days left. Somebodies gotta be sweating bullets big time no?

:o

Awesome. Quality work creating a tonne of doubt ahead of an auction closing on someone’s major purchase. 

For letters after names, would you like credit as TMZ? Or Descendants of Nancy Drew?

1 hour ago, RS88 said:

Awesome. Quality work creating a tonne of doubt ahead of an auction closing on someone’s major purchase. 

For letters after names, would you like credit as TMZ? Or Descendants of Nancy Drew?

The doubt was not created by anyone here, it already existed.  The thread was specifically created to disclose justifiable concerns that are absent from the auction listing.

12 hours ago, RS88 said:

After Grape Ape just credit tag as the G.O.A.T

For those wanting to stay in the dark maybe credit tag the Ostrich 

7 hours ago, The Voord said:

Big price drop over last year's result and, taking into account inflation, a big drop in value over its initial 1994 auction sale.  hm.

You’re right Terry. I hope the new owner had some inkling on the various thoughts existing about these works. If they still bid they are probably happy. If they didn’t know....

I understand the desire to have something representative of the all time great Kirby covers. That being said, I have to put my money on 100% verifiable artist attributed art work.

Is this a correction that waits in store for any of the other Kirby recreations of the time period circa Sotheby’s Auction. We will only know if they come to auction or are listed for sale. 

We know about Sotheby’s sale price, the T O S 39 has changed hands at least twice since its first auction. Where’s the AF 15 ? I am positive I saw it listed on a dealers sight 10 + years ago for maybe $80 K.

Well, this is here for reference. If any other of the Kirby recreations of that time period sell I would appreciate it if it could be  listed to this thread.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:59 PM, Economy Joe said:

TOS39 recreation back up for sale (I think it is comic connect)

I didn’t see it for auction. Was it listed with a sale price?

On 6/2/2022 at 12:47 PM, glendgold said:

I am looking for that appropriate IT FOLLOWS gif.  Let's see if this does the trick...

likeaboogeronyourfingers.gif

😱 I’m a grown man and that movie creeped me out. Great fit. Once you’re  cursed you have to pass it on before.... 😂 

Edited by grapeape

Just read through this thread. Only info I can offer to the central debate of all Jack/how much Jack is this anecdote: shortly after Kirby passed, I was visiting with Joe Sinnott to interview him. He showed me two Kirby recreations he had been asked by Jack to ink — Avengers 4 and FF 49. At the time of Kirby’s passing, Joe had not yet inked them and he said he could not bring himself to do so because he thought they may well be the last pencils Jack did. He then made me look close at the lines on the characters on the covers, and sure enough there was an almost fractal nature to the pencils; you could see the impact of the shake.

This TOS 39 recreation does not exhibit what I saw on those other two, so maybe, since TOS wasn’t meant to be inked, someone did touch up the pencils? Just speculation on my part, comparing this one to the ones I saw. 

I don’t know what became of those pieces; Joe Sinnott’s sons still do cons offering their dad’s work; maaaaybe they would know? I will ask if I see them at Albany Comic Con.