• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's Minty-Mint?

36 posts in this topic

But he's the only one. The gulf between the Big 2 and everyone else would be massive.

In terms of CGC books, yes, but there are plenty of nice raw SA collections that would be right up there, not even including the tons of still-raw pedigree copies.

But he's the only one. The gulf between the Big 2 and everyone else would be massive.

In terms of CGC books, yes, but there are plenty of nice raw SA collections that would be right up there, not even including the tons of still-raw pedigree copies.

No way. Even in the pre-CGC days, it was well known that the Big 2 had the best SA Marvel collections, by far. Don't forget that both of them also had A and B runs, sometimes C runs, of several titles. I don't know if he's sold some or all of it off, but at one point Brulato's ASM "B" run would probably have ranked as the third best ASM run in the world, certainly top 5.

And where are these still-raw pedigrees that you're talking about? Except for the Curator FFs, many of the major SA Marvel pedigree runs are accounted for, and most are either currently owned by, or were owned by, the Big 2.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No way. Even in the pre-CGC days, it was well known that the Big 2 had the best SA Marvel collections, by far. Don't forget that both of them also had A and B runs, sometimes C runs, of several titles. I don't know if he's sold some or all of it off, but at one point Brulato's ASM "B" run would probably have ranked as the third best ASM run in the world, certainly top 5.

And where are these still-raw pedigrees that you're talking about? Except for the Curator FFs, many of the major SA Marvel pedigree runs are accounted for, and most are either currently owned by, or were owned by, the Big 2.

That's why I'm doing my pedigree reports. To determine what has, and what hasn't been graded. Of course, since my reports are only "known" graded copies, I'm sure I'm missing pedigree issues that have been graded, but never sold, registered, etc.

The interesting thing is to realize that even with SA books, pedigrees make up a huge pereent of the Highest Grade Copies. While you would think that some long time collectors would have NM or better copy runs of SA books, it doesn't appear that way. Especially, the lesser demanded titles.

ASM seems to be the exception with a decent amount of NM or better copies that aren't from pedigree collections, but in a way that makes sense since it was the title most in demand and collected.

Of course you do it to compete. Have you ever played sports? If you were involved in let's say powerlifting and you could only bench 300 but king kong was doing 600, does that mean you just give up or don't show up? You may not compete with those at the very tip top but there is certainly a competitive feeling amongst those in your class or surroundings - just like neighborhoods at Christmas and halloween and the tacky light show stuff. Who is going to out do who? I know many of the other guys listing books on the registry from this site, ebay, and cons and it is fun to compete. I have always collected as a run completionist and I like the registry for that reason also. I also wanted to post my books to hopefully get leads on upgrades and to fill holes. If I had books to sell, I would be checking the registry to see who needs what and soliciting offers. But i have never received a single offer. I guess people just like paying ebay fees or heritage fees or comiclink fees. Under the top couple of sets in each registry category, there is a lot of room for competition in my opinion.

If I had books to sell, I would be checking the registry to see who needs what and soliciting offers. But i have never received a single offer. I guess people just like paying ebay fees or heritage fees or comiclink fees.

Hey Robert:

I agree that I've never received an offer to buy a book based on a hole in my registry. That said, I have definitely bought books when people wanted to sell, by looking at their registry sets. Especially if someone says they need to raise money for other purchases, so they list a few books that they want to sell. I look at all their sets and have made some large purchases by buying books that weren't on their immediate sell list.

Regarding the competition, I put my books up for that reason. I know Doug's set will probably always beat mine, but being #2 isn't the worst thing (eventhough in reality I know it's #3, but Brulato doesn't have his sets registered).

Lastly Robert, you've been adding quite nicely to some of your sets lately. thumbsup2.gif

It is kind of fun once you get going and for folks who have the money and are completionists, it seems the way to go. And I know cgc would love to see everyone competing to put together sets! Does anyone know about competition amongst the coin guys? Or the importance of creating a set to those guys? The way comics are with the numbering and continuous storylines, they easily lend themselves to set building - not sure about coins. but if you were into sports cards, there would be some serious set building with different players and diff years. I have some major additions to make to my FF collection shortly and may have some major Hulk additions. It is good to see all the folks joining in the registry I think - at whatever level of collecting. I think it spurs interest in the hobby and competition is a good thing! And a little showing off doesn't hurt either. otherwise, these things would just be imprisoned in their plastic holders sitting in dark closets with no one knowing anything about them!

See - I told CGC would love to see some major set competition amongst the funny book crowd! Well we certainly have a long way to go to catch up to the coin guys but they have a pretty big head start.
I love the registry because of the competition.While I will never have the best ASM set(heck,I'd be lucky to make #15),It's alot of fun to compare sets.I enjoy watching people on my tail,and I love it when people above me leave( which I noticed isn't very often) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif.To slowly climb the ranks and watch your collection grow online is one of the main reasons I buy CGC books.I am actually upgrading books now,trying to replace 5.0's with 8.0's.I guess I'm just a stat whore,because I love looking at my rank on video games too(like Battlefield 2).The only suggestion I would make is to include page quality,but thats no big deal.........Thanks CGC, for getting me back into the hobby I enjoyed so much as a kid..... thumbsup2.gif

I just deleted both my Avengers set (there wasnt much to begin with) and my Thor set, which was going very nicely.

Just made me start chasing labels too much. When i would look at an auction and say, nah, i dont want that, its "only" a 9.0 it was time to reevaluate.

just deleted both my Avengers set (there wasnt much to begin with) and my Thor set, which was going very nicely.

Just made me start chasing labels too much. When i would look at an auction and say, nah, i dont want that, its "only" a 9.0 it was time to reevaluate.

In my mind, there is really two ways to compete.

1) Total Highest Score (meaning you buy HG books and upgrade)

2) Complete a set 100%. Grade doesn't matter. Basically for the completionist.

Therefore, those who like runs of books, but aren't so anal about the grade, still can get huge satisfication about their registry sets.

just deleted both my Avengers set (there wasnt much to begin with) and my Thor set, which was going very nicely.

In my mind, there is really two ways to compete.

1) Total Highest Score (meaning you buy HG books and upgrade)

2) Complete a set 100%. Grade doesn't matter. Basically for the completionist.

Therefore, those who like runs of books, but aren't so anal about the grade, still can get huge satisfication about their registry sets.

Steve, i agree with you on that, especially the secnd. However, to me, if yu are just going to complete a run and not worry about grade, then its just as simple to have it raw and in Mylars.

jmho

if yu are just going to complete a run and not worry about grade, then its just as simple to have it raw and in Mylars.

jmho

I concur. I have plenty of long boxes full of those...

Collecting CGC sets by quality has rekindled my interest so I have started going the CGC route to complete sets or upgrade my existing. thumbsup2.gif

Steve, i agree with you on that, especially the secnd. However, to me, if yu are just going to complete a run and not worry about grade, then its just as simple to have it raw and in Mylars.

jmho

Fair enough.

But I didn't really mean that those who don't care about grade at all. Most collectors have some type of minimum grade and I was really talking about those who want nice FN to VF books with good eye appeal.

Plus, regardless what anyone thinks, even low grade GA/SA and higher grade BA are very susceptible to having restoration (i.e. small color).