• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2020 Status?

51 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

Technology had already been evolving the way we buy, sell, trade, read comics for years now.  That really goes for almost any product including anything at Cons.  Covid is the final push to nail the coffin towards where we were headed anyway.

Yeah, I am really impressed with what Hasbro is doing.  I have been a frequent critic of Hasbro's moves over the past decade in regards to getting product to shelves, creating new product instead of repainting molds from over ten years ago... things like that.  However, with the absence of SDCC and Hascon, several times a week they have a panel that introduces new product across several lines.  It has been the same type of panel as you would see at a SDCC.   They have opened up question and answer articles to leading fan websites that discuss their product.   They have revised their format and operation to get their name out there... and it is working.  

Lego is doing the same thing with their "Lego Community" and ideas website.  They have also stepped up their game by releasing images and information to sites like Eurobricks and Bricks Brothers to be their news outlets to get information into the hands of their consumers. 

Covid definitely pushed these companies further into the arms of streaming and embracing more of an online presence where they reach hundreds of thousands for a fraction of the cost that it takes to reach thousands in Hall B at SDCC.

On top of that... and here is the obvious... I am not walking around on a concrete floor all day... waiting for a panel or a show or something.  If I miss it I can easily watch the recap at my convenience. 

4 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Technology had already been evolving the way we buy, sell, trade, read comics for years now.  That really goes for almost any product including anything at Cons.  Covid is the final push to nail the coffin towards where we were headed anyway.

pretty sure that once there's a vaccine, you, me and nearly every boardie will be dying to go to the next great comic convention. of course we all buy much of our stuff online now, but nothing can replace a room full of boxes and walls full of beautiful comics, even if the room is also full of smelly, fat, old men. 

28 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

pretty sure that once there's a vaccine, you, me and nearly every boardie will be dying to go to the next great comic convention. of course we all buy much of our stuff online now, but nothing can replace a room full of boxes and walls full of beautiful comics, even if the room is also full of smelly, fat, old men. 

I'd say that even before a vaccine is available most would be interested in attending a con.  As for me, I have very little interest as I haven't been to one in years nor do I plan to attend one any time soon.  The negatives (crowds, overpriced books, body odor, grumpy sellers) outweigh the positives.

6 hours ago, mysterio said:

I respectfully disagree. I'd go to a con every weekend if I could.

Agreed. Under normal circumstances I'd love to attend as many cons as possible. I have never, and never will, go for the panels, though. I love strolling the floor, seeing what various dealers have, and just chatting with people.

10 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

Agreed. Under normal circumstances I'd love to attend as many cons as possible. I have never, and never will, go for the panels, though. I love strolling the floor, seeing what various dealers have, and just chatting with people.

I’ve never been to a panel either. 

13 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

That is fine. The sentence before started with "as for me" and I meant that for the second statement as well. 

That’s why I added “respectfully”, to each his/her own.