• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel going digital only on some titles -- Yikes!
2 2

57 posts in this topic

Makes sense if the majority of sales are already digital but if not you lose out on potential customers. There is no reason to just do limited printing. Only 1500 available rest will be digital or something like that.

2 minutes ago, divad said:

So you're bigdoom? lol

Come on now. If he was my brother do you actually think I would claim him? 

He is a mega key issue of the forum though. If doom, Hollywood, krav or whoever with the red logo, the other guy with the red logo all left, then might as well shut the forum down. 

19 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Come on now. If he was my brother do you actually think I would claim him? 

He is a mega key issue of the forum though. If doom, Hollywood, krav or whoever with the red logo, the other guy with the red logo all left, then might as well shut the forum down. 

Translation required . . . . :roflmao:

My letter to Marvel tonight:

Dear Marvel Editors,

I just saw the recent press releases about Marvel going digital only with several of its books and realized that I needed to drop you a line.

I just turned 53, but I read my first Marvel comic book back in 1975, when I was 8 years old. It was Amazing Spider-man #147, and it ended with Spidey in chains and thrown off the top of the George Washington bridge. Eight year old me cursed the cruel fates that I had finally discovered such an awesome superhero, but in the very issue in which he died! And after such a healthy 147-issue run, too. (As we all know now, reports of his death were greatly exaggerated.)

I owe you all a heartfelt fan letter at some point. I have been reading the adventures and admiring the art that you and your predecessors have created for the majority of my life, and I have always set aside a little “mad money” for new comics, even when I was just starting out in the world and was very, very poor.

Today I have a great job in a Fortune 500 company that provides me with a fun, challenging work life, and a healthy measure of disposable income. I spend around $120/month on new Marvel comics, which I buy through mycomicshop.com. (I used to buy from a comic book store in my neighborhood, but I stopped, not because they were more expensive, but because they would bend and ding and rough up my books. Mycomicshop takes great care with my books, which I appreciate.)

I am just one of your readers, and my point of view may or may not be shared with others in your audience, but I wanted to give you one man’s report from the world outside.

I love Marvel comics. I enjoy and buy the adventures of the old guard heroes like Spider-man, Thor, Captain America, the X-men, Daredevil, and the Avengers. But I also love many of your newer heroes like Kamala Khan, Miles Morales, Amadeus Cho, the Champions, and Spider-Gwen. (I know that there are a bunch of white guys my age who have an allergic reaction to any diversity in the Marvel Universe. I don’t get them. I think your next generation heroes are engaging and fun.)

Having said all of that, I won’t be buying the books that move to the digital format. I’m sure the writing and art will be just as great, and this isn’t about punishing Marvel for “changing.” But one of the things that I love about comics is the physical experience. I am a collector, which means that as much as I enjoy following the adventures of my favorite characters, I also enjoy grading my books, and bagging and boarding them, and updating my spreadsheets of books I have and books I need. That may sound insufferably geeky, but for many of us, comics aren’t just quick entertainment; they are a hobby. And a digital experience loses all of the meta-experience of comics that I have grown to love.

If in time you move to an all-digital business model, I will just stop buying new comics and focus my time and money on tracking down all the back issues I’ve missed over the last 45 years. That should keep me busy for awhile.

This isn’t a boycott letter or a threat or a rant. I just wanted to share my perspective with you, since I think it’s valuable to know what your customers are thinking. Marvel has always been a special company, and I wish you all the success in the world. Of course, I will continue buying the printed versions of the books I enjoy. (I’m disappointed about Ghost Spider and Valkyrie Jane Foster, though. I will miss both of those books.)

Thanks for reading. This letter is just for us, so NOT OKAY TO PRINT.

However, if you have questions or want more information, you are always welcome to email me.

Make Mine Marvel,

<OffPanel’s real name>

8 hours ago, lighthouse said:

That’s the sort of letter I would hope they actually respond to. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks, lighthouse.

We'll see. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything back.

I'm of two minds.  I dont actually dislike digital comics.  I tried the marvel universe ap a few weeks ago, and was so impressed I bought a big tablet and a years subscription, and I'm loving it so far.  I'm reading hundreds of books I always wanted to read as a kid, and it's great.  

However, I dont see myself every buying single digital copies of any books.  A subscription to read most of the marvel universe is fantastic, but I cant bring myself to pay 4 dollars for any current book, let alone in digital form.  

30 minutes ago, waaaghboss said:

I'm of two minds.  I dont actually dislike digital comics.  I tried the marvel universe ap a few weeks ago, and was so impressed I bought a big tablet and a years subscription, and I'm loving it so far. 

To be fair, I buy some Marvel digital comics, too. I have print issues from the 60s and 70s that are either encapsulated or in such nice condition that I don't want to risk messing them up by pulling them out to read again. In those cases, I jump on the Marvel app, spend $1.99 and buy a digital copy of the book to read whenever I want.

However, I personally do not ever buy a digital issue of a book I don't have a physical copy of.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:08 AM, Off Panel said:

Thanks, lighthouse.

We'll see. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything back.

Many years ago my local shop wrote a letter to Isaac P. and Bill Jemas at the time about how 
Bill was changing how comics were being distributed and boasting how anyone could write a comic
book. A few weeks later he got a phone call from Issac then later Bill Jemas that day discussing
sales and his view of the industry. Issac made Bill call him. Shortly after that Bill was out. It does 
happen. Ive done it in the past when I was getting the run around from a company I just wrote a 
letter to one of their VPs certified and I got a response the same way.

I’ve only written one letter to a comic book, and it was published on the back cover. I’ve only written one letter to any other magazine (happened to be Southwest’s inflight magazine) and got that published as well. 

I’ve hesitated to write a letter to any other publications. Don’t want to break my streak.

On 6/11/2020 at 2:47 PM, Awax said:

People are just going to steal them the way they do music.  

On 6/15/2020 at 9:42 PM, Wolverinex said:

They already do.

LOL, correct. It's not like they have just started digital now.

Also, this isn't just a Marvel thing:
https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-rwby-genlock-print-finales-canceled-rooster-teeth-digal-exclusive/

4 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

So wait - did they take the titles 100% digital, or just the issues? Is Ghost Spider 10 waiting for me at my LCS right now?

No future issues (including 10) physically printed. Digital distribution to complete the story arc, then title cancelled. Physical printing of collected edition to follow.