• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel going digital only on some titles -- Yikes!
2 2

57 posts in this topic

How many of the digital editions have had the art modified from the original print editions?  I assume this has been discussed before, but I just noticed that, for instance, the cover art of Incredible Hulk 340 is a bit different in the digital edition available on the Marvel website than it was in the original print edition.  It appears that the digital edition has added or widened the white 'glistening' colour on some of the claws, while the original art on the print cover had the Hulk's reflected face visible across the entire width of each claw.  Is the version on the website from a omnibus release or something, or is Marvel just making random changes?

Marvel Digital:

clean.jpg

Original Print:

INCHU-340_2054771021f.jpg

I haven't made a point of searching for alterations, but does anyone know if it's common for Marvel to make minor changes to the digital edition artwork?  Or are these 'director's editions or something?  Hope the pictures are ok, I just found them on google images, if they're for sale then I'm not affiliated...

Edited by StreetPreacher

On 6/9/2020 at 11:07 PM, Myowncollector said:

I will only buy a new comic for speculation. Those things aren't worth $41. Speculation. 2. Have it just to have it, maybe like the artwork or story or character. I want the physical copy. If I only wanted to read it I would but wouldn't pay to.

I couldn't believe it when I found out how much NEW comic books sell for these days!  I guess kid's allowances must have gone up  A LOT in the past 20 years...

Luckily, I discovered that I'm mostly a fan of Cover Art, so I've just been finding framed cover art for $2 each!  I mean, I don't really care about reading Hulk 340, but damn is it a pretty cover!

So, is there any reason the digital covers are different?  Was this Hulk example just a mistake, or are they changing digital art on purpose?

Edited by StreetPreacher

Hulk 340 came out before Marvel was computer-coloring, so any reprint or digital edition would have been recolored (as I'm sure the original printing plates haven't survived). If they also had to scan a printed book for the linework (which is likely, if there aren't digital files avaialble), it could be that the detail in the area that is now "glistening" was hard to clean up, so dropping it out as they did was easier. I worked at a computer coloring place that re-colored some old Classics Illustrated books back in the 90s, and the process was rather tedious.

I realized for the first time that this cover features something one does not normally see on covers; the tongues of two major characters, and neither one of them is Venom.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:34 AM, FineCollector said:

Have we heard if Marvel plans to collect any digital series in physical tpbs?  That still seems a viable format to sell through Amazon, even if they don't think floppies are worthwhile.

I haven't seen anything for certain but I would assume so.  The writing style since I got back into reading comics around 2013 (not just Marvel but a lot of Image and IDW as well) seems to be story arcs that space 4-8 issues then TPB that immediately follows.  I've talked to a few shop owners who have had regular pull list customers stop getting floppies and just have them order the trades since they can get cheaper and have the whole story at once.  The trades are definitely a viable format through the LCS, Amazon, or whatever other retail outlet one would like.  I would guess that the digital only series would be made into TPB form.  Again, I know that this is about Marvel but I do have a couple trades from IDW of series that were originally released as digital only.  

On 6/10/2020 at 12:11 AM, fastballspecial said:

Digital is where I get off the bus. 
They can find a new generation to fleece with that.
If I can't hold it then I don't want it.

And what are the 'official' sources to obtain digital copies of Marvel back issues?  I found the amazon thing comixology, but they only seem to offer select issues... For instance I have a physical copy of ASM #320, but wanted to t read the rest of the 6 part 'Assassination Nation Plot', but digital copies of ASM #321-326 don't seem to be listed on the website?

On 7/25/2020 at 9:38 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Hulk 340 came out before Marvel was computer-coloring, so any reprint or digital edition would have been recolored (

That seems to make sense, I'll buy that explanation, thanks! 

So, is this just ONE MORE reason to collect the original books, I've heard that major colouring alterations have been made to a few other books (Conan) when they were recoloured to be reprinted in the 'digital age'

1 hour ago, StreetPreacher said:

That seems to make sense, I'll buy that explanation, thanks! 

So, is this just ONE MORE reason to collect the original books, I've heard that major colouring alterations have been made to a few other books (Conan) when they were recoloured to be reprinted in the 'digital age'

Removing the color from scans of old books is a lot more difficult than it may seem, particularly in areas with darker colors. The linework is always going to look better in the original edition.

The only thing that will get me back into buying new comics is when these clowns lose their copyright.

Instead of shaking your fist at the sky it might be beneficial to express your anger at the politicians who keep extending the copyright for DC and Marvel.

Dont see how Dracula and Tarzan in the public domain has hurt anything at all.  

Public domain makes complacent publishers invest in quality writing and art and releases the competitive juices of upstart writers and artists who want create and not follow a template.

Look no further than the Walking Dead run that took the zombie character to new heights.

I for one would love to see other writers and publishers try their hand at innovating and injecting new ways of thinking into a rather moribund Superman.

I’m sure this is old news for people on the boards, but I didn’t see an update in this thread yet. Marvel reversed their decision on going digital-only with a number of books.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-reverses-digital-only-series-finales-print/

From the article: “The full list of titles that will be released through August and September are Ant-Man #4-5, Marvel's Spider-Man: The Black Cat Strikes #4-5, Star #4-5. Hawkeye: Freefall #5-6, Revenge of the Cosmic Ghost Rider #5, 2020 Force Works #3, Ghost-Spider #9-10, Avengers of the Wasteland #4-5, Valkyrie: Jane Foster #10 and Ravencroft #4-5. Original heroes Aero and Sword Master will also see issue 10 of their series in print form.“

On 7/22/2020 at 6:49 PM, StreetPreacher said:

How many of the digital editions have had the art modified from the original print editions?  I assume this has been discussed before, but I just noticed that, for instance, the cover art of Incredible Hulk 340 is a bit different in the digital edition available on the Marvel website than it was in the original print edition.  It appears that the digital edition has added or widened the white 'glistening' colour on some of the claws, while the original art on the print cover had the Hulk's reflected face visible across the entire width of each claw.  Is the version on the website from a omnibus release or something, or is Marvel just making random changes?

Marvel Digital:

clean.jpg

Original Print:

INCHU-340_2054771021f.jpg

I haven't made a point of searching for alterations, but does anyone know if it's common for Marvel to make minor changes to the digital edition artwork?  Or are these 'director's editions or something?  Hope the pictures are ok, I just found them on google images, if they're for sale then I'm not affiliated...

regarding hulk 340 specifically, that art has been altered for publication a bunch of times. the white effect on the claws was added in a pin-up compilation from the 90’s. foreign variants of that cover also changed the changed the background color or had the image reversed. and oddly enough, the marvel poster featured a green hulk and orange background. marvel probably cropped whatever reprint edition of this image they most recently used, instead of scanning the original. personally, the white effect butchered the original art, not sure why anyone would think this is an improvement?