• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 D.C. Silver Age Keys
3 3

128 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Wow...crazy to see Brave & Bold 25 on the list, and as more valuable than Avengers 4.

Yeah - I know there was a movie (and another on the way), but 10 years ago this book would have struggled to make top 75-100.

The valuation is only set at the high grade. Bb25 is incredibly more difficult than avengers 4 in high grade. 

mid grade and lower avengers 4 wipes the floor with bb25

It depends on how you look at what qualifies for top 10. The top 10 most popular silver age DC's or the most valuable, and even if you do that at what point do you compare value, at 9.0 or 8.0 as a lot of these books are super scarce in anything over 6.0

Anyway I will look at it first as "most desirable for a panelologist.

SC 4

SC 22

BB 28

Adventure 247

Flash 105

JLA 1

OAAW 83

Action 252

Action 242

SC 8

Flash 105 as it started the superhero runs. Challs was sort of adventure and Lois Lane was ... well Lois Lane under Wesinger was something quite different. I would pick SC8 as Cold's debut is SA first super villain and set the model for the next decade. Not a thug with a double breasted suite and henchmen but something inspired by Sci-Fi. All these books move up and down depending on writers and artists, TV shows, success or not of movies. SC6 and SC 9 are very important but not must have books.

I can see how Mr. Freeze a Batgirl and Ivy are super strong but the later 2 have so many issues and the first one varies so much I think his Batman debut In Tec 373  is hotter.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

3 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

It depends on how you look at what qualifies for top 10. The top 10 most popular silver age DC's or the most valuable, and even if you do that at what point do you compare value, at 9.0 or 8.0 as a lot of these books are super scarce in anything over 6.0

SC 4

SC 22

BB 28

Adventure 247

Flash 105

JLA 1

OAAW 83

Action 252

Action 242

SC 8

Flash 105 as it started the superhero runs. Challs was sort of adventure and Lois Lane was ... well Lois Lane under Wesinger was something quite different. I would pick SC8 as Cold's debut is SA first super villain and set the model for the next decade. Not a thug with a double breasted suite and henchmen but something inspired by Sci-Fi. All these books move up and down depending on writers and artists, TV shows, success or not of movies. SC6 and SC 9 are very important but not must have books.

I can see how Mr. Freeze a Batgirl and Ivy are super strong but the later 2 have so many issues and the first one varies so much I think his Batman debut In Tec 373  is hotter.

I know you indicated Flash #105 (Mar 1959) as the book that started the superhero runs, but it was preceded by a year by Superman's GF, Lois Lane #1 (Mar/Apr 1958).

Not sure where Lois Lane can be placed except with Jimmy Olsen comics. Both kind of unique, but not really super hero books. Flash 105 proved kids would buy superhero books other than Superman and Batman. If 105, 106, 107 etc failed we would never have had the SA as we know it. Just more of Supes titles ( 6 of the not including World's Finest he shared with batman and Batman's 2. (again not including WF). DC was in a rut and they were basically the only show in town, saved by George Reeves.

On 6/14/2020 at 5:25 AM, Straw-Man said:

lawd, this thread makes me realize how lucky i was to have gone marvel as an almost-8 year old in summer '63.

Yep. I was a DC fan for the longest time, until questions like this came up. It’s a difficult discussion if your speaking with a Marvel fan. I have a top 7 as top tier keys.

1.    SC 4: Obviously for the…
2.    SC 22: top 3, there is…
3.    BB 28: no discussion needed
4.    Action 252: Newly, highly relevant
5.    Flash 123: This sets the tone for all comic dimensions today
6.    Adventure 247: I was never a fan, but when Overstreet mentions the 50th appearance, someone must have thought this was cool
7.    OAAW 83: great cover and story to kick off something DC will likely bring to big screen
Everything else is second tier, but if forced to choose...
9.    Flash 110
9.    Detective 359
10.    Showcase 34

On 6/15/2020 at 2:54 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

SC 4

SC 22

BB 28

Adventure 247

Flash 105

JLA 1

OAAW 83

Action 252

Action 242

SC 8

This 

I re-read a few books and have decided a redo (without regard to current value) is in order for my list...

1. Showcase 4 (Flash)
  2. Showcase 22 (Green Lantern)
  3. Brave and Bold 28 (JLA)
  4. Action 252 (Supergirl)
  5. Flash 123 (Earth-2)
  6. Our Army at War 83 (Sgt Rock)
  7. My Greatest Adventure 80 (Doom Patrol)
  8. Showcase 17 (Adam Strange)
  9. Adventure Comics 210 (Krypto)
  10. Flash 110 (Wally)

On 6/14/2020 at 3:09 AM, Rezin1234 said:

I believe tec225 is viewed as golden age. If not its typically pricier than bb28. 

also batman 121 is absolutely missing. It’s far more valuable than Batman 181 and flash123

Tec 225 is definitely Silver. Any CCA code book is Silver to me as it’s on this side of 1955 (thumbsu

Edited by Primetime

On 9/23/2021 at 5:06 PM, innocuous said:

I re-read a few books and have decided a redo (without regard to current value) is in order for my list...

1. Showcase 4 (Flash)
  2. Showcase 22 (Green Lantern)
  3. Brave and Bold 28 (JLA)
  4. Action 252 (Supergirl)
  5. Flash 123 (Earth-2)
  6. Our Army at War 83 (Sgt Rock)
  7. My Greatest Adventure 80 (Doom Patrol)
  8. Showcase 17 (Adam Strange)
  9. Adventure Comics 210 (Krypto)
  10. Flash 110 (Wally)

Adventure 210 (thumbsu

On 6/14/2020 at 10:33 AM, Math Teacher said:

Of these top 50 comics, I have 30 of them. I am missing Showcase #4, Flash #105, Adventure Comics #247, Action Comics #242, Action Comics #252, Our Army at War #83, Showcase #8, Showcase #9, Incredible Hulk #2, Lois Lane #1, Showcase #13, Showcase #14, Tales to Astonish #13, Our Army at War #81, Richie Rich #1, Flash #106, Brave and the Bold #25, Strange Tales #89, Journey Into Mystery #84, and Incredible Hulk #3.

The issues I put in bold are issues that I would like to add to my collection at some point in time. Right now, the issues I would be most interested in would be AC #247, SC #8, and TtA #13.

Here's an update. So I now have 34 of the top 50 books, as I unfortunately sold JiM #85 to help fund my purchase of AF #15. I used strike-through to indicate books that I have picked up this year. My new most wanted list would now be AC #247, SC #8, and SC #13.

On 9/24/2021 at 2:09 AM, Math Teacher said:

Here's an update. So I now have 34 of the top 50 books, as I unfortunately sold JiM #85 to help fund my purchase of AF #15. I used strike-through to indicate books that I have picked up this year. My new most wanted list would now be AC #247, SC #8, and SC #13.

Tough list. I thought you were also targeting some golden age? 

On 9/24/2021 at 5:09 AM, Math Teacher said:

I picked up Showcase 4, 8, 13, and 14 in the past year.  None of them were easy to find in the grade I wanted and at a fair price.  Mine are SC 4 in 5.5, 8 in 6.5, 13 in 7.5, and 14 in 6.5.  All tough books.  Even Flash 105 which I picked up in 7.0 was not easy.  Good luck in your search!

On 6/14/2020 at 10:58 PM, Rezin1234 said:

Same way showcase 4 is considered the beginning of the silver age. There are dates that exist. 

its a bigger and more interesting book than half the list. 

I don't know of a single person in the hobby that views tec 225 as golden age...not one?

On 9/24/2021 at 12:46 PM, Primetime said:

yep If anything, Tec 225 and Showcase 4 used to duke it out for which started the SA.

its not much of a fight...but in terms of general time frame, yes, many look at sc 4 as the beginning of the silver age, but tec 225 is certainly a silver age book, through and through