• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 D.C. Silver Age Keys
3 3

128 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2021 at 2:52 PM, Straw-Man said:

are there really 10 silver age d.c. keys?

Lol. I am pretty confident that the books appearing multiple times on this list qualify as keys, at minimum (as well as books like Batman 181, which I had in my list but may not have appeared on others' top 10).

I would put BB28 higher, like after only SC4.  This is DC, who didn't take of their business as well as Marvel vis-a-vis the team phenomenon, but we cannot forget that Marvel's super-successful team-based MCU the past almost 20 years a la Avengers (and soon FF and X-Men, too) is all b/c of DC's BB28 (which Marvel's folks admitted was the impetus for FF, right?).  Whether you are a DC or Marvel fan, one cannot deny the historic significance of BB28 for the two leading comic book franchises of all time.  BB28 is way, way undervalued today, but be that as it may, it should not also suffer the indignity of a lower ranking in terms of "key" status.   And come on.  Starro!   'Nuff said.  :) 

On 9/25/2021 at 4:23 AM, Straw-Man said:

"that's a great idea, teaming  them up and calling them the jla!   who we will have them fight in the first story?"

"a starfish."

"i'm sorry, i thought you said a 'starfish'."

"i did."

"we can't put a big starfish on the cover of the first issue!"

"but i'm going to draw a little pink target thing in the middle of it."

"why didn't you say so!!??"

“But wait,” says Julie, “a starfish would overpower our first of its kind all star team. What should we do?”

A loud SNAP is heard echoing the room, “Listen up, cool cats, I have an idea.”

On 9/25/2021 at 9:12 AM, bronze johnny said:

Showcase 6 - Kirby’s Challies were the first original Silver Age concept and a significant part of the foundation for the Marvel Age that started with the Fantastic Four. A very tough book to find in nice shape that also blends the late 50s Sci-Fi with heroes that Irwin Allen may have taken notice of when he gave us Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. 

Showcase 6 is a good honorable mention.