• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 D.C. Silver Age Keys
3 3

128 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2021 at 5:43 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Is Tec 225 no longer considered Silver Age?  I'd put it in my top 10.

As Gator pointed out earlier, many do consider it SA. However, as my world revolves around Showcase 4, anything prior, doesn't make the cut. But, I wound't be offended if anyone put it in their Top 10, it is worthy.

My take on this based on what happened back then, the influence it has had, rarity, and where we are as group of deep pocket collectors are going

SC4 -Started whole thing. The fact that they re imagined a GA character does not change it as the first SA book and the only other characters that have continued without a break since 1956 are the Trinity. Flash comes fourth.

SC22 Second of the DC SA keys and 2nd in appearance. I think GL since Johns has taken a much stronger hold in the DC universe, which is why it is above BB28

BB28 - Want to know what is happening in DC - grab the latest JLA stories. So many of DC's greatest stories are wrapped with JL. It may have been almost more GA in writing than SA but spawned one of DC's most powerful properties

Next is a shuffle - depends on time, what is happening with new books, writers, movie announcements, TV shows.

SC8, very rare in grade, Flash 105 not in rare in grade, Action 252 - first Supergirl but demand moves up and down much more than the others, and Action 242 super rare in high grade,

Adventure 247  should be higher, but they don't know what to do with the Legion - maybe one day

Then rounded out by JLA 1 & GL 1 depending on which book is doing better at the moment or which may have a TV show movie etc.

and that is 10

Honorable mentions - First Sgt Rock - one of the all time great War books, but due to the genre I think War books not as GA SA etc, but as a collective.

SC6 -Challengers - very important book, but it was a failure of the 60s. Never really became a super hero book, more of a "adventure" book very popular in the 50s. Kind of why it died out and how it has never had a decent rebirth.

SC 9 Louis Lane- Hugely important - a female lead in a comic, part of what DC did at the time, with Supergirl, Saturn Girl, Batwoman, and Lady Hawk - not how heroine are portrayed today, but significant.

SC 17 - Adam Strange - often forgotten, but back in 1970 when first guide came out, right near the top. The last of that huge genre of Space books started in the 50s.

I think the question on OAAW 83 in my mind is that it simply a continuation of the great war comics of the 50s. They never had the tap turned off like GA superhero books. I think SA is what happened when a DC took a risk on going back to what everyone said was dead. That is why SC4 is so important. It started it, succeeded, lead to a book relaunch, lead to a try with Broome and Kane's GL, by that time Thomas and Bails clamouring for the return of JSA, lead Julie to launch JLA and of course Marvel did what they always do - follow - and here we are today with Pop culture dominating. Comics no longer something you hid from classmates - now they wear their Cap America shield T-Shirts everywhere.

All starts with Action 1 and SC4.

On 10/1/2021 at 5:32 AM, KirbyJack said:

1. Showcase 4

2. Brave and Bold 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Adventure 247

5. Flash 105

6. Our Army At War 83

7. Showcase 8

8. Showcase 6

9. Brave and Bold 34

10. Showcase 34

Excellent list, I'd say my top 10 overlaps almost perfectly with yours.

My only disagreements are Showcase 8, as I'm not sure what this issue really brings to the table, and while I think Showcase 6 is an important book, I'm not sure it's a top 10 books as the Challengers were never a marquee team.

I would probably replace those two issues with Showcase 17 (first Adam Strange) and Flash 123 (first Earth 2 and first attempt to reconcile the GA characters with the SA characters).

Edited by tth2

On 9/30/2021 at 9:28 PM, tth2 said:

Excellent list, I'd say my top 10 overlaps almost perfectly with yours.

My only disagreements are Showcase 8, as I'm not sure what this issue really brings to the table, and while I think Showcase 6 is an important book, I'm not sure it's a top 10 books as the Challengers were never a marquee team.

I would probably replace those two issues with Showcase 17 (first Adam Strange) and Flash 123 (first Earth 2 and first attempt to reconcile the GA characters with the SA characters).

I never thought much of Showcase 8’s impact until I read here comments about Captain Cold’s place in the SA. It’s obviously debatable, but given the rarity and value of the book, I added it. 

Challengers are included because I gotta be me. Hail The King!

On 9/29/2021 at 11:27 AM, Straw-Man said:

will be back in a few when i can get my hands on my copy of angel and the ape 1.

2F95E7B9-0ABE-4F93-A6C9-A6DB00B248F6.jpeg.7fd65ab0c3b37d8f60e56823cdc238d9.jpeg

Saved you the trouble. Billy, I know there’s DC ❤️ deep down in your ❤️.

Edited by bronze johnny

On 9/28/2021 at 11:51 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

SC6 -Challengers - very important book, but it was a failure of the 60s. Never really became a super hero book, more of a "adventure" book very popular in the 50s. Kind of why it died out and how it has never had a decent rebirth.

One of my favorite books.  First silver age team of heroes.  .... The inspiration for the  Fantastic Four... and insanely undervalued right now... I would recommend picking up a copy if you can find it in the wild 

Edited by Wolverinex