• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 D.C. Silver Age Keys
3 3

128 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2021 at 5:32 PM, KirbyJack said:

1. Showcase 4

2. Brave and Bold 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Adventure 247

5. Flash 105

6. Our Army At War 83

7. Showcase 8

8. Showcase 6

9. Brave and Bold 34

10. Showcase 34

Love your list.  And yes,  love showcase 6. 

I could easily see DC make a Challengers of the unknown series in movie/tv form someday.... it has aged well and still a sweet title.  

On 10/2/2021 at 9:10 AM, bronze johnny said:

BP loves DC! A beauty and one of the classics!

Sometimes I wonder where Kirby would have taken the Challies had he stayed with the book. The first original Silver Age concept and Silver Age team also happens to get the first Silver Age run of its own outside of a "Superman/Batman Family" book. Kirby's run is the first of its kind for the Silver Age. The Challies were rewarded their own book before the Flash and this is significant given DC would not have moved on awarding Kirby his own comic if the belief and information they had available at the time didn't justify it. We know things moved more slowly back then in terms of getting feedback on gauging the reaction readers had so the introduction of the Challies in their own book during the early part of the DC Silver Age should not be underscored in terms of its success at the time. What keeps the Challies from having an even greater place in the Silver Age and the history of the American Comic Book, is the later success of Kirby and Lee's Fantastic Four. Still, the Challies have their place and their run ended with the end of the Silver Age they helped start. The reintroduction and revision or modification of Golden Age heroes was one of the greatest achievements in comic book history and DC initiated this with Barry Allen's Flash in Showcase 4. Kirby's Challies proved that there was a place for new original creations besides the reintroduction of the revised Golden Age Superhero. DC's awarding Kirby's Challies their own book not long after their introduction in Showcase 6 further demonstrates the publisher's committment to Jack's vision and lays the foundation for later comic book publishers, artists, and writers to create new concepts in addition to reinventing the old. Especially when Kirby showed them all that it works. The creation of new concepts would supersede DC's reintroduction of the superhero achievement when Marvel (with Kirby himself at the lead!) took Kirby's approach at creating new original concepts that he started with the Challies when Jack teamed with Stan and the legendary Bullpen. The early Silver Age that is exclusively defined by DC (1956 -1961) is a fascinating era that isn't just about what hit the newstands during that time but also about the seeds that were planted for the next great period when Stan and Jack (and Steve) took the medium to a whole new level by bringing back the best of the Timely era for a new generation to enjoy but most importantly, creating new characters/cocepts that led the world of comics for generations to follow. It started with Kirby the visionary taking his creative genius back in the early Silver Age and challenging the unknown...   

it's this kind of passion that led my buddy to getting that angel and the ape beauty in his short box of with-me-'til-i-die classics!

On 10/3/2021 at 12:10 AM, bronze johnny said:

BP loves DC! A beauty and one of the classics!

Sometimes I wonder where Kirby would have taken the Challies had he stayed with the book. The first original Silver Age concept and Silver Age team also happens to get the first Silver Age run of its own outside of a "Superman/Batman Family" book. Kirby's run is the first of its kind for the Silver Age. ..........

That is so well set out. and What If  Schiff had not pi@#ed off Kirby -would Stan  have then had the chance to write "that Great American novel" - we will never know

and love how you are splitting the SA to 56-61 and 61- beyond , so very true

On 9/30/2021 at 2:32 PM, KirbyJack said:

1. Showcase 4

2. Brave and Bold 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Adventure 247

5. Flash 105

6. Our Army At War 83

7. Showcase 8

8. Showcase 6

9. Brave and Bold 34

10. Showcase 34

I can't see how Action 252 would be left off of any top 10 list? I would at a minimum bump off SC 6 or 34 for it. But that's just me 😊

Solved:

1. Showcase 4

2. Brave and Bold 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Adventure 247

5. Flash 105

6. Our Army At War 83

7. Action 252

8. Showcase 6

9. Brave and Bold 34

10. Showcase 34

Significant mention:

Action 242

Batman 121

I don’t see why Showcase 8 should be on the list. It’s definitely a book for a Flash collector but I give as much weight to Captain Cold’s first appearance weight when compared to the other DC Silver Age new and revamped creations. As for Action 242, Brainiac is a significant villain in Superman’s world but he’s not on the same level as a Dr. Doom and for that matter, Darkseid. Brainiac has not transcended to the the level of villain recognition required to make Action 242 an overall major Silver Age DC key. That’s not to say it’s not a key. It is but even Batman 121 has a more well known villain in comic book fandom. The relative scarcity of Action 242 does contribute to its value and that’s not something to be taken lightly. Still, best to look to Batman and the Flash for better original Silver Age villains (Captain Cold isn’t one of the leading contenders in Flash’s Silver Age rogue gallery). That said, I placed Action 242 and Bats 121 in the “significant mention” category given the potential for these books to one day crack the DC Silver Age top 10.

I would like to point out being a Metal Men fan, that as robots, even sentient robots, the depiction of mutilations, beheadings and dismemberments that were not allowed to be shown of humans by the Comics Code in the Silver Age, were allowed if it was robots that were involved in such violence. Here are a few examples. The horror! 

METAL MEN #14 B.jpg

metal men 21 B.jpg

metal men 27_edited.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

On 3/27/2022 at 5:46 AM, Jaylam said:

I would like to point out being a Metal Men fan, that as robots, even sentient robots, the depiction of mutilations, beheadings and dismemberments that were not allowed to be shown of humans by the Comics Code in the Silver Age, were allowed if it was robots that were involved in such violence. Here are a few examples. The horror! 

Good point! lol