• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 D.C. Silver Age Keys
3 3

128 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2022 at 7:20 AM, bronze johnny said:

I don’t see why Showcase 8 should be on the list.

It is a book for Comic collectors, not just DC collectors or marvel collectors, or golden age collectors. Also being 1957 it is very rare in grades above 4.5. Most DC early keys, Action 242, 252, Adventure 247 also are rare but Action and Adventure were high print run comics back in 1957 as Supes was DC's big seller. The Overstreet list is for comics at 9.2 . Not any grade. Actually at around 3.0 to 5.5 Action 252 and SC 8 are similar, but 252 is easy to find SC 8 over 4.0 no. There is a SC8 at 9.2 on HA now. Be interesting to see where it lands.

And as for captain Cold, well he has his own DC " black label " comic now, I would not hold my breath for Supergirl or the Challengers or Atom to ever have one. Most young Comic fans don't know who the Challengers, Metal Men or Ray Palmer Atom are. In twenty years does anyone think they will care? By then unless they can invigorate Supergirl she may be the next Mary Marvel. Only loved by people with grey hair and grand kids. The Challengers will be the next Green Lama.

Supergirl, Challengers and Atom are all easily reinvigorated properties, especially the Challengers in the movie age, if Time Warner could ever get anything right.

I think the case for Showcase 8 is he’s the first real new super-villain of the Silver Age, and thus a sign the second age of heroes was here to stay, not just an experiment. 

If I would drop any from the lists made, it would be B&B 34. While the facts of Hawkman’s origin changed, he’s the least different of the other silver age new version heroes (Flash, GL, Atom). That said, I would love a clean copy with a deep color strike to just ogle in a Mylar or slab, as I love that Kubert cover. But those six B&B Hawkman re-intro issues are unreadable. 

My motto has always been “read your keys” as so many today don’t understand how anything other than a first appearance could be a key. But in this case, you read the SA Hawkman relaunch and wonder why it’s a key.

On 3/26/2022 at 10:53 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

It is a book for Comic collectors, not just DC collectors or marvel collectors, or golden age collectors. Also being 1957 it is very rare in grades above 4.5. Most DC early keys, Action 242, 252, Adventure 247 also are rare but Action and Adventure were high print run comics back in 1957 as Supes was DC's big seller. The Overstreet list is for comics at 9.2 . Not any grade. Actually at around 3.0 to 5.5 Action 252 and SC 8 are similar, but 252 is easy to find SC 8 over 4.0 no. There is a SC8 at 9.2 on HA now. Be interesting to see where it lands.

And as for captain Cold, well he has his own DC " black label " comic now, I would not hold my breath for Supergirl or the Challengers or Atom to ever have one. Most young Comic fans don't know who the Challengers, Metal Men or Ray Palmer Atom are. In twenty years does anyone think they will care? By then unless they can invigorate Supergirl she may be the next Mary Marvel. Only loved by people with grey hair and grand kids. The Challengers will be the next Green Lama.

The Challengers can also be the next Doom Patrol. Did anyone ever expect the Guardians of the Galaxy to reach the level of popularity they have? The biggest problem characters like the Challies, Ray Palmer, and Supergirl have is the good people at DC Comics. Leave it to DC to mess up a high mass. SC 8 is a great book to have in a collection but collectors like myself went after SC 6, SC 9, and SC 17 before considering the second Flash tryout book. 

I have the early Challs in Australian editions and they are nice. Back in the day the Challs had probably more covers in Australia than Wonder Woman, so in their day they were thought of as significant. Chaykin had a shot at them not sure who else but to me they are like Sea Devils, Rip Hunter  and Cave Carson. More monster fighters, - multi man, Kra, Volcano Man, etc. than super-heroes. 

Poor old Adam needs more than reboot - he needs a resurrection. Shame but again in 10 years who is going to chase a guy with a jet pack and ray gun.

Not sure at a Con when I ever saw anyone Cosplay Rocky or Ace although I have seen a Legends Ray Palmer.

On 3/27/2022 at 5:06 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I have the early Challs in Australian editions and they are nice. Back in the day the Challs had probably more covers in Australia than Wonder Woman, so in their day they were thought of as significant. Chaykin had a shot at them not sure who else but to me they are like Sea Devils, Rip Hunter  and Cave Carson. More monster fighters, - multi man, Kra, Volcano Man, etc. than super-heroes. 

Poor old Adam needs more than reboot - he needs a resurrection. Shame but again in 10 years who is going to chase a guy with a jet pack and ray gun.

Not sure at a Con when I ever saw anyone Cosplay Rocky or Ace although I have seen a Legends Ray Palmer.

DC has to continue working with these properties or they will become lost to the public domain. The problem isn’t these characters per se - it rests with the geniuses at DC Comics. I’m sure Marvel could work with the Challies and Adam Strange. 

On 3/26/2022 at 2:46 PM, Jaylam said:

I would like to point out being a Metal Men fan, that as robots, even sentient robots, the depiction of mutilations, beheadings and dismemberments that were not allowed to be shown of humans by the Comics Code in the Silver Age, were allowed if it was robots that were involved in such violence. Here are a few examples. The horror! 

METAL MEN #14 B.jpg

metal men 21 B.jpg

metal men 27_edited.jpg

Did I count that right? 14 heads flying on 3 covers. Too bad there was no red oil dripping.

On 3/27/2022 at 10:31 PM, bronze johnny said:

I’m sure Marvel could work with the Challies and Adam Strange. 

Not sure of that. If they could Ghost Rider, Midknight, Nova,Luke Cage and Spider-Woman, not to mention Deathlok, and Man-Thing would live on outside the memories of Marvel 50 year old  bronze age fans.

Yes and I enjoyed it. There is a place for him, but as an irregular nostalgia character. After all Sam from Angel and the Ape has just resurfaced. Just can't see that driving value. (Sure did last year after that series but maybe that was a blip.)

Terry

Martian Manhunter is very non Silver Age in content. Was sort of a transition from GA looking for a home. Fought guys with hats and had a magical helper (was he called Zoot or something) looked like he should have been a toy for under 8s. The formula for SA starts with SC4, then grows throw 8,13,14 and 105. Super hero v Super Villain, and that is what Marvel hooked onto. Still with us today.

On 4/1/2022 at 2:15 PM, Terry JSA said:

1. Showcase #4

2. Showcase #22

3. The Brave and the Bold #28

4. Flash #105

5. Adventure Comics #247

6. Our Army At War #83

7. Showcase #8 

8. Showcase #6

9. Showcase #34

10. Brave and Bold #34

I would like to honorably mention Detective Comics #225 as it didn’t make the list. Although many consider this the first Silver Age book, Martian Manhunter makes his first appearance in this issue and it precedes Showcase #4 by nearly a year. 

I must be out of the loop.   No knock on MM, it’s a great book.  But, I’ve never heard anyone refer to it as the first SA book.  I’ve only ever heard Showcase 4.

On 4/2/2022 at 11:44 PM, bronze johnny said:

Keep in mind that the Challies and Lois Lane were awarded their own books before the Flash. Kirby’s contribution to the DC Silver Age and the first original Silver Age creation introduced in Showcase 6 received its own book for a reason and that shouldn’t be underscored. DC could have easily given the Flash his own title in 1957-1958 before Lois and the Challies. Showcase 8 could have been the second tryout issue for the Challies. The remaining Flash tryout books could have easily been more Challies and Lois Lane. Rather, DC went with them first and continued to keep the Flash in the Showcase title. Unfortunately for Challie’s fans, Kirby never stuck around long enough to make it one of the greatest ever Silver Age comic books. Lois, on the other hand, stayed true to the winning Superman “family” formula. Also significant is that the Superman and Batman books remained the top sellers during the late 1950s and into the early 1960s. The newest DC superhero books (Flash & Green Lantern) introduced during the DC Silver Age never achieved that level of success. Lois Lane’s own title contributed to the continuing success of the Superman books and Showcase 9 demonstrated that there was room to grow. Interestingly, Lois is also the first female character Silver Age title and that’s historic but never discussed. The greatest era of the war genre begins with DC’s Big 5 war titles kicking off with Sgt. Rock’s first appearance in OAAW 83. It’s not all Showcase 4 and the the Flash when looking at the early Silver Age. It’s the collective effort of the team at DC stewarded by Julius Schwartz that leads us into the second great age of the comic book and sets the stage for Marvel Comics to change comic book characters forever. Yes, Showcase 4 is historic and remains the first Silver Age book but it didn’t take DC into the Silver Age on its own. The emergence of both new, Sci-Fi & Adventure (Challies), and reliable Superman based characters including a book that has the “First Woman” of the Silver Age title also led the way to this great era of the DC Silver Age of Comics. A fascinating and exciting time for comic book readers who went to the newsstand and first saw these books. Imagine what it was like!

That is a great summary and I do not disagree, but Julie's children are what now drive half of DC while Batman drives the other half. The Challs were the most successful of the monster hunter books. They are enormously important and if a collector is solely interested in history of the medium I can see that, but that is not what drive's prices. Not sure whether the OP was referring to top priced and most collectable Top Ten or the most significantly important. Lois lane and Challs are certainly extremely significant.

On 4/1/2022 at 2:15 PM, Terry JSA said:

1. Showcase #4

2. Showcase #22

3. The Brave and the Bold #28

4. Flash #105

5. Adventure Comics #247

6. Our Army At War #83

7. Showcase #8 

8. Showcase #6

9. Showcase #34

10. Brave and Bold #34

I would like to honorably mention Detective Comics #225 as it didn’t make the list. Although many consider this the first Silver Age book, Martian Manhunter makes his first appearance in this issue and it precedes Showcase #4 by nearly a year. 

Wow, no Action 242 or 252?

Why Flash 105 and not Green Lantern 1?