• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I personally wouldn't pay a penny more for a newsstand ASM 300, but I'm a realist and won't dispute the fact that some folks are willing to do so.

32 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I personally wouldn't pay a penny more for a newsstand ASM 300, but I'm a realist and won't dispute the fact that some folks are willing to do so.

no 9.8 newsstand and only 1 9.6 newsstand w/ no sigs on sale in all of ebay...  scarcity has a premium.... :applause:

I know this has, more or less, turned into a direct/newsstand discussion, but I think the price bump has something to do with the symbiote increase across the board.  ASM 300, ASM 361, Venom 3, and all the modern variants are moving.  (siiiiiiigghhhhh) I only have the one I got from my sub all those years ago. 

27 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

I know this has, more or less, turned into a direct/newsstand discussion, but I think the price bump has something to do with the symbiote increase across the board.  ASM 300, ASM 361, Venom 3, and all the modern variants are moving.  (siiiiiiigghhhhh) I only have the one I got from my sub all those years ago. 

What's in Venom 3 that's causing it to tick upwards? (shrug)

9 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

It is the first appearance of Knull, who is Lord of the Symbiotes.  That book is on fire. 

10 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

It is the first appearance of Knull, who is Lord of the Symbiotes.  That book is on fire. 

Ah, the 2018 series.

18 hours ago, god503 said:

no 9.8 newsstand and only 1 9.6 newsstand w/ no sigs on sale in all of ebay...  scarcity has a premium.... :applause:

Scarcity alone is not a cause for a premium.  Scarcity + demand is, and hence the relative minority of ASM 300 collectors willing to pay a premium for the ASM 300 newsstand.

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
12 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

Ah, the 2018 series

Yes, sorry.  I didn't specify.  $200 for high grade raw, $350 - 400 for 9.8 blue.  I don't do moderns, but man, there is some money changing hands on these and the variants.  And I can't imagine them not having an affect on the original 1st apps of  Venom and Carnage. 

23 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Scarcity alone is not a cause for a premium.  Scarcity + demand is, and hence the relative minority of ASM 300 collectors willing to pay a premium for the ASM 300 newsstand.

Majority of those buying now and driving the price up are using it as an investment tool.  Safe to say most "real collectors" already have asm 300 in their arsenal.  So scarcity and demand are different sides of the same coin.  Just another way of saying supply.  Econ 101.  

On 7/28/2020 at 1:17 PM, Spidey 62 said:

Yes, sorry.  I didn't specify.  $200 for high grade raw, $350 - 400 for 9.8 blue.  I don't do moderns, but man, there is some money changing hands on these and the variants.  And I can't imagine them not having an affect on the original 1st apps of  Venom and Carnage. 

I sold 1 to a boardie and a sig series to someone on Facebook, the book is really exploding now

If you really want to be surprised, check out Venom 3 3rd printing (2018). 9.8’s are selling $800+ and have hit $1K.

My 1st and 3rd print copy i bought new is at CGC right now. Hoping for that 9.8.

my ASM300 is a lowly Direct Edition 9.6, currently at voldy getting reholdered, their new cases are apparently a huge improvement.

On 7/27/2020 at 3:19 PM, valiantman said:

It wasn't that long ago that people on this messageboard were scoffing at the idea that newsstand would be even a 25% premium.  People who scoff at things are dumb.

I scoff at dumb people. 

(:

FWIW, I ended up getting over $1300 for my UXM 266 9.8 newsstand copy on Clink last month, while direct edition copies are in the $450-$550 range. The gap is starting to hit 2 - 3x (or more) across the board for a lot of books now.

Edited by kimik

5 hours ago, kimik said:

FWIW, I ended up getting over $1300 for my UXM 266 9.8 newsstand copy on Clink last month, while direct edition copies are in the $450-$550 range. The gap is starting to hit 2 - 3x (or more) across the board for a lot of books now.

Yeah, mass manipulation by lying :censored:bags will do that when most of the buyers in the market are gullible fools.

16 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
21 hours ago, kimik said:

Yeah, mass manipulation by lying :censored:bags will do that when most of the buyers in the market are gullible fools.

What is the correct ratio of CGC 9.8 UXM 266 newsstand to CGC 9.8 UXM 266 direct edition?

19 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

How so? Newsstand copies are being sought after just like CPV copies, 30/35 cent price variants, etc. before them. The market decides the prices, and there are plenty of variant collectors/speculators of every type.

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

What is the correct ratio of CGC 9.8 UXM 266 newsstand to CGC 9.8 UXM 266 direct edition?

Who knows? You know I'm not going to try to assign a value to that question, just like you know there are those who will happily pull something out of their :censored: in the name of hype.

30 minutes ago, kimik said:

How so? Newsstand copies are being sought after just like CPV copies, 30/35 cent price variants, etc. before them. The market decides the prices, and there are plenty of variant collectors/speculators of every type.

What's a CPV? Do you mean Canadian Newsstand edition?

So where have these Newsstand "collectors" been for the past 40 years? Am I really supposed to believe that it's coincidence that there's suddenly demand for Newsstands during a period of rampant speculation while certain sources of misinformation are hyping them while being very careful to avoid any truths that could make them seem more common?

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

So where have these Newsstand "collectors" been for the past 40 years? Am I really supposed to believe that it's coincidence that there's suddenly demand for Newsstands during a period of rampant speculation while certain sources of misinformation are hyping them while being very careful to avoid any truths that could make them seem more common?

Yes, CPV = Canadian Price Variant or newsstand edition.

The collectors have been there for a while, it is just now that the speculators are catching up. I have been buying regular newsstand copies as well as CPVs whenever I see them for the past 20+ years. I figured it was only a matter of time for them to pop. 

That being said, the price jumps for regular newsstand editions and other books is primarily due to COVID cheques and a lack of conventions this year. Look at prices on key or variant Copper and Modern books across the board, or the latest issue with a 1st appearance from Marvel or DC. Right now we are in a phase like the early to mid 90s blow off. The smart play is to profit from it while it lasts.

On 8/2/2020 at 5:42 PM, Lazyboy said:

On 8/3/2020 at 1:33 PM, Lazyboy said:

Who knows? You know I'm not going to try to assign a value to that question, just like you know there are those who will happily pull something out of their :censored: in the name of hype.

On 8/3/2020 at 1:50 PM, Lazyboy said:

Sounds like someone needs a nap. :whatev: