• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Go back 10-15 years and the exact same words were being said on this forum about Incredible Hulk #181.

In 2006 (32 years after the IH 181 came out), the value of a "NM" copy (so let's call it a 9.4) was $1,350. Now, 32 years after ASM 300 came out, 9.4 ASM 300s are approaching sales of $800. That same 9.4 IH today looks like it's sitting around $9,0000. I know scarcity and census and all of that has been talked to death, but there are also interesting parallels between these books (full introduction if a massively popular character for example), plus 300 has the extra distinction of an anniversary issue and one of the comic "game changing" artists (like him or not). I know people think this is a bubble, but I know I'd also have hated to miss out getting in on this book like I missed out getting in on IH 181...

25 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Go back 10-15 years and the exact same words were being said on this forum about Incredible Hulk #181.

In 2006 (32 years after the IH 181 came out), the value of a "NM" copy (so let's call it a 9.4) was $1,350. Now, 32 years after ASM 300 came out, 9.4 ASM 300s are approaching sales of $800. That same 9.4 IH today looks like it's sitting around $9,0000. I know scarcity and census and all of that has been talked to death, but there are also interesting parallels between these books (full introduction if a massively popular character for example), plus 300 has the extra distinction of an anniversary issue and one of the comic "game changing" artists (like him or not). I know people think this is a bubble, but I know I'd also have hated to miss out getting in on this book like I missed out getting in on IH 181...

I really like doing the same analysis... "when X was this age, the price was $Y... now it's $Z"  - very straight-forward, and as long as the books have similarities, there's a strong logic in thinking that way.

I remember the Overstreet Monthly magazine back in 1993 had the headline that Amazing Fantasy #15 sold for $40K (presumably about a 9.4).  It was 31 years old at the time.  CGC 9.4 AF #15 right now is close to $800,000.  There are 100 times more copies of ASM #300 in CGC 9.8, but $800,000 divided by 100 is $8,000.  CGC 9.8 ASM #300 will definitely be $8,0000 (someday) before it's $800 again (which won't happen).

Edited by valiantman

30 minutes ago, Crushingame said:

I’m buying a 9.6 tomorrow from a local guy for $1000 cash. 

I’m going to hold. Not sure what others plan on doing. 

Mine's just a lowly 8.5, but I bought to hold long-term. I paid $380 on Sept. 16 when it was on GoCollect at an FMV of $350, and since then GoCollect upped the FMV to $425, and it's been selling above that both before and after anyway. One exception on 9/28 - I saw that book listed at $100 starting bid, then it was taken down, and then it was sold at a $300 BIN, so someone obviously contacted the seller and got a deal. It's an old, red-label CGC and it was the only comic the seller had listed, so it was kind of an anomaly.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

32 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Based upon some upcoming ebay auction closings, it would appear as though $13.5K +/- $25 will be the new normal for a CGC 9.6 this week, and moving into next week.  Glad to see the book is finally starting to pick up steam in this grade.

I'm assuming you meant $1.35K +/- $25? :foryou:

On 9/30/2020 at 11:45 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

9.6 sold here on the boards in the Copper Age sales forum today for $1,500:

Look at that, a newsstand copy.

Edited by thedude

On 9/30/2020 at 7:37 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

I guess I can see the sense in that, but I'd be more behind it if it was a CGC 9.8 and it seemed like the seller was reacting to the rapidly changing market on this book. I think people will see grabbing this specific book as a bit of a risk though, since CGC is the current "gold standard" when it comes to buying and selling graded comic collectibles. If someone wanted to change the book out to a CGC-graded book to potentially protect their investment, that's a fair amount of risk to take if the book were to come back a 9.6 or even a 9.4.

You forgot the other possibility that it might just come back as a CGC 9.9 graded copy.  :gossip:  lol

On 9/30/2020 at 8:18 AM, valiantman said:

Well, I said "if you saw a book" - not specifically ASM 300 - but if there were only 2 of some book available and one was $5K and the other was $3,250, "something" is weird.

Well, I would do what I did this and check the CGC census to find out that there is already well over 1,300 copies of this book in CGC 9.8 graded condition along with another 10 copies in CGC 9.9 graded condition and you are certainly correct, something is most definitely weird here.  lol

44 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I would do what I did this and check the CGC census to find out that there is already well over 1,300 copies of this book in CGC 9.8 graded condition along with another 10 copies in CGC 9.9 graded condition and you are certainly correct, something is most definitely weird here.  lol

And I would say to that: where are they?  Haven't seen a 9.9 in a loooong time.  and by the way, why are there so few 9.9's of this book, given the number of submissions? (shrug)

I'd love the opportunity to own a 9.9

1 hour ago, Crushingame said:

So I followed through on the local guy selling this copy at $1000 even. 

He even threw in a free statue :)

47B3E5EC-FAC5-4F81-88DD-CAA70E9950CD.jpeg

EFF2FA54-40AC-48D6-AB15-5256F797EA22.jpeg

Sweet copy and no binary defect which is common with this book, what makes you think it got 9.6 and not 9.8? And would you ever consider a resubmit with press and regrade?

16 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Sweet copy and no binary defect which is common with this book, what makes you think it got 9.6 and not 9.8? And would you ever consider a resubmit with press and regrade?

Not sure what binary defect means lol.

I don’t think I’m that knowledgeable to know the slight differences keeping it from one grade to another. I did look it over and it’s really nice. I’ll look closer to see if I can see any flaws.

With that said I’m going to keep it as is for now I think.

2 hours ago, Crushingame said:

So I followed through on the local guy selling this copy at $1000 even. 

He even threw in a free statue :)

47B3E5EC-FAC5-4F81-88DD-CAA70E9950CD.jpeg

EFF2FA54-40AC-48D6-AB15-5256F797EA22.jpeg

That is an excellent looking copy. Great wrap and no protruding inner pages. In my opinion a solid candidate for crack,press,regrade. Free statue too. Score!