• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't remember estimating anything, but I did point out that the $4,500 for the newsstand 9.8 happened while the 9.8 direct went unsold for $2,700.

I'm not trying to be combative...my apologies if it appeared that way, maybe it's the excitement of having a 9.8.

But didn't two directs just sell for over $3500?

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:
17 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't remember estimating anything, but I did point out that the $4,500 for the newsstand 9.8 happened while the 9.8 direct went unsold for $2,700.

I'm not trying to be combative...my apologies if it appeared that way, maybe it's the excitement of having a 9.8.

But didn't two directs just sell for over $3500?

Yes - and the direct edition 9.8 will be a constant seller that we can track as often as we like.  The newsstand 9.8 will not show up very often, so it will be hard to know what the newsstand prices "should be" at any given time if the direct editions are fluctuating wildly and there hasn't been a newsstand sale in months.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Yes - and the direct edition 9.8 will be a constant seller that we can track as often as we like.  The newsstand 9.8 will not show up very often, so it will be hard to know what the newsstand prices "should be" at any given time if the direct editions are fluctuating wildly and there hasn't been a newsstand sale in months.

Do you think is fluctuating? (Direct) if it's only ascending does that term apply? And can you give an opinion on why people are paying $3500 for a book that 5 months ago sold for $2000?

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:
2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Do you think is fluctuating? (Direct) if it's only ascending does that term apply? And can you give an opinion on why people are paying $3500 for a book that 5 months ago sold for $2000?

Well, "fluctuating" does imply that it's going both up and down, and historically, 9.8 ASM 300 has fluctuated pretty wildly in any given 12 months.  At the moment, it's going up, but I don't think it can keep going up forever so I would guess we'll see some "down" before next April (since you mentioned 5 months ago).  Whether it comes back down to $3500 because it's going higher before it stops going up, or whether it comes back down to $2,000 because it's actually peaking now... we'll just have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Well, "fluctuating" does imply that it's going both up and down, and historically, 9.8 ASM 300 has fluctuated pretty wildly in any given 12 months.  At the moment, it's going up, but I don't think it can keep going up forever so I would guess we'll see some "down" before next April (since you mentioned 5 months ago).  Whether it comes back down to $3500 because it's going higher before it stops going up, or whether it comes back down to $2,000 because it's actually peaking now... we'll just have to wait and see.

I think the same can be said for UF 4...but yeah pretty excited it hit $3500 and you figure it's still going to go up past $3500?

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

One thing to keep in mind is that the asm 300 isn’t the only Copper age book that’s been on fire over the past 5 months...asm 252, Hulk 340 and Thor 337, among numerous others, have also increased by 60+% during this period

6 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

One thing to keep in mind is that the asm 300 isn’t the only Copper age book that’s been on fire over the past 5 months...asm 252, Hulk 340 and Thor 337, among numerous others, have also increased by 60+% during this period

It's true enough that does it almost make you feel like all of this will stick?

Not to derail the thread as I suppose some books will simmer back down, but

The ASM 300 thing with this thread seems like a good place to get a big picture.

I thought that prices fluctuated. But I've only been around a few years.

I guess what I mean is, with all the prices rising, is this just normal? But maybe with a different set of books? That maybe haven't moved in a while?

ASM seems a steady rise as of two months but is that enough to gauge?

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's true enough that does it almost make you feel like all of this will stick?

Not to derail the thread as I suppose some books will simmer back down, but

The ASM 300 thing with this thread seems like a good place to get a big picture.

I thought that prices fluctuated. But I've only been around a few years.

I guess what I mean is, with all the prices rising, is this just normal? But maybe with a different set of books? That maybe haven't moved in a while?

ASM seems a steady rise as of two months but is that enough to gauge?

The asm 300 rise has been consistent since February.  Back then, you could pick up a cgc 9.8 blue universal direct for 1800-1850 all day long.  Then it started to rise month after month until present.

perhaps it will slide downward before the next Venom movie, perhaps not.

one thing is certain... the comic stores here in Toronto don’t have one for sale presently, and in fact that’s been the case for a few months.  Likewise for the dealers that used to set up at the greater Toronto area comic shops.  For what it’s worth, the greater Toronto area represents over 6.5 million people.

so if there isn’t local supply here, I’m assuming likewise elsewhere, which means the books may become available in limited quantities from personal collections on eBay and other auction sites.

Case in point, there’s only 2 9.8’s on eBay right now, the cheapest being $4,495

3 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The asm 300 rise has been consistent since February.  Back then, you could pick up a cgc 9.8 blue universal direct for 1800-1850 all day long.  Then it started to rise month after month until present.

perhaps it will slide downward before the next Venom movie, perhaps not.

one thing is certain... the comic stores here in Toronto don’t have one for sale presently, and in fact that’s been the case for a few months.  Likewise for the dealers that used to set up at the greater Toronto area comic shops.  For what it’s worth, the greater Toronto area represents over 6.5 million people.

so if there isn’t local supply here, I’m assuming likewise elsewhere, which means the books may become available in limited quantities from personal collections on eBay and other auction sites.

Case in point, there’s only 2 9.8’s on eBay right now, the cheapest being $4,495

Very good, and thank you! I'm glad I asked  :)

7 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

The one question I do have though pertains to the volume of graded copies compared to other high-value keys like IH 181 - there are nearly double the amount of universal graded ASM 300 compared to IH 181 for example. Does that volume limit its ceiling for growth potential?

I would recommend checking out my ASM 300 thread as Valiantman explains it perfectly, I too feel the book is like IH 181 as it will continue to rise

21 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

The one question I do have though pertains to the volume of graded copies compared to other high-value keys like IH 181 - there are nearly double the amount of universal graded ASM 300 compared to IH 181 for example. Does that volume limit its ceiling for growth potential?

Nah, as long as there are others willing to purchase and hoard 40+ copies, the sky’s the limit on this book.  🤣

On 6/20/2020 at 10:15 AM, Kevin76 said:

your average comic fan would rather buy ASM 300 than a golden age book of the same price

I agree with this!  For instance, before spending some time here, if I saw any of those 'grail' "Tales to Astonish" or "Tomb of Dracula" books I would have assumed they were worthless old 'horror' comics, and bought the cool looking Spider-Man book sitting next tot them that I actually recognized :) 

Edited by StreetPreacher

On 9/14/2020 at 9:19 PM, Spidey 62 said:

Just made a deal on FB for a ASM 300 newsstand 8.0 white.  Happy to have it on the way.  I got my first copy, direct, in my pull list many years ago, for cover price.  This one was substantially more...about $335.

Congrats! I was just able to get this book too, at a price/grade I could afford - got an 8.5 white newsstand. I paid about 8.5% over GoCollect's current FMV listing - I generally hate paying much over FMV, but it seems like everyone is either holding these or looking for even higher percentage premiums than that. Also, it doesn't look like GoCollect differentiates between direct and newsstand. I know there are varying viewpoints on this, and I didn't go in looking for newsstand specifically (just a decent copy in my budget that wasn't a ridiculous percentage premium), but I felt satisfied with the grade/copy/page quality I got for the price, especially given its newsstand status.

Speaking of paying percentages over FMV, since I've been hunting pretty closely on the 'Bay and a few other places this week in order to try and get a copy that fit my budget at as high a possible grade and quality I could afford - without trying to overpay like crazy - I've noticed that some of the recent sales on this are nuts compared to what the current FMVs are listed at.

For example, on Sept. 16 alone:

• 3.0 OW/W newsstand sold for $169.95 - about 41% over GoCollect's currently stated FMV of $120 (that's with no comp sales in their sales history though)
  • 9.6 OW/W newsstand sold for a best offer price of $1,275 - 70% over GC's currently stated $750
  • 5.5 OW/W newsstand sold for a best offer price of $345 - about 57% over GC's currently stated $220
  • Even an 8.5 PLOD C-1 W newsstand sold for $370, which is still 5.5% above GC's FMV of $350 in a universal grade (this was on Sept. 15)

It may be just coincidence that these are all newsstands in the last day - direct editions this week have also sold pretty high above GC's stated FMVs too. 2 different 9.6 directs sold for $1,200 and $1,090 (current stated FMV of $750); a 7.5 direct sold for $350 (current stated FMV of $290); and two different 9.4 directs sold for $675 and $725 (current stated FMV of $425).