• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Two more absolutely crazy sales today - a 9.4 W Direct for $1,625 (5 bids) and a 9.6 W Direct for $1,700 (64 bids!)

Any thoughts? There is an ASM 300 ungraded up for bids on eBay right now. 09/27/2020. Starting bid is 550. These books have been selling for a lot more and yet  with less than 2 days left there is not a single bid on this book. There are 9 photos and the book looks great..

1 hour ago, Greatwhite said:

Any thoughts? There is an ASM 300 ungraded up for bids on eBay right now. 09/27/2020. Starting bid is 550. These books have been selling for a lot more and yet  with less than 2 days left there is not a single bid on this book. There are 9 photos and the book looks great..

I'm not sure, it's a good question - maybe people are trying to find "deals" on raws or are turned off by the high start bid that isn't a BIN? Or maybe there's just more interest in buying graded? Another 9.6 sold for a BIN of $1,150 (and that is starting to look like a steal at this point actually), and a 9.4 listed at a BIN of $1,500 or best offer sold for a best offer price of $1,400. There have been a few raw sales lately in the $800 range too though. If you still have a line on that 9.6 for $1k and you can afford it, you may want to think about getting in on it, just my 2c...

Edited by Jesse-Lee

17 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I'm not sure, it's a good question - maybe people are trying to find "deals" on raws or are turned off by the high start bid that isn't a BIN? Or maybe there's just more interest in buying graded? Another 9.6 sold for a BIN of $1,150 (and that is starting to look like a steal at this point actually), and a 9.4 listed at a BIN of $1,500 or best offer sold for a best offer price of $1,400. There have been a few raw sales lately in the $800 range too though. If you still have a line on that 9.6 for $1k and you can afford it, you may want to think about getting in on it, just my 2c...

BIN?

Any idea if an uber HG copy of a non-verified signed copy of Spidey 300 is worth much in today's marketplace?  hm

Just wondering since I am sure he must have signed tens of thousands of them with his silver pen back in the early 90's because I could still remember him sitting at his table signing virtually non-stop at all of the local cons.  (thumbsu

Or since it's unverified, is it better to slab it with the boys across the street instead?  (shrug)

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any idea if an uber HG copy of a non-verified signed copy of Spidey 300 is worth much in today's marketplace?  hm

Just wondering since I am sure he must have signed tens of thousands of them with his silver pen back in the early 90's because I could still remember him sitting at his table signing virtually non-stop at all of the local cons.  (thumbsu

Or since it's unverified, is it better to slab it with the boys across the street instead?  (shrug)

This is a really, really tough question.

if you want to keep the book, then I’d say keep it raw.  If you want to sell, I think you’d get more if you slabbed it with the other fellas

I searched eBay sold history and there is not a single bidding style auction for ASM 300 CGC 9.8.

There were however some incredible missed opportunity BINs - VERY recently I might add.

$2100

$2600

Meanwhile on CL with 24 hours remaining @ $3019  Any guesses to hammer on this one with 24 hours left?

Definitely pays to lurk on eBay given two snags above in the last few weeks. 

19 minutes ago, astrometric said:

I searched eBay sold history and there is not a single bidding style auction for ASM 300 CGC 9.8.

There were however some incredible missed opportunity BINs - VERY recently I might add.

$2100

$2600

Meanwhile on CL with 24 hours remaining @ $3019  Any guesses to hammer on this one with 24 hours left?

Definitely pays to lurk on eBay given two snags above in the last few weeks. 

Very true...those examples are definitely outliers.

ive been searching eBay 3-4 times a days to find BINS such as the ones you’ve pointed out.

Regarding the 9.8 on clink, it should go for $3.6K

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

It should be noted the one for $3250 is slabbed by CBCS, not CGC

Yeah, thanks - I said Voldy (meaning they who should not be named), but sometimes the shorthand doesn't translate well. If that one sells, it'll be interesting in the long run to see what the difference is between a CGC and non-CGC sale. Also watching to see what happens with that CGC $5,500 - I'm sure it'll be a best offer, but I wonder where? I couldn't afford a 9.8 (even the missed opportunities listed above), but as the new owner of an 8.5, I figure a rising tide lifts all ships, and this is actually really fun to watch and track!

8 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I'm proud to say I bought my 9.6 for $1.50! ^^

That would be really impressive if you got it slabbed for $1.50.  Paying cover price in 1988 is definitely a winner, too, but there are a bunch of other books from 1988 that aren't worth the original cover price today and I wonder how many of them you also bought. lol

14 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

It should be noted the one for $3250 is slabbed by CBCS, not CGC

That $5,500 CGC 9.8 W Direct sold for a best offer of $4,900 today... :o That's nearly double the current FMV of $2,600 on GoCollect.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

Not sure about CBCS. There was an ASM 300 9.8 graded by CBCS on eBay this last Spring. It was posted twice and did not receive a single bid. At the same time others were selling for close to 2000$ graded by this company. So if resale is your goal that is something to consider....

Edited by Greatwhite
grammar error

4 hours ago, Jesse-Lee said:

That $5,500 CGC 9.8 W Direct sold for a best offer of $4,900 today... :o That's nearly double the current FMV of $2,600 on GoCollect.

All I can say is that there must be a lot of very deep pocketed CGC label chasers who have a ton of money to burn.  :screwy:

:takeit:  The money that is..........:flipbait:  lol

10 hours ago, valiantman said:
19 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I'm proud to say I bought my 9.6 for $1.50! ^^

That would be really impressive if you got it slabbed for $1.50.  Paying cover price in 1988 is definitely a winner, too, but there are a bunch of other books from 1988 that aren't worth the original cover price today and I wonder how many of them you also bought. lol

Wow, was Spidey 300 really already at a cover price of a $1.50 by then?  :whatthe:

I am just glad that I picked up my copies at the cover price less the usual discount given by the LCS's at the time, plus McFarlance signed them for free at the time. :applause:

As for other books, are you really trying to tell me that I should take my Marvel's Team America and Marvel's Death's Head books back out from my safety deposit box at the bank?  :facepalm:  :cry:

Edited by lou_fine