• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2021 at 7:33 PM, MAR1979 said:

If it means a Bear Market eventually, as collector then yes I'm all for that as well!  I do realize that a Bear Market won't affect true keys and blue chip type books. It would mean no more Marvel random 1st appearance hot book de jour  due to TV tie-in or other random minutiae. 

Sadly though it would likely mean (or rather hasten) the demise of more comics shops.  As speculators exiting a hobby never leave a hobby in better shape than before they jumped in. Which was the 1990's reference in my last posting.

Thats a lot of speculation on your part, and I can't make a connection between random 1st appearance books being sold at inflated prices and comic book shops going out of business, as comic book shops are staying in business selling new releases as the majority of their income, but again, I am okay with all of that. 

If you havent spent the last 2-3 years (or 8-10 years) chasing down the good stuff to stash away, at this point, I wouldnt start.  And if anyone wants to start, I'll be the first to sell those books to them.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:07 AM, bluehorseshoe said:

Thats a lot of speculation on your part, and I can't make a connection between random 1st appearance books being sold at inflated prices and comic book shops going out of business, as comic book shops are staying in business selling new releases as the majority of their income, but again, I am okay with all of that. 

If you havent spent the last 2-3 years (or 8-10 years) chasing down the good stuff to stash away, at this point, I wouldnt start.  And if anyone wants to start, I'll be the first to sell those books to them.

yes, buy low - sell high :)

As for "connection between random 1st appearance books being sold at inflated prices and comic book shops going out of business" . Will a bust occur is not the question, when is... I saw this in the 1990's with comics and it never recovered. Many of those those who get burned buying high and selling lower will enact a scorched earth policy towards comics in general, using social media it will spread. Attrition in new buyers to replace the ones leaving hobby accelerates, which of course is the trend over thee past 4 decades anyhow.  In effect the bigger the boom the bigger the bust.  New sales continues to drop, as that progresses, so too will amount of comic shops due to loss their life blood. 

A buddy of mine chose not to renew the lease on his Shop and sell entirely back issues and ancillary stock on-line now. Storage rental is less than Commercial real estate rental. His gross is lower but his net is higher! AND workload by his estimate is half.  It works in his case as he was looking to semi-retire anyhow. Still working smarter not harder is the way to make real bucks, easier said than done of course..

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/29/2021 at 12:09 PM, MAR1979 said:

A buddy of mine chose not to renew the lease on his Shop and sell entirely back issues and ancillary stock on-line now. Storage rental is less than Commercial real estate rental. His gross is lower but his net is higher! AND workload by his estimate is half.  It works in his case as he was looking to semi-retire anyhow. Still working smarter not harder is the way to make real bucks, easier said than done of course..

I have a buddy who did just that... owned an LCS for 30 years but took a hit during Covid lockdowns .... and the landlord insisted on a year's lease renewal , even though the threat of shutdown still loomed... He packed it in. House is paid for, inventory in the spare room, etc. I do miss him though, he would get collections and sell off what his customers wanted and then sell short boxes of the rest to guys like me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 10/12/2021 at 7:34 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Plenty of 9.8s coming up on the 1/7/22 C-Link site hm which to choose.

this thread is loosing it’s heat :flamed:

After reaching its peak at 8.5K for 9.8 blue, the book bottomed out around $5.5K and has steadily been on the rise to present day sales between $6.5-$7K.

the 9.8’s on clink will be interesting to note any strain on current upwards momentum.

On 10/14/2021 at 1:25 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

After reaching its peak at 8.5K for 9.8 blue, the book bottomed out around $5.5K and has steadily been on the rise to present day sales between $6.5-$7K.

the 9.8’s on clink will be interesting to note any strain on current upwards momentum.

Good to note the census increases as well. Seems to me each month many more ASM's 300's in high-grade are shoveled into the hobby. Won't take much of dip in demand to have that continuous never ending flow dilute the books value.  There won't be another Venom movie this January to stabilize value, I'd expect a drop.  Although the famous quote from John Maynard Keynes regarding irrational applies.

P.S. of course it's pretty much been a hot book for 34 years, however there are different degrees of hot.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/14/2021 at 11:48 AM, valiantman said:

It has been a while since I updated the Direct vs. Newsstand comparison... here's the most recent 12 months on GPA.

asm300ns2021.png.077927c58f26d8b1c753e556a2ba32f5.png

Hi,

I'd really like to see the same chart for Thor 337. Please and thank u.   It's off-topic here but at NYCC and on eBay i see more 9.8 newsstands than direct sales. Likely for reasons we all know.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:16 AM, MAR1979 said:

Hi,

I'd really like to see the same chart for Thor 337. Please and thank u.   It's off-topic here but at NYCC and on eBay i see more 9.8 newsstands than direct sales. Likely for reasons we all know.

Thor #337 isn't being tracked as direct edition and newsstand by @gpanalysis - currently, it's Direct and Newsstand together, with a separate entry for Canadian.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:25 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Heritage sale slumped on it's most recent lot for ole 300 :tonofbricks:

image.thumb.png.2f07ea3024b6bd4173fc3b9cf0b6d6c0.png

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 10/17/2021 at 8:56 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

This one on C-Link as well, I know it is OW/W, but a major dip as well @Wolverinex

image.thumb.png.c3cabd3192c5615cd46325c2390638ec.png

On 10/17/2021 at 9:19 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I noticed that, this was a few days ago

image.png.c21ee83d6d037a54b142feeb0397979f.png

image.thumb.png.3e1c5fd4500fc7e686453e1f146ec35f.png

A score for that C-Link and Heritage buyer.

Standard Deviation or portent that supply and demand is taking hold?

On 10/17/2021 at 1:58 PM, MAR1979 said:

Standard Deviation or portent that supply and demand is taking hold?

Looks like you're working with the darker red variety ... personally I prefer those, but they often have a ragged reading edge from a poor trim job at the factory... production related. Many people are turned off by 9.8's that have that defect. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu