• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2021 at 5:34 PM, lou_fine said:

Not necessary and more like congrats if the seller had paid only cover price less the usual discount for the book at the time it first came out. :banana: 

Especially if they were like most other collectors at the time of the book's release, and picking up mulitple copies of the book.  :takeit:

Thanks for posting!  I had a huge laugh when I read your comment because at the end of the day, regardless of what the seller of the $4.8K copy originally paid when he purchased it, it sold for at least $1.2K less than similarly graded copies within the same week, and in a venue that charges more consignment fees than the other venues.

So I don’t think congrats are in order.

if this was your book, and it sold for at least 20% less than the average, would you be happy?

On 12/4/2021 at 12:42 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Thanks for posting!  I had a huge laugh when I read your comment because at the end of the day, regardless of what the seller of the $4.8K copy originally paid when he purchased it, it sold for at least $1.2K less than similarly graded copies within the same week, and in a venue that charges more consignment fees than the other venues.

So I don’t think congrats are in order.

if this was your book, and it sold for at least 20% less than the average, would you be happy?

Is the buyer at $8500 happy?

Welcome to the age of encapsulation 

On 12/3/2021 at 2:34 PM, lou_fine said:

Not necessary and more like congrats if the seller had paid only cover price less the usual discount for the book at the time it first came out. :banana: 

Especially if they were like most other collectors at the time of the book's release, and picking up mulitple copies of the book.  :takeit:

On 12/4/2021 at 9:42 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

To tell you the honest truth, I would already be totally pissed off and upset well before I even got anywhere close to the final price realized stage. :gossip:

From talking to other fellow collectors, I just can't see myself forking over something like 3 figures to get any of my copies squashed and graded for a book that I paid less than cover price for.  Unfortunately, this egregious over the board cost sounds like a necessary evil if you want to get what the book is really worth in today's slab crazed marketplace.  :(

And to top it off, what makes it even worse is the money hungry CGC that won't even recognize my copy with the beautiful classic mettalic silver penned signature that McFarlane used to signed all of his copies of Spidey 300 with, just because they aren't able to squeeze an extra dime out of it.  :mad:  :censored:

Well okay, at least until it actually comes time for me to sell a couple of my copies.  (thumbsu  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/4/2021 at 2:21 PM, lou_fine said:

To tell you the honest truth, I would already be totally pissed off and upset well before I even got anywhere close to the final price realized stage. :gossip:

From talking to other fellow collectors, I just can't see myself forking over something like 3 figures to get any of my copies squashed and graded for a book that I paid less than a buck for.  Unfortunately, this egregious over the board cost sounds like a necessary evil if you want to get what the book is really worth in today's slab crazed marketplace.  :(

And to top it off, what makes it even worse is the money hungry CGC that won't even recognize my copy with the beautiful classic mettalic silver penned signature that McFarlane used to signed all of his copies of Spidey 300 with, just because they aren't able to squeeze an extra dime out of it.  :mad:  :censored:

A lot to unpack here....hm

If I’m understanding correctly, you’re pissed that you have to add additional investment money to the ASM 300s
( you paid less than a $1 for) in order to get maximum return, and further upset that CGC will give your unwitnessed Todd signed copies a green label?

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 12/4/2021 at 3:02 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

For $8,500 I would rather have an Iron Man 55, ASM 121 or 122, X-Men 101, etc. over this book any day.

May I ask why?  Not arguing against your choice.  Just curious as to why you would rather have those books instead of ASM 300.  Cause they're older?  Better investment?  Better story?

***I agree with IM 55...that book is just fantastic with the art and first appearances

On 12/4/2021 at 7:18 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

May I ask why?  Not arguing against your choice.  Just curious as to why you would rather have those books instead of ASM 300.  Cause they're older?  Better investment?  Better story?

***I agree with IM 55...that book is just fantastic with the art and first appearances

No worries. Lower census numbers plays a big part in my decision with a high dollar book. 300 will never be rare, and the cover has been done to death as a homage. I am stuck in the Bronze Age for some reason  lol

IM 55 has a lot of potential. Even with the up and down of the market.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:58 PM, lou_fine said:

Yeah, is this going to be the big cool down from the $15K or so another CGC 9.8 graded copy had sold for earlier or was it the other $25K sale or thereabouts that a signed copy had sold for?  :devil:

Lou, you’re thinking about the 9.8 newsstand copy.  The example shown here is a 9.8 direct.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:56 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Last CLink 9.8 $5,100

I think last Ebay was only a little more than that

On 12/14/2021 at 11:09 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

A new record? (shrug)

CED08666-C500-43FC-9F04-4BA00C92AC42.jpeg

So this is ???