• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 heating up
8 8

1,679 posts in this topic

Went to HerosCon this weekend and I was amazed for two reasons:

1. The sheer number of raw copies available at the show was just incredible, with 37 copies available

2.  The prices were equally mind-blowing with many examples of dealers asking slabbed 9.4 prices for raw 9.2s

Sure, there was a bit of wiggle room when I showed interest in the book, but not enough for me to pull the trigger.  I did see a few slabbed 9.8's.  One was a 9.4 in a 9.8 slab and the dealer wanted $5K.  The other was a true 9.8 with a price tag of $6.5K.

After much hemming and hawing, I decided to spend my money on original comic art.

this is the 1st convention I attended since the start of covid and I'd like to know if others have had a similar experience?

On 6/28/2022 at 5:39 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

1. The sheer number of raw copies available at the show was just incredible, with 37 copies available

2.  The prices were equally mind-blowing with many examples of dealers asking slabbed 9.4 prices for raw 9.2s

Sure, there was a bit of wiggle room when I showed interest in the book, but not enough for me to pull the trigger.  I did see a few slabbed 9.8's.  One was a 9.4 in a 9.8 slab and the dealer wanted $5K.  The other was a true 9.8 with a price tag of $6.5K.

After much hemming and hawing, I decided to spend my money on original comic art.

this is the 1st convention I attended since the start of covid and I'd like to know if others have had a similar experience?

I haven't noticed any slabs that were misgraded that badly, I do tend to trust without too much thought on slabs though and I guess I shouldn't (thumbsu :) Mine definitely wouldnt be as pricey either lol and not all 9.8 either.

I check when i buy just no fine toothed comb etc

Interesting that the dealer thought it was over graded and priced accordingly, that in fact I definitely have not noticed, but good for them!

Here is my last con thread if it interests you?

There are pics of wall books, but not a lot of pics of what we bought. I put mine in this week in collection. There are readable prices and I gave my list of slabs and what I paid.

More to the point, not a lot of ASM 300 talk, so i might have missed your point lol

On 6/28/2022 at 5:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 6/28/2022 at 5:39 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I haven't noticed any slabs that were misgraded that badly, I do tend to trust without too much thought on slabs though and I guess I shouldn't (thumbsu :) Mine definitely wouldnt be as pricey either lol and not all 9.8 either.

I check when i buy just no fine toothed comb etc

Interesting that the dealer thought it was over graded and priced accordingly, that in fact I definitely have not noticed, but good for them!

Here is my last con thread if it interests you?

There are pics of wall books, but not a lot of pics of what we bought. I put mine in this week in collection. There are readable prices and I gave my list of slabs and what I paid.

More to the point, not a lot of ASM 300 talk, so i might have missed your point lol

Here is a new one today :foryou::cheers:

On 6/28/2022 at 3:39 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

even before the pandemic, most dealers had a 'convention premium' on the slabbed keys. it's rarely been possible to get good prices on those at big cons in my experience. and now, when prices have come down from recent gpa highs, is a tough time, because the vast majority of sellers are still asking 2021 prices. i don't know how these dealers are doing at shows like heroes, but the buying/selling threads here on the boards are dead because of this, combined with lower demand.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:40 AM, alexgross.com said:

even before the pandemic, most dealers had a 'convention premium' on the slabbed keys. it's rarely been possible to get good prices on those at big cons in my experience. and now, when prices have come down from recent gpa highs, is a tough time, because the vast majority of sellers are still asking 2021 prices. i don't know how these dealers are doing at shows like heroes, but the buying/selling threads here on the boards are dead because of this, combined with lower demand.

Unfortunately, I have also noticed many dealers asking, as you wrote, "2021 prices." From what I have seen, some collectors feel comfortable paying those prices, including for filler issues, at least based on the sales that I have loosely tracked. I do not and, thankfully, have all the keys I want. At this point, I am primarily purchasing upgrades of Batman issues at prices that I feel fine paying since these are for my very long term collection.

HeroesCon (yes, there is an 'e' in there, folks) is my hometown show and is always a good one because, as someone mentioned above, it is always very comic book and artist focused.  Kudos to Shelton Drum and team for having such a great show that stays true to the hobby and to have done it for so long. 

That said, you are never going to find a deal on slabbed keys at this show.  They are always overpriced and nearly none of the "dealer" will deal on those books.  I really think most just display them to draw people in to sell run-fillers and non-mega key books.   Best chance to find decent prices on keys, in my experience, has been smaller local shows.  Heroes has a mini-con about 6 months off from HeroesCon and there is another quarterly local show in my area and a lot of my good slabbed books have come from these rather than big conventions.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:39 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The following post applies to Direct Sales ASM300 not the newsstand version.

9.6 Direct Sales now sinking, testing a downwards breach of $1300.  It had been near 2K for a long time.  I'd not be surprised if we see sub $1.1k on Direct Sales 9.6's and sub 4k 9.8's by end of this year. As supply continues to increase and demand continues to drop those who purchased 9.0's, 9.2's and 9.4's at market high's will be taking large ROI losses.  Buying a book when red hot is seldom the most effective fiscal route.

Unlike flash in the pan books ASM300 will always have some interest and will become hot again, but when accounting for inflation and lack of a future "Covid bubble" in our lifetimes the book may not approach it's inflation adjusted 2021 salad days.

image.thumb.png.8baf2c05f8ec9728fd848f064ec1da17.png

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/4/2022 at 12:12 PM, MAR1979 said:

The following post applies to Direct Sales ASM300 not the newsstand version.

9.6 Direct Sales now sinking, testing a downwards breach of $1300.  It had been near 2K for a long time.  I'd not be surprised if we see sub $1.1k on Direct Sales 9.6's and sub 4k 9.8's by end of this year. As supply continues to increase and demand continues to drop those who purchased 9.0's, 9.2's and 9.4's at market high's will be taking large ROI losses.  Buying a book when red hot is seldom the most effective fiscal route.

Unlike flash in the pan books ASM300 will always have some interest and will become hot again, but when accounting for inflation and lack of a future "Covid bubble" in our lifetimes the book may not approach it's inflation adjusted 2021 salad days.

image.thumb.png.8baf2c05f8ec9728fd848f064ec1da17.png

Bruh, you been on vacation for six months?

’cause that’s how long it’s been since this book has averaged anywhere near $2K.

been averaging $1.5K for several months and it’s already slipping below that amount.

On 7/4/2022 at 1:17 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Bruh, you been on vacation for six months?

’cause that’s how long it’s been since this book has averaged anywhere near $2K.

been averaging $1.5K for several months and it’s already slipping below that amount.

OK, so then sinking like a stone very much in progress.  Any spit-ball guesses on an approximate floor for 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 Direct Sale copies?

ASM300 will always have demand which will insulate it from a collapse other books may experience, but those who paid anywhere market highs for grades below 9.6 are already or soon will be learning a life lesson on purchasing extremely high CGC population comics when they are are hot.  Still it can be money well spent if the lesson is applied to future hot books. I learned that lesson with a few books in my youth circa 1993 a lesson that in part led me to start with Original Art in the late 1990's. So regardless of the ROI loss on a few comics, for the education it was money well spent.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/4/2022 at 2:16 PM, MAR1979 said:

OK, so then sinking like a stone very much in progress.  Any spit-ball guesses on an approximate floor for 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8 Direct Sale copies?

ASM300 will always have demand which will insulate it from a collapse other books may experience, but those who paid anywhere market highs for grades below 9.6 are already or soon will be learning a life lesson on purchasing extremely high CGC population comics when they are are hot.  Still it can be money well spent if the lesson is applied to future hot books. I learned that lesson with a few books in my youth circa 1993 a lesson in part led me to start with Original Art in the late 1990's so i say regardless of the ROI loss on a few comics, for the education it was money well spent.

I would love them to hit early to mid 2019 prices again...post first movie, but pre COVID / second movie / MCU rumors / Spider-Man 2 PS5 trailer 
As I track my personal collection month-to-month, February 2019 had the lowest price in recent memory for a 9.6 SS McFarlane at $930.

On 7/4/2022 at 11:35 PM, Troy Division said:

I would love them to hit early to mid 2019 prices again...post first movie, but pre COVID / second movie / MCU rumors / Spider-Man 2 PS5 trailer 
As I track my personal collection month-to-month, February 2019 had the lowest price in recent memory for a 9.6 SS McFarlane at $930.

It may very occur this year with direct sales 9.4's and even more likley with lower grades . Although I'd expect prices on some of those grades to rebound a bit after they crater.  After all ASM300 is no Destroyer Duck 1 :)  

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/28/2022 at 6:39 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

37 seems pretty low for one of the biggest conventions all year. It's a wall book that will always draw people in. There are almost 30,000 CGC graded and I saw at least one dealer with multiple on their wall.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:10 PM, ygogolak said:

37 seems pretty low for one of the biggest conventions all year. It's a wall book that will always draw people in. There are almost 30,000 CGC graded and I saw at least one dealer with multiple on their wall.

I hear you, but that's just the number of raw copies available.  There was at least a few dozen slabbed copies, too.

To add my 2 cents to this thread - When I started collecting, Amazing Spidey #300 was a holy grail among me and my friends. I never thought I'd own one until I got a job in high school and saved the extra dollars. Come 1995 and the comic bust was just starting, I snagged my copy in what I thought was extremely NM+ for $100. I was pretty giddy about finally owning it.  I eventually got it graded and I can now say I own a 9.6.  So I never felt worried about the price of this one particular issue because I always knew it was a keeper and even bought a few extra at discounted prices during the late 90s and early 00s.  However, the prices it fetches today are mind-boggling. But yeah, great comic.

On 7/5/2022 at 9:27 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I have more faith in UF4 hitting $10K than ASM300.  Not saying it will happen...just saying if I had to make a bet on one or the other.

***Add UXM 129 to that race

I didn't realize it was an either-or but yeah, UF4 is a MONSTER. I knew it was going to be when it first came out and I bought a 9.8 copy at $150ish dollars online. It was obvious to anyone paying attention what was going to happen.  My only regret is not buying the variant.

On 7/17/2022 at 4:35 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

@jjonahjameson11 Well Well Well, this is back on Heritage along with another newsstand copy.

What did it sell for a while back $16K?

image.thumb.png.7b45ba5d2cc601010df94d5e3b5f7d6d.png

Wonder if it is the same owner

image.thumb.png.d5483c2b780ff08874a5d5747ca56464.png

Wow, where/when did it sell for $16k?  GPA doesn't have any sales above the $9200 GPA high for a Direct Edition on Dec 15 2021  Everything since has been $6300 or lower. What are the private sales going for on newsstands? last recorded newsstand was only $4500. Last 9.9 went for less than the current newsstand 9.8.  Newsstands distribution numbers weren't that much less than their direct counterparts in 1988. even with the damages they may have sustained on the rack I guess a couple of competing bidders really want these 2 copies.

image.thumb.png.4bf0cc2ccda9baa7bfb50baa651b87c8.png

On 7/17/2022 at 4:35 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

@jjonahjameson11 Well Well Well, this is back on Heritage along with another newsstand copy.

What did it sell for a while back $16K?

image.thumb.png.7b45ba5d2cc601010df94d5e3b5f7d6d.png

Wonder if it is the same owner

image.thumb.png.d5483c2b780ff08874a5d5747ca56464.png

I don’t recall what it went for, but it must have sold on clink as I can’t find any sales data on it.  I really like this tri-signed copy, but I’m presently pursuing other things, and I’ve never been one to chase after newsstand editions.  However, an asm 238 CPV in 9.8 is a different story, and I would definitely chase that book.

On 7/18/2022 at 3:43 PM, justafan said:

Wow, where/when did it sell for $16k?  GPA doesn't have any sales above the $9200 GPA high for a Direct Edition on Dec 15 2021  Everything since has been $6300 or lower. What are the private sales going for on newsstands? last recorded newsstand was only $4500. Last 9.9 went for less than the current newsstand 9.8.  Newsstands distribution numbers weren't that much less than their direct counterparts in 1988. even with the damages they may have sustained on the rack I guess a couple of competing bidders really want these 2 copies.

image.thumb.png.4bf0cc2ccda9baa7bfb50baa651b87c8.png

I need to look back in this post, or the other ASM 300 one. I remember we talked about the "We are Venom" NS SS copy listing for 19 or 20K, then the seller accepted the offer for 16K? It was an eBay sell, sorry not Heritage. @jjonahjameson11 

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 11/29/2020 at 2:41 PM, astrometric said:

Thanks to @valiantman

Confirmed - best offer accepted for $15K

binPriceOnly":"20,000.00","taxExclusivePrice":"15,000.00

5D7E0A10-8B14-47DA-AA2C-7302CB9742EF.jpeg

@jjonahjameson11 Found it from Nov. 2020

@valiantman Can you confirm if this is the one above listed on Heritage? Not sure what the cert number was.

@justafan

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW