• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Bronze Age Keys?
2 2

24 posts in this topic

There have been many lists of Marvel Bronze Age keys and a consensus seems to have been reached almost, but I cannot find any good list of the DC Bronze Age keys. Most people just throw the Kirby books and Adams Batman into a list of Marvel titles and call it a day- looking for something a bit more comprehensive.

8 minutes ago, brentdevil said:

I did see that. Anything more recent, or anyone have any thoughts?

Marvel dominates the silver and bronze age. Not sure if anything exciting emerged in last 17 years. If anything some of their books are less collectible. I will look at the list see what I can add.

I always though bronze age went to 1984, ebay still uses 1983 so you can add some by doing this dc 26 teen titans 1 and 2 come to mind. But for 1970s I got nothing. 

Edited by Myowncollector
Add more

4 hours ago, brentdevil said:

There have been many lists of Marvel Bronze Age keys and a consensus seems to have been reached almost, but I cannot find any good list of the DC Bronze Age keys. Most people just throw the Kirby books and Adams Batman into a list of Marvel titles and call it a day- looking for something a bit more comprehensive.

Kirby and Batman likely account for over a dozen “keys” from that era.  GL another few. Without including Wonder Woman, war, romance, Bats or Kirby here’s a starter list:

1. Omega Men 3
  2. Firestorm 1
  3. Shazam 1
  4. All-Star 58
  5. Jonah Hex 1
  6. All Star Western 10
  7. Lois Lane 106
  8. DC Comics Presents 1
  9. Joker 1 ?
  10. Superman 317(Adams cover)
  11. Tarzan 207
  12. House Of Secrets 92

7 hours ago, brentdevil said:

I did see that. Anything more recent, or anyone have any thoughts?

If you PM me, I can send you a list that is a speculator’s dream. I have to check my inventory first.

Def. the Batman keys.

Denny O'Neil (along w/ Neal Adams - but mostly O'Neil) single-handedly brought the DC heroes into the Bronze Age. Including:

• Batman (Detective 395)
  • Robin (Batman 217)
  • Superman (Superman 233)
  • Wonder Woman (Wonder Woman 178)
  • Joker (Batman 251)
  • Green Arrow (Brave & Bold 85)
  • Green Lantern (Green Lantern 76)
  • John Stewart (Green Lantern 87)
  • Two-Face (Batman 234)
  • Ra's Al-Ghul (Batman 232)

Separately, you've got a few non-O'Neil books that are more minor keys -- the second appearances of Deadshot (Detective 474) and Black Adam (Shazam 28).

On 6/16/2020 at 10:22 PM, steveinthecity said:

Kirby and Batman likely account for over a dozen “keys” from that era.  GL another few. Without including Wonder Woman, war, romance, Bats or Kirby here’s a starter list:

Any GL and WW Crimebuster and the others didn't already list?

I had thoughts on 1st Guy Gardner, and WW 199 seems to be the first Human Target.

1 hour ago, brentdevil said:

Any GL and WW Crimebuster and the others didn't already list?

I had thoughts on 1st Guy Gardner, and WW 199 seems to be the first Human Target.

He’s got GL 76, 85, 86, 87 which are arguably the most important, and for WW I’d include 196(bondage cover) and 205(classic cover).  Admittedly, I have a strong bias towards any of the WW from 178 through 222(last 25 cent issue, end of “12 labors” storyline. I just think that entire 7+ year period for that title is pretty cool.  

On 6/17/2020 at 3:28 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Def. the Batman keys.

Denny O'Neil (along w/ Neal Adams - but mostly O'Neil) single-handedly brought the DC heroes into the Bronze Age. Including:

• Batman (Detective 395)
  • Robin (Batman 217)
  • Superman (Superman 233)
  • Wonder Woman (Wonder Woman 178)
  • Joker (Batman 251)
  • Green Arrow (Brave & Bold 85)
  • Green Lantern (Green Lantern 76)
  • John Stewart (Green Lantern 87)
  • Two-Face (Batman 234)
  • Ra's Al-Ghul (Batman 232)

Separately, you've got a few non-O'Neil books that are more minor keys -- the second appearances of Deadshot (Detective 474) and Black Adam (Shazam 28).

Once there's news on the Black Adam movie Shazam 28 is going to become a MAJOR DC bronze key IMO.

14 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

Once there's news on the Black Adam movie Shazam 28 is going to become a MAJOR DC bronze key IMO.

Maybe - still not his first appearance, tho.

And the movie was announced *years ago.* There was an additional casting announcement made last week It's not like this isn't a known thing.

On 7/19/2020 at 1:45 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Maybe - still not his first appearance, tho.

And the movie was announced *years ago.* There was an additional casting announcement made last week It's not like this isn't a known thing.

You're not incorrect, but 1 appearance 30 years prior is a bit different from most character arcs. The Rock is attached to it. It'll pop just like everything else.