• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are superhero Funko Pops the Beanie Babies of our generation?
4 4

149 posts in this topic

I dont think they can last really when the vast majority keeps them in their boxes and is viewed as an investment or something to be well taken care of. This leads to the supply just getting bigger and bigger imo. 

The objects that the majority took out of the box and used and enjoyed are the items that seem to develop into the real collectible wave.

Anyone taken a look at the early super soakers that are still in the box. collectors are hunting them out like crazy but its an item I imagine was almost always taken out of the box and used for enjoyment.

17 minutes ago, Rezin1234 said:

I dont think they can last really when the vast majority keeps them in their boxes and is viewed as an investment or something to be well taken care of. This leads to the supply just getting bigger and bigger imo. 

The objects that the majority took out of the box and used and enjoyed are the items that seem to develop into the real collectible wave.

Anyone taken a look at the early super soakers that are still in the box. collectors are hunting them out like crazy but its an item I imagine was almost always taken out of the box and used for enjoyment.

Super soakers are collectible?! Wow...well I certainly used the heck outta mine...

I have a customer who makes custom DIY Pops (Funko sells "blank" ones you can detail yourself). I commissioned him to make a Greggy Pop, but it's proven incredibly hard to get the short shorts just right.

Even has the missing finger !  This one stays in the box since I like the box art as well with the younger Jerry at the top while the figure comes from the "omg-95'-Jerry-don't-look-so-well-era."

71PN+qIlmTL._AC_SL1233_.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

On 6/23/2020 at 8:02 PM, Rezin1234 said:

Those bastiches have taken SO much of my money and I'm still one of their most avid apologists:

It doesn't really work that way. I have pops that are still in the box that it was shipped in last year (2019) that are selling on feebay for $200+

Some of the older ones sell for that much...loose. This market is curently all over the place. I just started selling them in the past 6 mos and have learned some interesting lessons. Like, some of the exclusive video game-based pops that I thought would have staying power (Overwatch) rarely appreciate, while the Ernie and Bert pops that I bought on clearance in B&N are going for $30-40. And when everyone got their May Covid checks - people were willing to plunk down for BINs, like crazy. It is definitely a market with short-term legs. I don't want to still be selling five years from now. But then, I may not want to be holding the bag with comics 5-10 years from now either.

Edited by camera73
Misspellings

I bought a few of the Rocky Horror pops when I saw them a few years ago, I paid $10 or whatever each. I thought they were cute. Put them up on my Blu Ray shelf and didn't think much about them.

Yesterday I was moving them to dust, and I thought "Huh, wonder if these are worth anything now?"

After a quick eBay check, I listed them, and already made $100 on these two.

I don't want to be left holding the hot potato when the market eventually crashes, but in the meantime as long as I don't spend more than retail, I think they're cute, I pick one up here or there if it appeals to me, and usually I can sell them at a profit down the road once I decide I'd rather have the cash than another knick-knack.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Nice sale on the RHPS pops!

I attended the Saturday movies and had fun, but the pops didn't call to me when they were new. I wish that I had at least grabbed a Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

I just went through about 100 boxes, which I considered to be 'inventory.' It turns out that 75% were individual pops that I'd like to keep and display. I don't know how I'm going to break that news to my GF. Maybe she'll break up with me over that decision, therefore taking the need to get rid of more, off the table.

hm

This thread blew up quick... has anyone discussed how these are made from PVC and nonarchival?

My wife has several Funkos displayed in her office, incl a Sharknado that her students are always trying to buy.

A few of these, and other vinyl figures, the plastic begins to break down and they become tacky to the touch, as though the plastic releases liquid as it ages.  :frown:

9 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

This thread blew up quick... has anyone discussed how these are made from PVC and nonarchival?

My wife has several Funkos displayed in her office, incl a Sharknado that her students are always trying to buy.

A few of these, and other vinyl figures, the plastic begins to break down and they become tacky to the touch, as though the plastic releases liquid as it ages.  :frown:

Dang I didn't know that was an issue of off gassing or what not, I need to ask about one's that I've bought for others then lol

Sharknado wouldn't be too terribly old a figure to not have the latest material...

I've often wondered, as sideshow statues will have a warning or disclaimer that the material used has "cancer causing" materials haha

They make it sound serious to cover their rear, but I always was like, I'm not having a wolverine statue for dinner ha! 

Not sure the transference is what I mean, but 

Thanks for posting! ^^

Very interesting :tink:

9 hours ago, camera73 said:

Nice sale on the RHPS pops!

I attended the Saturday movies and had fun, but the pops didn't call to me when they were new. I wish that I had at least grabbed a Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

I just went through about 100 boxes, which I considered to be 'inventory.' It turns out that 75% were individual pops that I'd like to keep and display. I don't know how I'm going to break that news to my GF. Maybe she'll break up with me over that decision, therefore taking the need to get rid of more, off the table.

hm

RHPS was huge to me as a teenager. I liked going to the midnight shows, but more importantly I loved the show. I loved the movie, I loved the stage productions, I had all of the soundtracks, I was in the fan club, etc. Huge formative experience for me. I haven't kept up much with merchandise as I've gotten old, but I thought these things were pretty adorable when I saw them, so I scooped them up. But once I saw I could get some quick cash, off they went! Magenta hasn't sold yet, and Riff will probably be a tough sale as I somehow managed to lose the box on that one. Oh well. I enjoyed them while I had them, now they can go to a new home. We're all just leasing this stuff anyway, we don't get to take it with us. And there's always something new to buy!

I own none, I don’t get it. I sold off most unopened action figures from 90’s because I just don’t appreciate them like I do my comic books. They also take up too much space.

the only toys I buy now are the ones that come with a comic; I take the book and sell the toy.