• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Hardlee Thinn?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Second Blight said:

No story. Just variant covers aimed at men with money to blow....

Ok, thanks. I search to see what the story was about or see some pages and nothing....

Given how many covers they have someone must be buying them.  Help an action figure cover collector out and let me know the checklist of them.  (I know nothing about Hardlee Thinn outside of the mock Star Wars covers.

On 7/3/2020 at 12:50 AM, david20009 said:

Given how many covers they have someone must be buying them.  Help an action figure cover collector out and let me know the checklist of them.  (I know nothing about Hardlee Thinn outside of the mock Star Wars covers.

Yeah, I know nothing about it beyond the covers. I don't even know if it's an actual book with story, artwork inside or just blank pages....

There is a short story inside.  Since it was very short and had few words on each page I spent the 129 seconds it took to read it.  The story is not great.

Summary is Hardlee goes to “DC” comics only to find out her title has been canceled as readers only want to read about female characters who look anorexic and not voluptuous like Hardlee.  This causes her to become very mad and appear to go about killing off all of “DC”’s star female characters so she will be able to keep her title.  When confronted about her killing spree it turns out Hardlee didn’t kill them but rather took them to a buffet where the characters enjoy being able to eat food once again.  As they are no longer stick thin Hardlee gets her series back.

Not sure if this is the only story beneath each Hardlee Thinn cover or not.  As it appears they have been publishing the number #1 for years I hope not otherwise they should be 2nd to 50th prints.

All I want to know is how many action figure covers there are (and to acquire the ones I do not have for my action figure collection).

Edited by david20009
Me fix bad grammar

Honestly, if anything in the Modern Era suddenly stops being worth anything at all one day, I bet it'll be these Counterpoint Comics. Most of what they print (Do You Pooh?, Hardlee Thinn, and Tiggomverse in particular) are one-offs for which they have printed cover after variant cover. In the case of Hardlee and Pooh, I wouldn't be surprised if they were up to 100 cover variants each at this point. The stories are thin, and pointless. They exist only to fill the space between the front cover and the back. With regularity, they commission a new cover for one of their titles, then engineer a suite of sub-variants (normal, chrome/chromium, metal, crystal fleck), all limited to comically (pun intended) small prints runs, often as low as 25 copies, and all sold for $25-60 (or more!) apiece. Sometimes that's not enough and they have Artist Proof sub-sub-variants. Those are usually limited to 10 copies. GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST.

And... they pretty much all sell out.

It's like a caricature of the modern trend for limited print runs and variant covers, all rolled into one. But hey, I can't fault them for doing what works, I guess. I just can't imagine anyone caring about these a decade or two from now, even if retailer incentives and ratio covers for real comics manage to hold their value.

1 hour ago, Qalyar said:

Honestly, if anything in the Modern Era suddenly stops being worth anything at all one day, I bet it'll be these Counterpoint Comics. Most of what they print (Do You Pooh?, Hardlee Thinn, and Tiggomverse in particular) are one-offs for which they have printed cover after variant cover. In the case of Hardlee and Pooh, I wouldn't be surprised if they were up to 100 cover variants each at this point. The stories are thin, and pointless. They exist only to fill the space between the front cover and the back. With regularity, they commission a new cover for one of their titles, then engineer a suite of sub-variants (normal, chrome/chromium, metal, crystal fleck), all limited to comically (pun intended) small prints runs, often as low as 25 copies, and all sold for $25-60 (or more!) apiece. Sometimes that's not enough and they have Artist Proof sub-sub-variants. Those are usually limited to 10 copies. GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST.

It's like a caricature of the modern trend for limited print runs and variant covers, all rolled into one. But hey, I can't fault them for doing what works, I guess. I just can't imagine anyone caring about these a decade or two from now, even if retailer incentives and ratio covers for real comics manage to hold their value.

Yes, certainly seemed like something like that which was why I originally started the thread.... My first thought was it was just blank pages inside with a cover.... In actuality, that may have been more honest....

On 9/1/2020 at 3:54 PM, Qalyar said:

Rather than start a new topic, I actually used Google and found this one.  Weird how that works, right?

Anyway, @Qalyar summed it up perfectly because I thought there was no way that Counterpoint publishing could be as ridiculous as it looks, but no, yeah... it is.

I also realized "Counterpoint" is the perfect name for these comics.

POINT:  Comic buyers aren't going to be snake-oiled into spending money on the most ridiculous idea in the history of collectibles just because you limit a cover to 10 copies, use bathroom humor, and provide all the levels of fantasy nudity possible.  There's no way.

COUNTERPOINT:  Do you pooh?

But you know what, these might be big winners in the future.  Just think how much people hated Garbage Pail Kids in the 1980s.  They're bigger today than the Cabbage Patch Kids they made fun of.  (Yes, I know a preposition is something you should never end a sentence with.  That isn't what this is about.  Let's just move on.)  :shy:

That said, I don't want any Counterpoint books.  Imagine retiring early from Hardlee Thinn and Pooh books and when people ask how you made so much money, you either have to lie or tell them the truth.  Those are both sad outcomes.

Edited by valiantman

On 9/1/2020 at 3:54 PM, Qalyar said:

Well, with as limited as these print runs are you don't need a ton of interested buyers you just need a handful after that particular variant. If 75 people want that 10/10 variant in 20 years you're cooking with gas. Or maybe flint and sticks but you should be able to get your money back lol

The Pooh books I could see actually becoming something if the Pooh franchise ever has a successful run of films or cartoons that reference any of the parody material at all. There is a 100% chance that there are going to be multiple Pooh adaptions over the next ten years. Whether any pop or not is a tougher proposition. Hardlee Thinn I have a harder time with but a small audience of pervs can keep those back issues alive. Provided they don't move on to perving elsewhere as pervs are wont to do. Remember Dawn back in the late 90s? Think that was the perv approved book at the time. But then again Vampirella is what 50 or 60 years strong now? Who knows!

Edited by BoogieWoogie

5 hours ago, I like pie said:

Some of you guys are pretty hard on these. I only own three because I love me some Ebas. The Pooh books aren't my thing but they have a decent size, rabid fan base.

ht1 (1).jpg

ht1 (2).jpg

ht1 (3).jpg

That Counterpoint 2020 is spectacular...

17 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Remember Dawn back in the late 90s? Think that was the perv approved book at the time. But then again Vampirella is what 50 or 60 years strong now? Who knows!

I'm not even faulting Counterpoint for appealing to "pervs". They're hardly the first books with nude variants. Heck, speaking of Dawn, the Cry for Dawn 5 limited had a nude centerfold (and none of the covers to 5 were exactly subtle). But Vampirella at least had a long history as a legit horror mag. Dawn actually had a pretty good plot for awhile, too.

Plus, you know, those titles had new issues. Linsner had a limited cover or two apiece, but after that, you'd get the next book. Vampirella has eleventh bajillion different books. Counterpoint has a handful of books with what frankly amount to "excuse plots" and hundreds upon hundreds of cover variants. It seems different to me. Don't get me wrong, Counterpoint gets some talented artists. But you're pretty much just paying for numbered prints in comic book form, aren't you? There's no comic book there.

I assume some of these will keep value because of crossover appeal. The Star Wars action figure package covers aren't going down in value anytime soon because Star Wars prints money. And I don't doubt that people will always spend some amount of cash for tig ol' bitties on shiny foil paper. But go pull up the Registry set for Hardlee Thinn One-Shots. There's three pages of them so far, more on the request thread, and lots missed along the way. How are 90% of these going to hold any interest or value in 10 years?