• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about actor signature on GA comics
1 1

18 posts in this topic

So have a question about signatures on GA comics. 

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to having someone like say Chris Evans sign a golden age Captain America? Or say having Michael Keaton sign a golden age Batman Comics?

Or is just really a personal preference........

First off, if you own the books then you can do whatever you want with them. Your decisions shouldn't be made off of what other people think. I'm not recommending you do this, this is just what I do personally. If the movie or tv show is based off a comic book, then I just have the creators sign the books. If it's the movie/tv show adaptation or movie variant cover then I have the cast members sign them, but like I said they are your books so do what you want with them.

Ok, yeah I see there are different views. In my case, I have a CGC Captain America #77 already signed by Stan Lee and John Romita and having it signed in the future by Chris Evans as well, I figure that since it is already signed, adding Chris Evans shouldn't hurt, again, give it has already been signed.

The next is different, I have a CGC Batman Comics #10 that I have an opportunity to get signed by Michael Keaton end of this summer, so wondering if that would diminish the value or appeal.

For the record, I am looking both for appeal/bragging rights (75%) and future value (25%), but I am more of a collector and less of a seller, having only sold two GA comics in 5 years.  The rest I have mounted on my office wall and plan to pass on to my kids in the future and they may keep or sell, depending on their situation decades from now, who knows.

The kids have some signed comics, and they are all personalized, like a Captain Marvel #1 CGC 8.00 by Brie Larson with a personal inscription with my daughters name, as well as a SA Wonder Woman with Gal Gadot personal inscription with my daughters name.  My son has one for Marvel Avengers #3 Photo cover of Loki, again, CGC and personal inscription with his name from Tom Hiddleston and another from Benedict Wong with his name as well. Those ones are collection items for them, given their names being on it, not sure how they would fair in the market place.

Might want to stay close to the era. A Chris Evans/Keaton/Cavill/Gadot on a modern book may be more appropriate. A Stan Lee/Romita/Adam West/Shatner might make sense for a Bronze or a Silver. Considering that most GA book artists/writers are long gone, I'd leave them alone.

Some serious collectors may be more forgiving on sigs on 80s to modern books, but I think they become more "sig sensitive" as the books get older.

Edited by bobotski

1 hour ago, merlinflex said:

Ok, yeah I see there are different views. In my case, I have a CGC Captain America #77 already signed by Stan Lee and John Romita and having it signed in the future by Chris Evans as well, I figure that since it is already signed, adding Chris Evans shouldn't hurt, again, give it has already been signed.

The next is different, I have a CGC Batman Comics #10 that I have an opportunity to get signed by Michael Keaton end of this summer, so wondering if that would diminish the value or appeal.

First, I completely agree with "your property, your decision".

My personal opinion, Stan & John worked on that Cap 77 book, so that's authentic and appealing. And if you could have had Purcell who played Cap in the '50s serials sign it, that would also be very cool because of the shared time period. But as much as I love Evans' Cap portrayal, his sig on a GA book would just feel wrong. Same goes double for Keaton. Either would seriously diminish the appeal for me.

Edited by Chazgee

17 hours ago, Chazgee said:

First, I completely agree with "your property, your decision".

My personal opinion, Stan & John worked on that Cap 77 book, so that's authentic and appealing. And if you could have had Purcell who played Cap in the '50s serials sign it, that would also be very cool because of the shared time period. But as much as I love Evans' Cap portrayal, his sig on a GA book would just feel wrong. Same goes double for Keaton. Either would seriously diminish the appeal for me.

I see what you are saying and makes sense, had not thought of it like that. I actually have two modern day comics signed by Evans and CGC'd already, so maybe I can just leave alone. As for Batman, makes sense too. I happen to have some nice copies of the Batman comics from the movie back when Keaton was in the role, so maybe I will just go with those as well and leave the Batman #10 in the case.

On 6/24/2020 at 8:48 PM, merlinflex said:

For the record, I am looking both for appeal/bragging rights (75%) and future value (25%), but I am more of a collector and less of a seller, having only sold two GA comics in 5 years.  The rest I have mounted on my office wall and plan to pass on to my kids in the future and they may keep or sell, depending on their situation decades from now, who knows.

Here's the thing with signature series books, when you get them signed you may (MAY)  be adding (some) value to your books but you are definitely decreasing the size of your market. There are far fewer signature series collectors, and even fewer that collect golden age books that have been through the signature series process. You MIGHT be increasing the value (maybe) but you are definitely shrinking your future field of buyers, which is something Im never a fan of for my own collection. 

On 6/28/2020 at 11:44 PM, miraclemet said:

Here's the thing with signature series books, when you get them signed you may (MAY)  be adding (some) value to your books but you are definitely decreasing the size of your market. There are far fewer signature series collectors, and even fewer that collect golden age books that have been through the signature series process. You MIGHT be increasing the value (maybe) but you are definitely shrinking your future field of buyers, which is something Im never a fan of for my own collection. 

Totally makes sense. Will have to take that into account as I move forward. Thanks

I'll echo what others are telling you.  They are your books.  Do what makes you feel happy, but adding Evans' or Keaton's signatures to  those books will yield a MUCH smaller pool of potential buyers when the time comes to sell.  Especially given that neither signature is exactly cheap, adding them will be a losing proposition from a financial perspective.  But again, if it brings you joy, do it.  

Personally for me, I can't stand actors signatures on any books unless that specific actor is on the cover.  What happens if you get Chris Evans or any other actor to sign a comic and then there's another actor that embodies that character even more?  There's typically multiple actors who play a character over the course of our generation.  

But as others have already said, collect and do what you want.  At the end of the day, you are the one who looks at your collection and the one that has to determine when and what to sell.  

Chris Evans signature on a modern photo variant of the Avengers cast is more desirable than Evan's signature on a GA cap.  To be honest, I am one of the people that will pass right on by a GA book signed by Evans even at 3/4 GPA.  However, I would probably pay a premium for Evans signature on the photo variant cover Cap.  The below is currently on Amazon.  To be honest, I think that is pretty cool.  If all of those signatures were on a GA book, I would keep walking. There is no association between the signature and the book. 

51OOe3gkOSL._AC_.jpg

I personally wouldn't buy a GA book with an actor signature. I won't restate what's already been stated,  but I agree with much of the advice you've been given. Collectors love the characters and history of comic books.  Artists and writers are part of that history and for some,  signatures by them enhance the book. 

The actors who played those characters at any point in time are far less appealing.  They are a small blip in the history of legendary characters. Chris Evan's is the latest captain America,  but won't be the last. 

I loved Keaton as batman growing up, but my kids will have no idea who he is,  but they'll sure know who batman is.  

On 6/24/2020 at 8:48 PM, merlinflex said:

47mayu.jpg

Just a follow up, guess I will call it fate, with COVID everything cancelled, so got my Captain America Comics #77 hanging back on my wall with Stan Lee and John Romita jr sigs only. No Chris Evans. Think I will leave as is. thanks for all the input!

_rVPsdX5Ks3GOGwQQXvGta8vkHZ_BkZQ5RRK5Fo3GKbRymqJgaRiAqb7W18cXuP-rzpEoT0BDk6NXpfyDaL-6BCyPdfRe6bz4jIqOLN0y-uSzWusxUHwpeXZsjyV7vH46Wjul91J9hmhTl-fGsbl9DgPoLCG8iZv9c9HDKUcwmuLLDnPQyVasRkEVgnqDT9OW26iX9rbdvidr__MjXDQiDwBTv2vtE7k6engfEx2aS1oGhLaZmjPZ2_t7VhZyCXjNq0V1HfKdVqe2y7NHbT3dXCqh8pgfveLPhoXxRPgI1J4QYuaHPuucd1m8XQPnvSyq6Nk9OwLxiINb9I48WVuSnbJ19AasgDcc6-brq2rE0NTjFYQTSZPnAEFNw2RJlPIGORQCUlgjh4LY0MCXxVIy6PZ_kuwXBamTusGp9eSZVLmg_KtIqi8EnrfPvzC_2Ok0HG1kIvIorNptTl2WXTQ-KkzzC2VV1sKuCQbNxL9DBlZda33XRxc7cddFykI5gxPVuGNhEwXNJesIV0UtYuxXi2BMdKSRYUwBn66efJXK_H3QAt5QuJip6lLRCbsGt41GX-11EMcjec_q4VglqBbQEZkfkAYgINoc_qE16I3XXFz89GsyeZAhwiakvId-UoSwD8hLzFQb1UcG9EWGYpKxtFJoxdJWej1OWGxzHc3QYbdswrnhGaCMBO4w75PTw=w629-h943-no?authuser=0