• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

5,989 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2021 at 2:28 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

And I certainly wouldn't want my loved ones to face that burden. 

That is why I have bequeathed my collection to the local cat's home.

They have already applied for planning permission for a statue of me in the grounds of their new palatial premises. The JCBs will start there as soon as i pop my clogs.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:26 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

And we have knocked up a century on this thread, too.

Not too shabby for a brief review. Imagine if we did a detailed one. 

On 11/13/2021 at 6:30 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

They have already applied for planning permission for a statue of me in the grounds of their new palatial premises. The JCBs will start there as soon as i pop my clogs.

I bequeathed my Charltons too. They bequeathed them back. 

There were a few left over which will go into A & G's December sale.

Some silver age Charlton are included.

There were some puzzling gaps in Ian's collection. the Batman, Detective, and especially World's Finest start much later than the Superman titles, which go back to the late 1950s.

Showcase and Brave & Bold have gaps, looks like he saved only the mainstream characters.

No Mystery In Space or Wonder Woman.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:35 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

There were a few left over which will go into A & G's December sale.

Some silver age Charlton are included.

I'll be watching. 

On 11/13/2021 at 6:35 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

There were some puzzling gaps in Ian's collection. the Batman, Detective, and especially World's Finest start much later than the Superman titles, which go back to the late 1950s.

Showcase and Brave & Bold have gaps, looks like he saved only the mainstream characters.

No Mystery In Space or Wonder Woman.

Maybe he just didn't like them. 

On 11/13/2021 at 6:46 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

And only 1 tatty pre-hero Marvel.

That was a disappointment. I was hoping for a few of the early T&P missing list titles too. 

On 11/13/2021 at 6:30 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

That's very noble of you Albert, what with the world shortage of cat litter and all.

On 11/13/2021 at 8:28 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Not sure if this will show clearly, as there is not too much contrast on the original (pink paper) page.

It is an ad from Ian Penman in Fantasy Advertiser of March/April 1968.

Ian was a frequent advertiser, which is how I first made contact with him.

penman.jpg

Whenever you post these golden oldies, Albert, they seem like antiquities that long predate me, but the other day I  found one of Paul Gravett's old Fandom Digests and realised it was 42 years old.  Yikes. 

On 11/6/2021 at 11:00 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

The same owner had nice runs of Marvels populated with pence copies where they were produced and stamped cents where they were not. These two follow the pattern we've come to expect - no stamped TTA #62 (60-65 shown):

250392-0.thumb.jpg.dcd7af10c8a3eb6e41db0edc871b55ac.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Our old friend, the UKPV of TTA 61. 

On 11/13/2021 at 6:26 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

And we have knocked up a century on this thread, too.

Congrats to everyone who has posted on this wonderful thread. I'm aware I probably did more to derail it and send it off topic than anyone else, but it is a fantastic repository of some great information and learned speculation, so thanks to everyone, especially Steve. 

On 11/17/2021 at 4:01 PM, Malacoda said:

Congrats to everyone who has posted on this wonderful thread. I'm aware I probably did more to derail it and send it off topic than anyone else, but it is a fantastic repository of some great information and learned speculation, so thanks to everyone, especially Steve. 

I view your contributions as very much on topic Rich. Your analysis reinvigorated it and gave us all a lot of fresh food for thought. I used to get a little sensitive about keeping things on track. I don't anymore. Anything about UK distribution is welcome here. 

On 11/17/2021 at 7:23 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I view your contributions as very much on topic Rich. Your analysis reinvigorated it and gave us all a lot of fresh food for thought. I used to get a little sensitive about keeping things on track. I don't anymore. Anything about UK distribution is welcome here. 

+1

A rare GSP sticker sighting from the bay...

342730742_gsp(2).jpg.176e9e96f605c87fe5002f8af73c1725.jpg

gsp.thumb.jpg.d220a6c8d6f837c55dafa45ae1b8c1b5.jpg

....plus a less obvious 1'3 stamp. And a penned '3'.

How much is this farking thing :bigsmile:

Nice cover banter there too, from the girls.