• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

5,987 posts in this topic

And this one might be the winner.  Firstly, you can't have midsts unless you're in the middle of more than one thing.  Secondly, words ending in O acquire an 'e' in the plural which tells you how to pronounce them....so comman-doze, not comman-doss. This gets dropped when the word already ends in two vowels (zoos, studios, etc), although this rule is very unevenly observed with some words always acquiring the E and some never acquiring it.  Thirdly, of course, the American army didn't actually have commandoes (or commandos) at all, so it's no wonder the Howlers spelt it wrongly, they didn't actually know which army they were in.  

spelling-sgtfury321.jpg?w=400&h=606

On 11/27/2022 at 11:45 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

............And whenever I came across the name of referee Terry Lunt in a football programme, I was sure it was a typo.

Me too. Jerry Lunt.

On 11/26/2022 at 4:03 PM, Malacoda said:

Also, I know this is just me, but another one of the 7th wave turned up last night. 

64 cs.jpg

I missed this. Nice.

What issues are outstanding now? We must be due another recap. 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:54 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

What issues are outstanding now? We must be due another recap. 

Down to 37 now out of about 500 possibles.  (For any recent joinees, these are UK-distributed US Marvel comics between Apr 69 - July 71 where we are trying to find cover stamped issues). 

Hulk 116, 137

ASM 76, 79, 94

Avengers 65, 70,72

Xmen 56, 58

DD 54, 58,59, 62,69

Iron Man 15, 21,22

Captain Marvel 13

Sub Mariner 20,23

Surfer 15, 16, 17

Chamber of Darkness 6,7,8 & Monsters on the Prowl 9 

Where Monsters Dwell 3,4,5,6,7

Amazing Adventures 3

Astonishing Tales 2,3,4

An interesting point:  I learnt a while back that World's distribution deal was negotiated wholly with Marvel - it was not through Curtis. The fact that Marvel's arrangement with T&P was so different (PV's vs returns) to DC's also strongly suggests that IND had nothing to do with it.  I was interested to see if the three months where the US distribution handed over from IND to Curtis had any impact on the exportation to T&P (Aug 69 - last full IND, Sept - split between the two, Oct - first full Curtis).  It has no impact on this unique PV+CS distribution phase.  In fact Aug & Oct we have 100% - a CS for every PV - and only one missing in Sept).  This supports the idea (or certainly offers no contradiction) that the US distributors played no role in the exportation to the UK.  Similarly, I am convinced the length of the 3rd hiatus was due to the handover from ECP to WCP which again suggests that the exportation to the UK was direct from the printers.  Also, given what we know of the distributor system - that the US distributors effectively bought (SOR) the comics from the publishers rather than merely distributed for them - it would make no sense for IND or Curtis to have been involved in the distribution of the UK-bound comics as their only role would have been in the shipping to Newark which was part of the printing deal anyway.  

I mention this because I know you're all as fascinated by distribution as me.  Now, as to the tyre pressure in the delivery trucks....

On 11/28/2022 at 8:32 PM, OtherEric said:

I want both the tire pressure on the truck taking the books to the boat and the tyre pressure on the trucks taking the books to the shops.

It’s the details like that that make this thread so colorful.  And colourful.

And the names of the drivers. 

On 11/28/2022 at 8:16 PM, Malacoda said:

ASM 76, 79, 94

I went cross-eyed looking for these the other week. 79 and 94 start to play tricks on you in the end, and you think you can see the stamp in the brickwork, the Prowler's cloak, your breakfast.....

On 11/28/2022 at 8:19 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

We're listening:popcorn:

Well, funny you should ask. Did you know that in early days of T&P (before our time), before they had the regional depots and regional sales managers, they used to cover the entire country with eight vans, all of which rolled out of the premises at London Road.  So tyre pressure was probably crucial on those roads, after the Luftwaffe had finished with them.  That is all. 

On 11/28/2022 at 8:42 PM, Malacoda said:

Well, funny you should ask. Did you know that in early days of T&P (before our time), before they had the regional depots and regional sales managers, they used to cover the entire country with eight vans, all of which rolled out of the premises at London Road.  So tyre pressure was probably crucial on those roads, after the Luftwaffe had finished with them.  That is all. 

I knew you wouldn't let us down Rich :bigsmile:

1829916664_FredThorpe1b.PNG.a6c4653a812e6da0d8c3f694d1081e58.PNG

On 11/28/2022 at 8:38 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

And the names of the drivers. 

At Oadby, the fleet was looked after by an ex-copper called Tom Goodacre who also rode shotgun on the wages van.  Given that the wages were all paid in cash, 'rode shotgun' is quite possibly not a metaphor.