• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,007 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2022 at 10:11 PM, OtherEric said:

Well said, Albert's work is amazing to behold.

On a different note, were they the UK Ace Doubles or imported American editions?  I've got a fairly decent collection of the US doubles but I've only seen scant reference to the UK versions... enough to know they sound fascinating.

They were all imported cents editions. I think that they were 1/- each. This would have been in the late 60s after I'd stopped buying comics. I devoured those weird sci-fi novels voraciously. I had no idea that there were UK versions.

On 12/3/2022 at 6:34 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

With hindsight, of course, I should have clung like a limpet to everything. The collection of one whom the bug has truly bitten should resemble a black hole, once the book has crossed the event horizon, it is there without hope of returning to the outside world.

Well, emotionally and psychologically, yes. But space and finances must surely have been insurmountable limits to your collecting?  I never had enough pocket money to worry about collecting too many comics, so I never really acquired the mindset that it was possible to have too many.  My house now looks like a Pink Floyd concert. 

On 12/4/2022 at 5:22 PM, OtherEric said:

One of my great regrets is that I never had the chance to see a Pink Floyd concert.

Saw Roger Waters do The Wall twice, though!  Incredible shows.

Last chance to see Roger this year.  God knows how he & McCartney & Elton & the Stones & Sparks & the Eagles & Daltrey & Townsend keep going.  Springsteen is 73 and he's barely slowed down. 

On 12/4/2022 at 9:30 AM, Malacoda said:

Last chance to see Roger this year.  God knows how he & McCartney & Elton & the Stones & Sparks & the Eagles & Daltrey & Townsend keep going.  Springsteen is 73 and he's barely slowed down. 

I missed Roger here a couple months ago.  Elton was the last show I saw before Covid hit.  Saw McCartney a few years ago, I started the show hoping I would have his energy when I reached his age and ended wishing I had his energy now.  Then for the encore he brought the surviving members of Nirvana on stage to join him.  Incredible shows, all.

Would dearly love to see the Who some time.  The Eagles keep going by getting their kids to play as they die off, apparently.  Which makes as much sense as anything, I suppose.

A comic to pull us semi back on topic, although pretty sure this particularly copy has never made it to the UK.

Marvel_Super_Special_04.thumb.jpg.5c4d7313255863fb204dfd4227ff04d9.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
typo

On 12/4/2022 at 5:36 PM, OtherEric said:

Would dearly love to the Who some time

Very strong live. Haven't seen them for a few years. Saw them at Wembley Arena (about 60% of the size of MSG, 70% of the Hollywood Bowl).but my favourite gig of theirs was the Royal Albert Hall, just because it's such a wonderful venue.  

Royal Albert Hall Facts You Need to Know | The London Pass®

Royal Albert Hall: An integral part of British culture – The Upcoming

On 12/4/2022 at 5:36 PM, OtherEric said:

A comic to pull us semi back on topic, although pretty sure this particularly copy has never made it to the UK.

I don't think any of those Super Specials were distributed here. I saw the Close Encounters one and the Battlestar Galactica one in comic shops but they are a very rare sighting in the UK. 

On 12/4/2022 at 9:51 AM, Malacoda said:

Very strong live. Haven't seen them for a few years. Saw them at Wembley Arena (about 60% of the size of MSG, 70% of the Hollywood Bowl).but my favourite gig of theirs was the Royal Albert Hall, just because it's such a wonderful venue.  

Royal Albert Hall Facts You Need to Know | The London Pass®

Royal Albert Hall: An integral part of British culture – The Upcoming

I don't suppose you thought to count how many holes it would take to fill the hall while you were there, did you?

On 12/4/2022 at 11:14 AM, themagicrobot said:

As these Marvel Super Specials were 50p or 60p back in the late 1970s I assume these prices for magazines in the 1980s are actually £1.50. Never ever seen it written as 1£.50 before I must say.

Still arguably better than 1L rather than 1£, which they tried on this one:

Marvel_Super_Special_27.jpg

Marvel_Super_Special_27.jpg

It appears that Ethel had to stamp many of these magazines along with the DC 80 Page Giants. Eventually she complained about having to look at all this violence against women and a man was brought in to deal with the Adult stuff. He ruined so many magazines with his lack of dexterity with the stamperer that they began printing stickers for him to use instead. Or not.

daring.thumb.jpg.2f8087867caaed3b993ec781e9f0731a.jpg

1262865658_mansdaring.thumb.jpg.bb73199decd9a8a7798c7a0e0e9bd261.jpg

This is disgraceful!

To think that the moral fibre of our youth is being undermined by such trash!

Probably a Commie plot to bring our proud island to its knees.

What we need is a campaign to clean up this sort of filth. When we have got rid of the worst of the worst, maybe we could reassure the public by placing a small stamp in the top right hand corner, to show that the magazine is safe for their children, as well as themselves.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
correct typo