• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,064 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, Malacoda said:

Indeed. Even then. I've owned 4 copies of Avengers 96 over the years, every one of them water damaged, and clearly these were not ballast. 

If we could pinpoint the actual day of delivery, we might be able to find a website that tells us whether it was raining heavily that day. 

On 2/6/2023 at 12:12 PM, Malacoda said:

Bless you for checking.  I think it's interesting that even Duncan picked up on the anomalous stamps on that one.  However, no one lists it as rare, LD or ND so the whole shipment must have rocked up at some point. 

He did spot a lot, that man, to be fair. Notwithstanding all the subsequent things the likes of us have discovered, he was one of the few paying attention at the time and deserves a lot of credit for what he's done and for just for giving a damn. 

Anyway, Pat's just arrived pat.gif.7e610102b411a794d8b1904639a3cbff.gif

It's going to be a good day, as I smell Charltons.... 

On 2/6/2023 at 12:14 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

You said AF, which is what Albert posted. Miller didn't do AF, they did AA. And those AA's you just posted are mine 

Right, but AA is AF.  It's AA from 1-6, then gets retitled as AAF from 7 to 14 and then AF for the last issue.  So, if we're being that precise, Albert posted AAF not AF.   This is weird, it sounds like we're disagreeing with each other when we're actually agreeing.    :juggle:     Nevertheless, your point is well taken.   By this point, T&P were sweeping the table and the rest of them are PV's. 

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

On 2/6/2023 at 12:30 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's going to be a good day, as I smell Charltons.... 

When I pick up a silver age comic, the first thing I do is give it the nasal appraisal. 

Edited by Malacoda

On 2/6/2023 at 12:41 PM, Malacoda said:

Right, but AA is AF.  It's AA from 1-6, then gets retitled as AAF from 7 to 14 and then AF for the last issue.  So, if we're being that precise, Albert posted AAF not AF.   This is weird, it sounds like we're disagreeing with each other when we're actually agreeing.    :juggle:     Nevertheless, your point is well taken.   By this point, T&P were sweeping the table and the rest of them are PV's. 

I know, I'm just gently winding you up Rich, seeing as how you have a habit lately of telling me things that you learned from me in the first place :baiting:

Now bog off, as I'm trying to scan Charltons :bigsmile:

Spoiler

I love you really <3

On 2/6/2023 at 12:44 PM, Malacoda said:

When I pick up a silver age comic, the first thing I do is give it the nasal appraisal. 

Nasal appraisal's got a nice ring to it. I gave it a right good nasal appraisal :bigsmile:

Now will you bog off! 

On 2/6/2023 at 12:52 PM, Malacoda said:

I've got people in Oadby to upset. 

Ask them if they know what the stamp numbers mean.

Spoiler

2144782902_jnlaugh.gif.6edbe2c754605b54c6063fa117548073.gif

On 2/6/2023 at 12:41 PM, Malacoda said:

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Crikey mate those AAFs are absolutely gorgeous. Are they yours?

On 2/6/2023 at 5:40 PM, Redshade said:

Crikey mate those AAFs are absolutely gorgeous. Are they yours?

If only.  A seller called sagrada2004 on the bay has all these beauties.  This number 8 doesn't even have corner blunting. 

Picture 1 of 6

On 2/6/2023 at 6:36 PM, Malacoda said:

If only.  A seller called sagrada2004 on the bay has all these beauties.  This number 8 doesn't even have corner blunting. 

Picture 1 of 6

Wow! You're not wrong, the bloke has some lovely stuff on his site (with prices to match), I think that I'll buy an extra lottery card this week. 

On 2/6/2023 at 7:04 PM, Redshade said:

Wow! You're not wrong, the bloke has some lovely stuff on his site (with prices to match), I think that I'll buy an extra lottery card this week. 

Yup. I mean they would really have to be in VF/NM to justify those price tags, but if you wanted to collect those issues in that condition, you could wait a lifetime to see them all come up again.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on Saturday. 

ps the Alan Class reprint of FF 1 has an interesting price tag.  I have this recurring dream where I buy Alan Class's  house..."No, no Alan, don't bother to clear out the attic, basement, garage and shed.....I'll take care of that" 

Edited by Malacoda

On 2/6/2023 at 11:40 PM, Malacoda said:

Yup. I mean they would really have to be in VF/NM to justify those price tags, but if you wanted to collect those issues in that condition, you could wait a lifetime to see them all come up again.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on Saturday. 

ps the Alan Class reprint of FF 1 has an interesting price tag.  I have this recurring dream where I buy Alan Class's  house..."No, no Alan, don't bother to clear out the attic, basement, garage and shed.....I'll take care of that" 

Ah! the old cleaning-out-the-house-of-an-aged-relative dream.:)

On 2/7/2023 at 11:53 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

Hands off!

My clogs are still unpopped, my perch is still occupied, and I have no plans regarding daisies..

You know the funny thing is, none of us on here know each other, but we've some idea of how much money is tied up in each other's comic collections, whereas our actual rellies are in for quite a surprise. I wonder how many of the Comicscenti have let the other rellies fight over the Limoges porcelain figurine and the silver teaspoons while quietly carrying the boxes down from the attic.  

On 2/3/2023 at 10:58 PM, Malacoda said:

Many thanks, Albert.  Might you have a note in your records from your purchases at the time that says it was a late purchase or might it just be missing from the list of purchases at the time indicating it was not bought for some reason?

My yellowing parchment scrolls go back only as far as 1966 (AD, lest any confusion arise).

The earliest FF purchase that I still retain that I can definitely identify as new from the shops was # 59, in June 1967, although I bought many issues, including # 1, 5 and 7 new at the time of issue, and probably more that I have forgotten.

Alas, I disposed of my first and second collections for a pittance and later, owing to shortage of funds, preferred to buy secondhand, and therefore cheaper copies.

But I did, when I returned to my senses, source my favourite titles as soon as they appeared, even at the eye-watering price of 9d and later 10d. Among them was FF, then Marvel's flagship, as I could not bear the though of my collection lapsing into incompleteness.

My copy of # 39 is below, bearing the tiddler sized stamp. I cannot guarantee that it is the original copy that found its way into my hoard, as given the chance, I was always eager to upgrade, and whether the copy was cents or pence was at the time a matter of supreme indifference. I can say, however, that # 39 was not in any shorter supply that the other issues surrounding it.

Good luck finding a copy with a stamp more to your liking, there must be a few out there.

comicff39 (2).jpg

On 2/7/2023 at 8:25 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

whether the copy was cents or pence was at the time a matter of supreme indifference

1670378873_DrWhoWTF.gif.659dff968f7644844bc1d722204c68df.gif

On 2/7/2023 at 8:25 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

I can say, however, that # 39 was not in any shorter supply that the other issues surrounding it.

Good luck finding a copy with a stamp more to your liking, there must be a few out there.

No, and is not in any shorter supply now nor is listed as rare by any other sources, but the facts that all copies bear the new stamp, none of them bear the old stamp and the numbers are out of sync seem to support the idea that it rocked up later.  Many thanks Albert.