• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Grade Silver Age certified 9.6 and higher!
5 5

269 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2022 at 10:07 PM, Microchip said:

Deadman is heading for a DC movie sometime soon....if the rumours are to be believed.

Oh, I mean I know there’s been a solo movie for him in development as well as the justice league dark film. But I just personally love the character. Here’s my other copies completing the set.

3EA6819C-0BD2-4F68-845A-5DAC54B0ADC9.jpeg

4AC81035-E251-49E4-8BE1-850A61AE4562.jpeg

632E8AA6-9F38-41DE-87B0-A23DF3442C5C.jpeg

06C25CF4-E71A-4A47-85A4-336CF25964BD.jpeg

0D4ED7FE-648B-4DFD-9E11-128E9F4C7997.jpeg

E66C64FD-B0FA-4C19-BED8-E7EE1FAAAAD2.jpeg

971F8C19-4CAD-4EB0-B5F6-10DA7268E3BD.jpeg

60C3B925-458A-4079-986A-554050CD1D02.jpeg

On 11/2/2022 at 10:37 PM, Microchip said:

Gorgeous books!!

Thanks! I always try to upgrade when something comes along, but it’s super tough finding these in 9.6 or 9.8. And obviously with issue 205 you’re spending a ton to get the higher grade options, 9.4 or 9.6, no 9.8’s exist. But it’s a fun silver age set to collect. Awesome Neal Adam’s art!

On 1/19/2023 at 7:00 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Here's one of mine... Iron Man #1 was the first "expensive" comic I ever bought... $12 for about a vg copy from Mike's Comic Hut in Flushing, NY in 1979.  Think I was 15 years old and I remember being very nervous that I'd be in big trouble if my mother found out that I'd spent that kind of money on a comic book!  Many years later, as an independent adult, I bought this upgrade.  Still have that old one buried in a box somewhere and frankly of the two, the vg copy is the one I'm more likely to keep forever... just too nostalgic for me!

iron man #1.jpg

WOW, that's an incredible copy!!! White pages too!!! Wow  (worship)

On 1/21/2023 at 12:08 AM, Microchip said:

Interesting, I've never seen a SA MHII book before.  I was use to thinking they were pure BA books.

I HAVE seen some before, but I can't remember any specifics. In fact, I may be mistaken, but I think there was some discussion if Mile High ll should be a pedigree or not. My memory may be off on that. Perhaps someone else knows about what I recall. It's actually NOT listed as a pedigree in the CGC pedigree list, which is weird because this is obviously a newest generation label, so I don't know why it wouldn't be listed as a pedigree.  (shrug)

On 1/21/2023 at 12:08 AM, Microchip said:

Interesting, I've never seen a SA MHII book before.  I was use to thinking they were pure BA books.

I just posted my book to my friend Billy's Pedigree type set thread so it's back on page one now. He's got a Mile High ll Silver Age book, a DD 58, posted on the 8th page of that thread, in case you want to check it out. (thumbsu

Edited by Frisco Larson

On 1/19/2023 at 5:00 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Here's one of mine... Iron Man #1 was the first "expensive" comic I ever bought... $12 for about a vg copy from Mike's Comic Hut in Flushing, NY in 1979.  Think I was 15 years old and I remember being very nervous that I'd be in big trouble if my mother found out that I'd spent that kind of money on a comic book!  Many years later, as an independent adult, I bought this upgrade.  Still have that old one buried in a box somewhere and frankly of the two, the vg copy is the one I'm more likely to keep forever... just too nostalgic for me!

iron man #1.jpg

@EastEnd1 would that have been Carbonaro's place in Forest Hills?

On 1/22/2023 at 11:14 AM, Dr. Love said:

@EastEnd1 would that have been Carbonaro's place in Forest Hills?

No, the owner was another Mike... not sure of his last name.  If you're familiar with Queens, the shop was in Flushing on Northern Blvd, right next to the UA Quartet movie theater (the theater is long gone now, as is the shop).  This "Mike" looked a little like Bob Ross... I remember him being a little ornery.  He was good friends with George Perez who made frequent appearances at the shop.  Mike's Comic Hut was actually the first comic shop I had ever seen... stumbled on it by accident when I was going to the movies one day. 

On 1/22/2023 at 11:55 AM, Dr. Love said:

Yeh I remember him. My first big sell off, when I went to college upstate and my mother refused to store my books, was to him. Pennies on the dollar, welcome to comics buddy!

Oh man, that is funny... but that's the way it worked back then.  There was another place close by... Richie's Comic Den on Bell Blvd in Bayside.  Richie was much nicer to deal with and that's where I bought most of my books back then.  Did you ever stop by that one?  The famous Howard Rogofsky was there all the time.

Bell was a little too far for me, I gave my money to Carbonaro and to Al and Chris Parente at Little Nemo's. Both within walking distance on Austin St.  And the eye candy on that block in the mid 70's, short shorts and platform shoes, was more intriguing to me than what I'd see on Northern or Bell.