• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard 1/2 The Maxx
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Hello

I believe a recent new listing in The Maxx category is incorrect. There is no such thing as a 1/2 The Maxx silver foil.

Just regular (Purple)

Gold (Incentive)

Red (Test)

Blue (Test)

Thanks 😊 

• Administrator
On 7/2/2020 at 2:10 PM, IkewithMike said:

Hello

I believe a recent new listing in The Maxx category is incorrect. There is no such thing as a 1/2 The Maxx silver foil.

Just regular (Purple)

Gold (Incentive)

Red (Test)

Blue (Test)

Thanks 😊 

Hello @IkewithMike,

Thank you for your post and my apologies for the delayed response as our experts had to do some digging. We are aware that the Blue and Red foils were created in limited quantities (50 each) and were not aware of a Silver foil until one was received by our team. The book was deemed to be genuine, free of alterations, and was labeled as a silver foil. If you have any credible research to debunk this book I would gladly pass it along to our experts for review. 

13 minutes ago, Matt G said:

Hello @IkewithMike,

Thank you for your post and my apologies for the delayed response as our experts had to do some digging. We are aware that the Blue and Red foils were created in limited quantities (50 each) and were not aware of a Silver foil until one was received by our team. The book was deemed to be genuine, free of alterations, and was labeled as a silver foil. If you have any credible research to debunk this book I would gladly pass it along to our experts for review. 

Well first off, the red and blues only had a print run of 10.

As for the silver foil, is there a picture to back up this claim? 

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Well first off, the red and blues only had a print run of 10.

As for the silver foil, is there a picture to back up this claim? 

Hello @IkewithMike,

CGC does not take photos of the books they grade. In the future, we hope to add the book images to the cert verification page but this process is not in place. 

1 minute ago, Matt G said:

Hello @IkewithMike,

CGC does not take photos of the books they grade. In the future, we hope to add the book images to the cert verification page but this process is not in place. 

Understandable, as it is, I haven't ever been able to find any existing copies of a silver maxx 1/2, either for sale or been produced. Im leaning towards it being a defect, most likely from a purple or gold, unless a silver test was made as well as the blues and reds, and again, searching online shows nothing, other than the 4 variants shown above

Now take this for instance, how come it's not on the census but this mystery silver is?

This is an obvious printing defect, would it be classified as a purple, labeled as printing defect? Why is the label blank?

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Now take this for instance, how come it's not on the census but this mystery silver is?

This is an obvious printing defect, would it be classified as a purple, labeled as printing defect? Why is the label blank?

@IkewithMike,

I would love to assist further but please understand that I am versed in the CGC registry and this is veering towards technical grading issues and how they relate to the census. I would suggest contacting our customer service team with the information provided as they will need to discuss with our experts. My first guess is that the book may have been mis-labeled and sent back in as a mechanical error to be fixed which means that it would not be in the census as a stand alone copy. Also the book may have been categorized under the standard issue along with a notation of an error. If that is the case, I assume that we would not create a new "book" in our census as it is technically the same but with a defect. 

submissions@cgccomics.com

2 minutes ago, Matt G said:

@IkewithMike,

I would love to assist further but please understand that I am versed in the CGC registry and this is veering towards technical grading issues and how they relate to the census. I would suggest contacting our customer service team with the information provided as they will need to discuss with our experts. My first guess is that the book may have been mis-labeled and sent back in as a mechanical error to be fixed which means that it would not be in the census as a stand alone copy. Also the book may have been categorized under the standard issue along with a notation of an error. If that is the case, I assume that we would not create a new "book" in our census as it is technically the same but with a defect. 

submissions@cgccomics.com

That makes sense, thank you.

I see this situation only being resolved with photographical evidence. I have a hard time believing the "experts" would take a Darker Image platinum and label it a Wizard 1/2 silver, but that is the closest to rational I can find for whats happened here.

Not one sale of a 1/2 silver recorded anywhere (eBay, clink, comic collect, heritage) and no record in available databases. I mean it would be great to find a comic printed in 93 that has lived underground this long, but its highly unlikely 

Interesting.  I've not heard of nor seen a silver foil Maxx 1/2.  There was that one with no foil title, but you already linked to it.  Weird for it to show up on the census with nobody showing it off even. I imagine it'd be even weirder if the person who had it graded just hoarded it too.  My dollar says it'll come up for sale soon enough if it's legit.  Thanks for tagging me and putting this on my radar. 

Also, what happened to RMA?  I'm not super active, but didn't realize he disappeared.  He's still got books for sale on eBay... 

2 hours ago, baslug said:

Interesting.  I've not heard of nor seen a silver foil Maxx 1/2.  There was that one with no foil title, but you already linked to it.  Weird for it to show up on the census with nobody showing it off even. I imagine it'd be even weirder if the person who had it graded just hoarded it too.  My dollar says it'll come up for sale soon enough if it's legit.  Thanks for tagging me and putting this on my radar. 

Also, what happened to RMA?  I'm not super active, but didn't realize he disappeared.  He's still got books for sale on eBay... 

He had enough of being trolled and left the forums. Still conducting business but feels his knowledge would be appreciated elsewhere. Wish he wasn't wrong

11 minutes ago, TfromSanD said:

Gocollect certainly wouldn't have the silver foil listed. They barely added the red foil in March only after I asked why it wasn't there.

Doesn't alleviate the fact that in 30 years nobody on the boards has ever seen one, let alone die hard maxx collectors. 

Is it possible? Maybe

Is it more likely a mistake? Probably 

23 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

Doesn't alleviate the fact that in 30 years nobody on the boards has ever seen one, let alone die hard maxx collectors. 

Is it possible? Maybe

Is it more likely a mistake? Probably 

Yeah, i just want to see it. Kind of s#!t in my cheerios after I just found a red maxx 1/2 for the silver to pop up out of no where

Edited by TfromSanD

27 minutes ago, TfromSanD said:

Yeah, i just want to see it. Kind of s#!t in my cheerios after I just found a red maxx 1/2 for the silver to pop up out of no where

Why? The red and blues are certified test prints. If this silver/platinum exists the most likely thing is that its an error, like the virgin covers that have popped up

Personally, I dont know what makes any of these special, other than the insane low print run

10 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

Why? The red and blues are certified test prints. If this silver/platinum exists the most likely thing is that its an error, like the virgin covers that have popped up

Personally, I dont know what makes any of these special, other than the insane low print run

That's pretty much what does it for me. I like having books others don't Have or can't get. 

Edited by TfromSanD

3 hours ago, TfromSanD said:

That's pretty much what does it for me. I like having books others don't Have or can't get. 

I cant justify paying that much for something I don't readily collect