• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN 138 COVER FOR SALE

40 posts in this topic

I guess now we will be able to get more clues as to whether Byrne is stable, sinking or rising ?

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/auc...;hdnSearch=true

http://www.thecomicshop.com.au/site5/lot069/x-men-138-vg-marvel.jpg

Heritage is defining many smaller art markets by offering top pieces by certain artists each auction. They've done this with Doug Beekman, Enrich, Jose Gonzales, Ken Kelly, and Kelly Freas among others.

Heritage is defining many smaller art markets by offering top pieces by certain artists each auction. They've done this with Doug Beekman, Enrich, Jose Gonzales, Ken Kelly, and Kelly Freas among others.

Anyone with any guestimates of final auction price ?

I say 30 K.

Is there an image on the auction listing?

Not yet. Heritage is 'building the auction'. I sometimes check to see what they have for the next auction this way but it is just a sneak peek type thing. It will be a couple of weeks for the image.

Well then, I'll have to see the image. From the text, it seems that the actual cover is incomplete, with only the Cyclops and X-Men part, but none of the classic covers, which were probably added later.

If so, I don't see the cover even getting near other Byrne X-Men works, unless there is a completist out there with the covers to 131-137 & 139-143.

It certainly does sound like the only real art is cyclops and the x-men, with all the previous covers/background being photo-stats (which is what we'd expect, of course). 30K sounds about right, but I agree it will depend on what the actual art looks like. Let's wait for a scan.

I hear there are at least 2 big collectors who covet this cover. That's all it takes. Personally, I think it is the least desirable of all the covers I've ever seen for sale by the Byrne/ Austin team but my early estimate is 50k+!!! DF 893whatthe.gif

Hi Dan,

Even if it's mostly stat? Have the 2 big buyers physically seen the cover? Maybe it's not what they "remember".

Best,

I don't know that I'd characterize it as "mostly" stat since the important/ dramatic part of the cover- the figures- are going to be art. Picture the cover without the covers in the background. To me, it's just as dramatic if not as striking.

I didn't mean to say that it is mostly stat. It was a hypothetical question, since none of us have seen the actual physical art yet. I agree that the most important aspect of the cover, the cyclops image and the x-men behind him, are likely all original and in good condition, and will make the cover desirable. Sometimes, however, buyers will back off on an item after seeing what the original art looks like in person. There are plenty of examples where this has happened.

Best,

Actually, if I picture the cover with just the heros, and everything else completely white (no logos, no corner box, no word balloons, no background stat of all the covers), there's no way I'd find it as impressive. Plus, without all those things, the rest of the board is/was probably full of glue stains, that may have since been covered up by replacement stats.

Anyway, my point is that sometimes condition issues (and I'll use the term loosely) can make the difference between a 20K piece and a 60K piece. That may very well be the case here. We won't, of course, know until they put up a nice scan.

Personally, I've always liked this cover. It was one of the first comics I bought. Depending on what it looks like in the scan, I may throw my hat in the ring as well. We'll see.

Best,

Hi Dan,

Even if it's mostly stat? Have the 2 big buyers physically seen the cover? Maybe it's not what they "remember".

Best,

To my eye, the cover is mostly blank paper. You can tell just by looking at the comic that there's not a lot of art there. But, this Byrne cover market is funny. The determining factor in pricing is whether the big guns have owned it or not. If it's something they want and fresh to market- the sky's the limit. If they've owned... then the current owner seems to be left holding the bag.

What I am saying is that there are very few people who value these covers stoopidly high. The last cover Heritage had sold for a 20k loss!!!!! from what the seller had paid. Why, because the big guns had owned it and didn't want it back.

By the way, there are many markets like this that are dominated by a select few people. Not just Byrne Xmen. All I'm saying is be careful. If you hear about certain xmen covers going for 100k, take it with a grain of salt... they may never be worth that again. I could be wrong, but I'm not. DF

Anyone with any guestimates of final auction price ?

I say 30 K.

So that means it`ll come in about $10K, and you won`t bid at all (again), of course.

tth,

You are clearly a miserable person. LOSER.

KK

i have to agree with heartened. until we see a scan of the actual cover being offered for sale. i won,t place a price on it till i see it. it may not look as great as we may think. or it may look fine. but for sure you won,t see the true heavy hitters bid till they show a scan of the cover.

larry ;]

What I am saying is that there are very few people who value these covers stoopidly high. The last cover Heritage had sold for a 20k loss!!!!! from what the seller had paid. Why, because the big guns had owned it and didn't want it back.

I also wonder how much actual cash is backing up these "stoopidly high" values and how much is due to trading one form of (over)inflated wampum for another. With some notable exceptions, I get the sense that there is a negative correlation between how long one has been collecting comic art and how much cash (as opposed to inflated trade) one is willing to pony up in a typical transaction.

I wonder if some of the perceived disappointing results from some of the recent Heritage auctions is really just a function of there not being enough available cash in this hobby to soak up all the art supply hitting the market (I'm talking about cash that's willing to be deployed into the art market, not total collectors' cash, which is much higher of course). When I read stories on ComicArt-L about people pooh-poohing the X-Men #114 cover art because they once owned it or they know it has passed through so many hands, it simply doesn't hold water for me. That cover is mighty fine. Albert Moy was willing to pony up the bucks for it. Everyone else just seems to be making excuses to either defend the market for other Byrne art or their own personal stature in the hobby. As in most other areas of life, money talks and bull893censored-thumb.gif walks.

Hi Gene,

I know the guy who sold/consigned the X-Men 114 cover to Heritage. He paid around 60K in cash for it about a year or so prior to this sale. His mistake was trying to sell it for cash so soon. I think he had no choice. If he were able to go part trade then he'd get back his 60K (or more), but in general if you want to make back what you have into a piece you need to be willing to wait for the market to ripen further, especially on high-ticket items.

Personally, and I'm sure you agree, I think a lot of collectors (both books and art) spend more than they can truly afford. Just because you can scrape the money together doesn't mean you can "afford" it, contrary to popular belief.

I've paid all-cash for over 90% of my collection, and there are many others like me (and you!). But, I agree with you that certain well-known long-time collectors do most of their "buying" with part trade. That, sometimes, is a function of what their actual income is, since many long-time collectors are not individuals with steady sources of large amounts of disposable income. Also, as has been mentioned in other threads, it is often necessary to tempt a seller with something more than money (i.e. another piece of unique art) in order to get the prize.

By the way, Gene, it's about time we all met up again for drinks/dinner. Actually, I think it's time for another NYC art get-together, maybe at Fischler's place. I'll ask him.

Best,