• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN 138 COVER FOR SALE

40 posts in this topic

What I am saying is that there are very few people who value these covers stoopidly high. The last cover Heritage had sold for a 20k loss!!!!! from what the seller had paid. Why, because the big guns had owned it and didn't want it back.

I also wonder how much actual cash is backing up these "stoopidly high" values and how much is due to trading one form of (over)inflated wampum for another. With some notable exceptions, I get the sense that there is a negative correlation between how long one has been collecting comic art and how much cash (as opposed to inflated trade) one is willing to pony up in a typical transaction.

I wonder if some of the perceived disappointing results from some of the recent Heritage auctions is really just a function of there not being enough available cash in this hobby to soak up all the art supply hitting the market (I'm talking about cash that's willing to be deployed into the art market, not total collectors' cash, which is much higher of course). When I read stories on ComicArt-L about people pooh-poohing the X-Men #114 cover art because they once owned it or they know it has passed through so many hands, it simply doesn't hold water for me. That cover is mighty fine. Albert Moy was willing to pony up the bucks for it. Everyone else just seems to be making excuses to either defend the market for other Byrne art or their own personal stature in the hobby. As in most other areas of life, money talks and bull893censored-thumb.gif walks.

I agree with everything you say here. DF 893applaud-thumb.gif

By the way, Gene, it's about time we all met up again for drinks/dinner. Actually, I think it's time for another NYC art get-together, maybe at Fischler's place. I'll ask him.

Sounds good - how about on Saturday, Sep. 10 (the first day of the next Big Apple Con; should have a good crowd of people in the city that day)?

If we're really lucky, maybe Krazy can come show us his Avengers #4 cover. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Without the real logo, corner box, background images, the overall cover seems rather bland, even though the main image is still there. I think I'll pass, unless it goes for much less than other covers have been going for.

Without the real logo, corner box, background images, the overall cover seems rather bland, even though the main image is still there. I think I'll pass, unless it goes for much less than other covers have been going for.

Agreed.

I think alotta of these Byrne Covers are becoming a game of hot potato. Byrne will go up only if people BELIEVE. The notion that people wont 'step up to the plate'on a given piece because they've 'already owned it' seems odd. Albert Moy got the last Heritage one a a steal of a price. Lets see where this one ends.

Ugh. I can see people paying up for it out of nostalgia and emotional connection to the book itself, but this piece looks like a freakin' train wreck. tonofbricks.gif

The UPC box kills it for me. If Colossus's leg, etc was drawn in it wouldnt be bad, but without much other image, that just pushes it over the edge.

Badsically you're paying 30k for a famous published pinup of Cyclops walking around with a sack.

Hmm..... what could make this cover undesirable?

Could it be....

WIN A SHOPPING SPREE!!

27_laughing.gif Yeah no kidding. Might as well buy the original art of some junk mail!

You are a certified twit !!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif HA !