• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, any type of card?
2 2

24 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, First Upgrade said:

Marvel Universe Series III, Wolverine Hologram #H-3...NEED a CGC 10!! For the WIN...

:banana:MU Series III Wolverine Hologram.jpg

Here's hoping they will consider expanding into at least the non-sports comic related cards from the 90s on in the near future. I've been looking through a lot of my stuff to see about weeding out things and was just looking for some kind of encapsulation for those really rare chase and prototype/ holographics. 

I'd be tempted to start grading some of my "worthless" cards because i've always had a nostalgic attachment to them.  Even though most are common as dirt, we could see a rise in the price of the common sets if they do start grading as i'm sure other collectors would start to get cards graded of their favorite heroes or to match their graded comics.

Over the years I've had a few trading cards signed at conventions. First time around I asked CGC if they certified these as they do the lobby cards. Unfortunately they don't. Even without a grade it would be nice to have a signature series cards showing they are authentic.

PS my other idea about mailing books directly to CGC for signatures is now a reality so hopefully my signature card idea can be made possible too.

On 7/6/2020 at 5:29 PM, mediaslave said:

What about the worthless but nostalgicly lovely Marvel Hologram cards from the 90s?

On 7/6/2020 at 8:29 PM, Green said:

Worthless? Have seen what psa 9 and 10s are hitting? Not so worthless anymore. 

I have all of the holograms from series 1, 2 and 3 (and a couple of doubles) in the official Marvel Binders, they were bought new and went straight into the albums.

It seems like leaving both money and opportunity on the table by only grading Pokemon and MTG cards.

A card has 4 corners, 4 edges and 2 surfaces (front and back), so it should not make a difference what they're grading.

It's like if a competitor to CGC emerged, as CGC's Card Division should be looking to earn market share from PSA and BGS and to a degree SGC (who is trying to climb back into the mix), and the new comic grading company said they only will grade Marvel and DC but not Dark Horse, IDW, Image, etc.

It's a flawed approach to entering the market hoping to get forward momentum.

It should be easy to set up grading centers where PSA and BGS are located to "steal" their employees if staffing is an issue too.

CGC needs to get into the non-sports and sports card market out of the gate.  MTG and Pokemon are popular but too niche.