• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have Pulps become the next “big thing”?
3 3

75 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2021 at 9:07 PM, aardvark88 said:

President M. Nelson hath just decreed (at about 1 hr 15 mins mark of Youtube) pulp trimming is NOT PLOD; will be blue label since pulp trimming is so common and 'accepted by the hobby.'

:facepalm:

On 7/20/2021 at 12:57 AM, Dr. Love said:

and digests too

Did he commit to grading digests in that video? I didn't watch the whole thing but saw the part about pulps. I've always wanted to get my Reform School Girl digest graded. Do you think they'll do the GGA Avon/Diversey digests like those?

On 7/20/2021 at 12:47 AM, asimovpulps said:

Thanks for sharing, super exciting!

This feels like the right move, especially since trimming will still be factored into grade. I believe Bookery caps at VG for trimmed issues - though my sense is CGC may lift that cap to FN- or FN+ for otherwise pristine copies to avoid a huge glut at VG.

I'd imagine with CGC still staffing up + the tsunami of initial submissions, we're probably still looking at 9-12+ months until we actually see slabs on the market? Over/under?

Pulp collectors should note, however, that there are 2 distinct kinds of trimming.  There is the trimming of just the overhang, which can be done tidily, or crudely with "kindergarten scissors" (both are common, actually).  But there is also the not infrequent trimming of the entire book!  This is a different animal.  This was done by many early pulp collectors, using professional paper cutters, so that their pulps would fit neatly on bookshelves.  These  may have up to a half inch cleaved off the entire book, making what appears to be a large square digest.  I would not grade any of these above "G" or maybe even "fair", as often even the pulp logo is affected.  Unfortunately, I have quite a few of these lying about. :frown:

On 7/9/2020 at 4:15 PM, comicparadox said:

A huuge problem with pulps is that they are, well...

pulps.

The paper quality even at the time of printing was no rag content, high acidity. It's very difficult to find pulps from the late 30s to early 50s with decent quality paper.

I have no problem finding pulps with good paper.

On 7/9/2020 at 6:04 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I mean would I pay $10-20 for a pulp with a cool cover? Sure. But that would be the high end for me. I can never see myself spending more because I’d rather spend that on comics. We might see certain covers that are horror or headlights or sci fi related go up a but but I can’t see it becoming a booming market. 

Does anyone have a VF copy of a pulp from the 30s or 40s? Every copy I’ve ever seen is 2.0-5.0 at best. Then again I don’t see many cuz they aren’t really on the radar.

"I mean would I pay $10-20 for a pulp with a cool cover?"
> I have never bought a pulp just because of the cover. I buy pulps to read.

"Does anyone have a VF copy of a pulp from the 30s or 40s?"
> They exist. But so what? You deal with what you find

"Every copy I’ve ever seen is 2.0-5.0 at best."
> Again, so what. The -value- of a pulp magazine is in the stories.

On 7/9/2020 at 7:19 PM, MrBedrock said:

Those are pulps!

Graded!

You owe me lunch and coffee!!!

No.
The issue of "Science Fiction +" is a digest magazine.
"Everyday Astrology" is an astrology magazine.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:07 PM, aardvark88 said:

CGC is actively hiring for their new pulp slabbing division. President M. Nelson hath just decreed (at about 1 hr 15 mins mark of Youtube) pulp trimming is NOT PLOD; will be blue label since pulp trimming is so common and 'accepted by the hobby.'

"pulp trimming is so common and 'accepted by the hobby.'"
> And just who said that? Trimmed pulps are always priced lower.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:26 AM, Bookery said:

Pulp collectors should note, however, that there are 2 distinct kinds of trimming.  There is the trimming of just the overhang, which can be done tidily, or crudely with "kindergarten scissors" (both are common, actually).  But there is also the not infrequent trimming of the entire book!  This is a different animal.  This was done by many early pulp collectors, using professional paper cutters, so that their pulps would fit neatly on bookshelves.  These  may have up to a half inch cleaved off the entire book, making what appears to be a large square digest.  I would not grade any of these above "G" or maybe even "fair", as often even the pulp logo is affected.  Unfortunately, I have quite a few of these lying about. :frown:

"Pulp collectors should note, however, that there are 2 distinct kinds of trimming."
Do not forget that some pulps were trimmed by the publisher.
And pulp collectors know this. But potential collectors of slabbed pulps may not.

"There is the trimming of just the overhang, which can be done tidily, or crudely with "kindergarten scissors" (both are common, actually).  But there is also the not infrequent trimming of the entire book!"
Great, both are "trimming".

On 2/18/2024 at 7:43 PM, Rick Hall said:

"I mean would I pay $10-20 for a pulp with a cool cover?"
> I have never bought a pulp just because of the cover. I buy pulps to read.

"Does anyone have a VF copy of a pulp from the 30s or 40s?"
> They exist. But so what? You deal with what you find

"Every copy I’ve ever seen is 2.0-5.0 at best."
> Again, so what. The -value- of a pulp magazine is in the stories.

Fair enough. I also buy comics too for the stories. I guess at the time I posted this (4 years ago wowza!) I am of the mindset that I prefer the art aspect of comics the most. With pulps, the only art aspect you get is the cover and occasionally a few interior drawings. That does not appeal to me is all. And my comment about condition was moreso the notion that it must be EXTREMELY hard to find higher grade pulps is all.

The only pulp I own...

:headbang:

I wonder if they will get around to grading "bedsheets" one day. 

Not that it matters until the encapsulation department and quality control gets their :censored: together. 

dfaa613c29331104c445d17168f60b4f.jpg

On 2/24/2024 at 12:49 PM, newshane said:

The only pulp I own...

:headbang:

I wonder if they will get around to grading "bedsheets" one day. 

Not that it matters until the encapsulation department and quality control gets their :censored: together. 

dfaa613c29331104c445d17168f60b4f.jpg

An excellent choice.

Yet another reason to love Queen:  They had the good taste and respect to hire Freas to recreate the artwork for the album cover, rather than getting somebody else to swipe it.

On 2/24/2024 at 3:44 PM, OtherEric said:

An excellent choice.

Yet another reason to love Queen:  They had the good taste and respect to hire Freas to recreate the artwork for the album cover, rather than getting somebody else to swipe it.

Every single thing about that album was absolutely epic. 

And we have Freas to thank for the awesome interior gatefold as well. Classic.