Have Pulps become the next “big thing”?
3 3

45 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2021 at 9:07 PM, aardvark88 said:

President M. Nelson hath just decreed (at about 1 hr 15 mins mark of Youtube) pulp trimming is NOT PLOD; will be blue label since pulp trimming is so common and 'accepted by the hobby.'

:facepalm:

On 7/20/2021 at 12:57 AM, Dr. Love said:

and digests too

Did he commit to grading digests in that video? I didn't watch the whole thing but saw the part about pulps. I've always wanted to get my Reform School Girl digest graded. Do you think they'll do the GGA Avon/Diversey digests like those?

On 7/20/2021 at 12:47 AM, asimovpulps said:

Thanks for sharing, super exciting!

This feels like the right move, especially since trimming will still be factored into grade. I believe Bookery caps at VG for trimmed issues - though my sense is CGC may lift that cap to FN- or FN+ for otherwise pristine copies to avoid a huge glut at VG.

I'd imagine with CGC still staffing up + the tsunami of initial submissions, we're probably still looking at 9-12+ months until we actually see slabs on the market? Over/under?

Pulp collectors should note, however, that there are 2 distinct kinds of trimming.  There is the trimming of just the overhang, which can be done tidily, or crudely with "kindergarten scissors" (both are common, actually).  But there is also the not infrequent trimming of the entire book!  This is a different animal.  This was done by many early pulp collectors, using professional paper cutters, so that their pulps would fit neatly on bookshelves.  These  may have up to a half inch cleaved off the entire book, making what appears to be a large square digest.  I would not grade any of these above "G" or maybe even "fair", as often even the pulp logo is affected.  Unfortunately, I have quite a few of these lying about. :frown: