• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WEIRD TALES Thread: Collecting The Unique Magazine
5 5

371 posts in this topic

On 3/27/2022 at 3:17 PM, Bugfarm said:

One of the remaining issues I still need.  I’m jealous, that is such a sharp copy.  Congrats

95 years old , but 25 cents a small fortune back then so how could peoples afford it?

On 4/23/2022 at 3:54 PM, Lost said:

I managed to snag the first Cthulhu story.  I was introduced to him through South Park 10 years ago and then started reading about the mythos. Cover isn't very memorable, but this is a tough to find ish. Only took about 10 years to get it!20220423_184634.thumb.jpg.0761bafe62151807b07a3929462f20e7.jpg

Big boy book. Greatest story in pulps. You're right about the cover, but I don't know of any novice or seasoned pulp collector that doesn't drool over the prospect of owning this book, me included.

On 4/23/2022 at 3:54 PM, Lost said:

I managed to snag the first Cthulhu story.  I was introduced to him through South Park 10 years ago and then started reading about the mythos. Cover isn't very memorable, but this is a tough to find ish. Only took about 10 years to get it!20220423_184634.thumb.jpg.0761bafe62151807b07a3929462f20e7.jpg

Congratulations!  I would actually say the cover is quite memorable... it's just that all the reasons it's memorable are bad ones!

On 7/28/2020 at 10:38 AM, RedFury said:

Weird Tales, Sep 1928

Cover by C.C. Senf

Senf's covers for Weird Tales are not generally well-regarded, then or now.  Lovecraft wrote to August Derleth about Senf "the present ‘artist’ Senf has no sense of the fantastic whatever."  However, Senf was an improvement over the cover artists that came before him, so there was incremental improvement that continued to Rankin before getting to the truly great Weird Tales artists like Brundage, St. John, Finlay and Bok.

I do, however, like a few of Senf's covers, and this is one.

Also, here's a picture of Farnsworth Wright, who was tall and thin, next to C.C. Senf, who wasn't.  :)

nhsFeBCh.jpg

That photo is amazing. CC Senf appears to be a midget. 

Here's another of the Weird Tales which arrived yesterday, which will be auctioned in the Saturday night auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (April 21-23, 2023 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL).

This one is the October 1933 issue, which among other tales features Robert E. Howard's Conan novelette, "The Pool of the Black One," as well as a reprint of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Festival" and Clark Ashton Smith's, "The Seed of the Sepulcher."

Weird Tales 1933 10 shot 1.jpg

Weird Tales 1933 10 shot 2.jpg