• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The WEIRD TALES Thread: Collecting The Unique Magazine
5 5

367 posts in this topic

I’m getting really close to a complete run.  I’m not sure if it’s allowed, but I’d appreciate any assistance you guys could provide me (pointing me in the right direction?) to fill in my missing books.  Here are the issues I’m still searching for.  Thanks much and happy collecting.

1927.......need 1/27, 8/27, 10,27

1926......need 1/26, 4/26, 9/26

1925......need  4/25, 5/25

1924......need 2/24

1923......need 7-8/23, 9/23, 10/23

On 12/18/2021 at 5:34 PM, OtherEric said:

In today.  The antepenultimate issue of the original run, it features the last new cover art and the Weird Tales debut of the last of the great Weird Tales creators from the classic run, with an illustration by Gahan Wilson.  I'm glad he managed to get in before the book was cancelled; even if he only turned up in two issues.  The scan of his page is from the internet, not my copy, but the scan of the cover is mine.

"antepenultimate" :golfclap:

On 1/11/2022 at 10:30 PM, Pulpvault said:

Several beautiful issues of Weird Tales from the estate of Bob Weinberg will be in the Friday night (May 6) auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL). They include this one, dated October 1928.

Weird Tales 1928 10.jpg

So vibrant an I can’t believe 1928‼️‼️

The strongest early competitor to Weird Tales was the pulp, Strange Tales, which ran for seven issues between September 1931 and January 1933. A complete set of Strange Tales will be in the Friday night (May 6) auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL) from the estate of Bob Weinberg. Here's the copy of the first issue which will be in the auction, with a classic cover by Hans Wesso and stories by authors such as Clark Ashton Smith and Ray Cummings. Smith's story in the issue, "The Return of the Sorcerer," would be reprinted in 1942 in the CAS Arkham House collection, "Out of Space and Time."

strange tales 1931 09.jpg